Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lambing

Options
  • 01-03-2021 10:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭

Thought a dedicated lambing thread might be useful to share knowledge...

I've a couple of pet lambs and will have more no doubt. I'm going to try and get them onto a cold ab-lib system and was wondering if there is a specific technique to get them from warm milk out of a bottle to cold milk from a teated bucket? I've used a teated bucket before so its more advice on getting them to drink cold milk. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

clonagh wrote: »
    Thought a dedicated lambing thread might be useful to share knowledge...

I've a couple of pet lambs and will have more no doubt. I'm going to try and get them onto a cold ab-lib system and was wondering if there is a specific technique to get them from warm milk out of a bottle to cold milk from a teated bucket? I've used a teated bucket before so its more advice on getting them to drink cold milk. Thanks.

Start them on the bucket on warm milk then once they are sucking well switch to cold

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Treble hogget lambed down with no milk, gave her oxytocin, what else can j give

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Mad about baa baas

Someone with more expertise than I might confirm that this works on sheep but.. we give mares struggling with milk motillium..50 tablets twice daily.. mares be roughly 5-600 kg

Someone with more expertise than I might confirm that this works on sheep but.. we give mares struggling with milk motillium..50 tablets twice daily.. mares be roughly 5-600 kg
    Just did a quick google and motillium. Is recommended for women to increase breast milk so I'd imagine would help sheep too

Grass and meal....cut and bring it in,or let her out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭clonagh

Have a couple of lambs with joint ill, giving them Betamox and a shot of loxicom, is there anything better?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,165 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Have a couple of lambs with joint ill, giving them Betamox and a shot of loxicom, is there anything better?

Joint ill needs to be injected daily for ten days with the betamox,

wrangler wrote: »
    Joint ill needs to be injected daily for ten days with the betamox,

Ok, thanks. I've been treating one of them for 4 days and I see him racing around the field at the moment, should I keep injecting him for the full 10 days, if I can catch him...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,165 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Ok, thanks. I've been treating one of them for 4 days and I see him racing around the field at the moment, should I keep injecting him for the full 10 days, if I can catch him...

It's a very difficult infection to kill properly and if it comes back you won't cure him. Any time it has been discussed on here the advice is to give for ten days.
    We always do them for ten days here but we'd bring them back into the shed for the ten days. They're not fools, they won't allow you to catch them out in the field after the first few days

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

Used noraclav for joint ill and find it pretty good. Not sure if it’s much different than betamox

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭razor8

Used noraclav for joint ill and find it pretty good. Not sure if it’s much different than betamox

In my experience there seems to be different strains of it that appear from year to year. One year betamox can kill it next year useless. Last year I had 2 very bad and linspec got them 100%

razor8 wrote: »
    In my experience there seems to be different strains of it that appear from year to year. One year betamox can kill it next year useless. Last year I had 2 very bad and linspec got them 100%

Interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

Both contain the same antibiotic amoxicillin but noroclav also has clavulanic acid which can make the amoxicillin work even where there's penicillin resistance.

Noroclav is similar to what the doctor might prescribe yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭390kid

Hogget lambed here Saturday night all well and good but the lamb seems croaky when breathing? Should I give him a jag of penicillin or leave him be? He’s fit and healthy otherwise

• Registered Users Posts: 2,258 ✭✭✭Sami23

390kid wrote: »
    Hogget lambed here Saturday night all well and good

Totally different topic but when you say a Hoggot do you mean a Hoggot you might have bought last September that is now around 2 years old or is it a Ewe Lamb from last year you now refer to as a Hoggot.
    Sorry for going off topic

• Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Sami23 wrote: »
    Totally different topic but when you say a Hoggot do you mean a Hoggot you might have bought last September that is now around 2 years old or is it a Ewe Lamb from last year you now refer to as a Hoggot.
    Sorry for going off topic

id call a ewe lamb from last year a hogget.

Kevhog1988 wrote: »
    id call a ewe lamb from last year a hogget.

Interesting as I would always have referred to Hoggots bought in September for the Ram still as Hoggots when they lamb down the following spring

Interesting as I would always have referred to Hoggots bought in September for the Ram still as Hoggots when they lamb down the following spring

I find it’s hard to nail down exactly what different expressions mean as different people use terms differently, rightly or wrongly.
    For me, from spring on, then a lamb born in 2020 would become a hogget, as lambs would be the ones born now

I find it’s hard to nail down exactly what different expressions mean as different people use terms differently, rightly or wrongly.
    For me, from spring on, then a lamb born in 2020 would become a hogget, as lambs would be the ones born now

To follow on that trend could you call a 1st Crop to any age be they Hoggot, 2 tear old or 3 year old once it's their first lamb/s ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭White Clover

To follow on that trend could you call a 1st Crop to any age be they Hoggot, 2 tear old or 3 year old once it's their first lamb/s ?

That's my understanding. A yearling lambing down is a hoggett, A 2 year old lambing for the first time is a 1st crop.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Oldira

I presume that it’s no harm to dose ewes after lambing? Handy while in the lambing pens

Have a ewe here that is showing all signs of lambing for 24 hours now.. clear discharge..getting up and down ..licking lips.. ad far as I know hasn't put out the water bag yet.. am I just impatient and checking her too much or should she have progressed by now.. is up to her time on days. 4th crop lamber never any issues before

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭FarmerDougal

Have a ewe here that is showing all signs of lambing for 24 hours now.. clear discharge..getting up and down ..licking lips.. ad far as I know hasn't put out the water bag yet.. am I just impatient and checking her too much or should she have progressed by now.. is up to her time on days. 4th crop lamber never any issues before

Did you handle her?

Did you handle her?

Feels very tight.. peeing a lot too very tight as in I really only got a couple of fingers in.. not open at all yet. Do I ignore fora while and try patience

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭FarmerDougal

Feels very tight.. peeing a lot too very tight as in I really only got a couple of fingers in.. not open at all yet. Do I ignore fora while and try patience

Was she pressing and forcing at any stage

Sounds like shes aborting lambs......you can get an injection to put her forcing/bring her along.....takes 12 hours or so to work

Probably be a fair ould smell off her soon......you could try calcium for energy,but if shes made no effort,hardly be tired?

Was she pressing and forcing at any stage

Maybe 2 times I caught her with head up and slightly straining but overall not really. Just as I say uneasy and licking her lips and also the ground where discharge drops. I keep saying next time she gets down the blister will appear

Maybe 2 times I caught her with head up and slightly straining but overall not really. Just as I say uneasy and licking her lips and also the ground where discharge drops. I keep saying next time she gets down the blister will appear

Crisis over... I manipulated her open and waters broke.. had 3 live triplets. First one was coming backwards..

• Advertisement

Crisis over... I manipulated her open and waters broke.. had 3 live triplets. First one was coming backwards..

No so bad - have you anything to foster 1 onto now is the next question

Advertisement