Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lambing

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Mad about baa baas

Sami23 wrote: »
    No so bad - have you anything to foster 1 onto now is the next question

No.. she is first one to lamb...last 3 years she has done a great job with 2 and stayed fat herself.. I might give her extra feed and chance her for a while..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

A hogget put out her lamb bed immediately after lambing this morning, we're three quarters way through now and that's the first hassle we've had. The lleyn breeding is really maternal,
    Despite the upset she licked the lamb as soon as we put her back in the pen after her ordeal

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭clonagh

How long should you wait before assisitng a ewe lamb that's lambing?

clonagh wrote: »
    How long should you wait before assisitng a ewe lamb that's lambing?

I usually wait about half an hour after the water bag. ewe lambs are prone to a lamb coming head first so I'd check that first, if she gets the head out it can be a bit of a job to lamb her.
    if everything is coming right and she's making progress, leave her alone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭arctictree

wrangler wrote: »
    I usually wait about half an hour after the water bag. ewe lambs are prone to a lamb coming head first so I'd check that first, if she gets the head out it can be a bit of a job to lamb her.

Getting an awful lot of that with a group of ewe lambs I am lambing. Maybe every 3rd or 4th one. Can be a bit of a job pushing it back in. I'm probably feeding then too much but they were lambing without milk a while ago so had to up the ration...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭clonagh

wrangler wrote: »

Thanks Wrangler

arctictree wrote: »
    Getting an awful lot of that with a group of ewe lambs I am lambing. Maybe every 3rd or 4th one. Can be a bit of a job pushing it back in. I'm probably feeding then too much but they were lambing without milk a while ago so had to up the ration...

Grass grew earlier this year and has increased the size of lambs, are yours out on grass.
    OHs arms are so thin that she can get her hand down along beside the lamb and pull up the leg, so easy when you can do that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,734 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Lambing out here....down to last few....had a nice Cheviot ewe pricking about all day,over and back the field but wouldn't settle down to lamb so brought her in before dark and was as well I did....knew she was carrying a single and had reduced nuts to them but she had a giant of a Suffolk x ewe lamb alive thankfully...….Put hand in and waterbag was there but lamb was upside down in her and head was away down...took nice while working at her but got lambed turned around and head up but had serious pull on lamb...ewe bled a bit after but settled it down then...great hardy lamb....up and sucking in 15 mins after a traumatic birth.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭OneMan37

arctictree wrote: »

It’s hard to get it right, I’d rather a smaller lamb, and feed the lamb artificial milk alongside the ewes milk for a few days while feeding her mother as lib in order to come on milk post lambing.

Advertisement