Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hand Blender

• 01-03-2021 10:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭

Hi
    bought a v cheap hand blender in currys. Is it normal that the blade is shorter than the rim? cant get near a small amount of food in a pot
    thankyou

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I've had a look at my Kenwood one and yes, the blade is a bit shorter than the rim.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭cmred

thanks a mill. doesnt seem to make any sense but ill try it with humous tomorrow and see if it works

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭mick087

My hand blender is the same its a kenwood one, i have had it a few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

On any hand blender I've ever seen this is the case. The blades are usually angled a little so that they act a bit like a propeller, sucking the food up towards the blades, so that's not a problem at all.

thanks all. should be able to get through some chickpeas! shall update if theres any probs as v good value at €12

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

cmred wrote: »
    thanks a mill. doesnt seem to make any sense
    It allows you go right up to the side of a plastic container or metal saucepan without worrying about damaging the container or the blades.

If stuff is stuck on the sides I would scrape it off with a spoon and put it in the middle of your pot/container.

hi, well it blended into a humus eventually. daft question - all handblenders - you have hold the on switch down yourself? not allergic to a bit of effort - but 10mins holding a switch takes the goodness out of it!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Yes, you do. I've never had one with an on/off switch :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Yes, you do. I've never had one with an on/off switch :)
    Yeah too dangerous , they are always designed these days with the button needing to be held down.

On another note, nothing should take 10 mins to blend , you either dont have enough liquid in the mix or you would be far better off with a mini food processor type attachement available for alot of brands which are better for making certain foods.

The blade is inset from the bottom because otherwise you would be eating chips of plastic, glass and metal from the blade hitting the bottom of the container being used.

thanks a mill, great advise. yes, thought 10mins to mix up a few chick peas was slightly excessive! shall get looking

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,170 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

cmred wrote: »
    thanks a mill, great advise. yes, thought 10mins to mix up a few chick peas was slightly excessive! shall get looking

I know our hand blender wouldn't make hummus. It works with more liquid things. I'd say I only use it for soup.
    Food processor for hummus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭phormium

I only use hand blender for soup too, it's not the most efficient way to make something like hummous, a small processor would do it better, I got a great processor years ago in HS&M, it had one motor top but two containers one big and one small. Both have a double set of blades, great yoke altogether but haven't seen one since, I use it regularly for things like pate of various types which would be firm enough consistency too.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭topdecko

need a food processor for hummus. Best piece of kitchen equipment i have ever bought was a 25e philips food processor. Still going strong a decade later. Essential piece of kit - hand blender has limited use IMHO - blending soups , whipping cream - but not as good as whisk in that regard.

make hummus weekly probably - much better than store bought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

I got a cheap hand blender in Aldi a few years back and it works perfectly it came with a mini chopper attachment and whisk.
    Clip off hand blender head and stick on the mini food processor. It was about 20 quid. The mini food processor
    Attachment is so handy for Hummus

I know our hand blender wouldn't make hummus. It works with more liquid things. I'd say I only use it for soup.
    Food processor for hummus.
    Yes, I'd also use the hand blender almost exclusively for soups. If I make hummus, I use a mini blender/food processor.

Having said that, I can't really see the difference, so maybe it's just down to using too little oil/lemon juice/tahini? I usually pay little heed to the amounts in recipes, so just add the liquids until I get the consistency I like. If you don't add enough, it stays very grainy and rough.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Food processor for pastes, stick blender for soups and sauces here too. I traded up from a mini chopper to a heavy duty magimix recently, it does make smoother hummus but the mini chopper was decent for it too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Apologies for bumping old thread, just looking for recommendations on a hand blender.

Primary use will be home made soup

Thanks

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

They're mostly much of a muchness. I got a fancy Braun one a few years back and it's smashing, varialble spin rate and comes with a whisk attachment, and the stick goes in the dishwasher (I don't use any other attachments). Had a Kenwood for 15 years before that that probably cost me £25 in Roches Stores and it was great, all in one yoke, good long wire on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

One thing I'd suggest is to get one with a stainless steel "stick" rather than a plastic one, much sturdier. I have a Bosch CleverMixx 600 which is great, a good bit more powerful than some of the cheaper plastic footed ones which are usually 300-350W. Power City have it now for €34.95.

https://powercity.ie/product/MSM26

• Advertisement

The high wattage is definitely a good move. Make absolute mincemeat of what you're blending, makes for even smoother soups (blend all soups for thirty seconds longer than you think, it ends up really creamy)

Advertisement