Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cystic fibrosis sufferers' ability to work in close-contact jobs.

Options
  • 01-03-2021 12:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭

https://www.rte.ie/news/regional/2020/1213/1184196-teacher-covid-warning/

Given that being a teacher involves close contact with pupils, especially children with special needs, and the fact that the flu and the common cold have a much more serious effect on people with cystic fibrosis (CF) than on other people, how was it possible, before the pandemic, for a CF sufferer to work in teaching or in any other job that involves close contact with people?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Not being aware of her full medical history , I couldn’t say .

• Registered Users Posts: 39 BurntAsh

People with CF have to take risks when working with people, they have to be sensible that their workplace isn't going to unduly affect their health (working as a carpenter-dust, plumber-mold, doctor/nurse-respiratory infections etc.) and rely on considerations from other people that sick people will let them know so they can do more work to keep themselves safe. That is why they manage their health as best they can to minimise risk of serious infection and tend to be more cautious (generally) but also around certain times of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭political analyst

Not being aware of her full medical history , I couldn’t say .

What difference does that make? Having CF means being more likely to become seriously ill upon being infected with even the common cold, doesn't it?

What difference does that make? Having CF means being more likely to become seriously ill upon being infected with even the common cold, doesn't it?

This was often but not always the case. However the new drugs that are being prescribed are restoring lung functions drastically, reversing malabsorbtion issues and reducing colonisation of harmful bacteria/pathogens in the lungs/sinuses among other things. At the moment it is hard to tell how resilient to infections these patients will be but is sensible for them to be cautious nonetheless.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

It means that CF patients are on a spectrum of severity . I’d imagine this woman knows where she stands . You and I don’t , so can’t act judge and jury .
    What exactly are you tryjj in bc to achieve in posting this thread ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭political analyst

It means that CF patients are on a spectrum of severity . I’d imagine this woman knows where she stands . You and I don’t , so can’t act judge and jury .
    What exactly are you tryjj in bc to achieve in posting this thread ?

I wasn't aware there was a spectrum of severity of CF - I assumed it to be a severe condition, full stop. I referred to her case as an example.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,492 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

It’s a severe condition, it’s a terminal illness.. nobody survives... people are living now well into their 40’s however and with improved medical care, treatments and medication, quality of life is much better... I had two sisters die from it, both under 8.

A teacher with CF isn’t a big deal.. a special needs teacher slightly more so... A....LOT more-so during covid.

If I was a special needs teacher in covid land I’d be available for teaching remotely via zoom... I wouldn’t be entertaining the idea of working in person with children...if your CF is clinically unstable or severe you are VERY high risk, and should be cocooning, that’s the HSE advice...

If stable..you still need to be according to the HSE...

-staying at home as much as possible
    -social distancing
    -limiting your social interactions to a very small network for short periods of time
    -washing your hands regularly and properly..

That’s not conducive to working in a school, not close..

School/department or any employer had any problem with that, I’d be seeing my solicitor with my GP... with the intention of instilling a public butt fücking of biblical proportions on my employer...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Its like someone with prosthetic legs insisting they want to work on a high rise crane in high winds and then sueing the company because its too ricky for them to be told to do.

It just makes it harder for people with workplace compatible disabilities to get employed. Totallt taking the piss.

Its like someone with prosthetic legs insisting they want to work on a high rise crane in high winds and then sueing the company because its too ricky for them to be told to do.

It just makes it harder for people with workplace compatible disabilities to get employed. Totallt taking the piss.

I'm not going to waste time discussing an important topic like this with someone with such antiquated and negative views on disability. It's 2021 not 1980.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

BurntAsh wrote: »
    I'm not going to waste time discussing an important topic like this with someone with such antiquated and negative views on disability. It's 2021 not 1980.

I’m not asking you to - Im stating the bleeding obvious. This is exactly why employers won’t bother giving the next disabled person a chance - one should pick a field that is compatible with ones disability and not one that actively aggravates it & then expect to sue the company and leave 30 kids with a substandard education and service as well. Not exactly fair on anyone.

• Advertisement
Advertisement