Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to burn belly fat

Comments

markmoto wrote: »
    Surely enough if you keep at 1500 calories eating small portions you would lose weight. Would you be able to maintain that lifestyle for years?

Will it take me years to lose about 10-15kg? No.

Even I had to, I already said in my post it takes a few days to get used to it. It doesn't bother me at all. I could keep it going if I wanted to. Read my post.

It's actually opened my eyes to the fact that you don't really need three substantial meals a day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 788 ✭✭✭markmoto

Will it take me years to lose about 10-15kg? No.

Once you lose weight would you go back to square one or try to maintain that weight target? And what makes you gain weight in the first place?
    How many cycles have you done so far?

I am not against that approach just out of curiosity seems not for everyone, involves lots of willpower.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,360 ✭✭✭bladespin

Once you lose weight would you go back to square one or try to maintain that weight target? And what makes you gain weight in the first place?

I am not against that approach just out of curiosity seems not for everyone, involves lots of willpower.

Very simple really, you just reverse diet - going up in steps to find the equilibrium point, it's very enjoyable after a long cut.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

turbot wrote: »
    Functional Full Body HIIT
    Nutritional Keto (virtually no carbs is easier than low carbs)
    Prepare meals in advance
    Detox more
    Sleep more

Consider a PT, using a Quest 2 (Supernatural) or BionicGym

Excellent plan. I notice far better performance feels more power lifting weight while taking carbs off the diet. Never tried VR yet sounds like good fun.
    How long would you run between meals?

I think I'd go back to the Guinness and Pringles diet, because I'm so obviously clueless.

• Advertisement

OmegaGene wrote: »
    even a guard wouldnt ask those kinds of questions lol

Unreal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Surely enough if you keep at 1500 calories eating small portions you would lose weight. Would you be able to maintain that lifestyle for years?

If I was sedentary I’d gain weight eating that much.

iguana wrote: »

Are you a woman... or a hummingbird? :D

Are you a woman... or a hummingbird? :D

I unfortunately can’t fly so not a hummingbird.

I’m a 50kg-155cm woman. Thankfully I’m normally very, very active so can eat more than that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,946 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Ditto

45kg 147cm female

I'd have to be buzzing round like the aforementioned hummingbird to lose weight on 1500 cals

*small violin plays*

• Advertisement

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Ditto

45kg 147cm female

I'd have to be buzzing round like the aforementioned hummingbird to lose weight on 1500 cals

*small violin plays*

I like to think that we're just more economical!

I like to think that we're just more economical!

It's the reason why an all female mission to Mars makes sense!

It's the reason why an all female mission to Mars makes sense!

Great point! Someone needs to tell Elon to start recruiting tiny women!:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Session2019!

Lost 37kg in about 6-7 month period, was as simple as calories in vs calories out for me diet wise along with my exercise routine. Did not over complacate things with intermittent fasting, keto or any other of those what I think are fad diets(my opinion only, not wanting an argument here). Made sure I was in a calorie deficit, now maintaining at 75kgs since the gyms closed last year.

Lost 37kg in about 6-7 month period, was as simple as calories in vs calories out for me diet wise along with my exercise routine. Did not over complacate things with intermittent fasting, keto or any other of those what I think are fad diets(my opinion only, not wanting an argument here). Made sure I was in a calorie deficit, now maintaining at 75kgs since the gyms closed last year.

The human body evolves for a period of million years with intermittent fasting as a daily routine.
    And if we roll back 150 years no one heard of fad illnesses such as diabetes or angina. That was the privilege of rich people.

Sure if you are on a healthy diet and counting calories in and out you will lose weight.

But the question rather can you transform that into a permanent lifestyle or why someone becomes overweight in the first place?

The human body evolves for a period of million years with intermittent fasting as a daily routine.
    And if we roll back 150 years no one heard of fad illnesses such as diabetes or angina. That was the privilege of rich people.

Sure if you are on a healthy diet and counting calories in and out you will lose weight.

But the question rather can you transform that into a permanent lifestyle or why someone becomes overweight in the first place?

Well, tracking a healthy diet is certainly more sustainable than IF, at least as it’s packaged these days (quite different to how things were millions of years ago), it works fine but it’s no better than any other form of calorie reduction, still faddy but mainly down to its followers (like Keto etc).

Btw, 150 years ago no one heard of angina or diabetes because you probably died from them, not because they didn’t exist lol.

bladespin wrote: »
    Well, tracking a healthy diet is certainly more sustainable than IF, at least as it’s packaged these days (quite different to how things were millions of years ago), it works fine but it’s no better than any other form of calorie reduction, still faddy but mainly down to its followers (like Keto etc).

I like a healthy diet myself.
    But a couple of points to mention; The human body evolved on intermittent fasting and encodes into a survival mechanism, what now called autophagy nothing new about "IF" was a normal part of the lifestyle.
    And if you look at the religious books, one way or another encourage humans to fast for a prolonged period.

Coincident or I just made this up?

bladespin wrote: »
    Btw, 150 years ago no one heard of angina or diabetes because you probably died from them, not because they didn’t exist lol.

Actually, we have a very well-documented history and analysis of what people died from all in the public domain googled.

Both diabetes and heart disease can be genetic. So no, it wasn't just a privilege of rich people.

I like a healthy diet myself.
    But a couple of points to mention; The human body evolved on intermittent fasting and encodes into a survival mechanism, what now called autophagy nothing new about "IF" was a normal part of the lifestyle.
    And if you look at the religious books, one way or another encourage humans to fast for a prolonged period.

Coincident or I just made this up?
    Fasting was a very normal part of life, still is really, going for reasonable periods without eating, part of the obesity issue now is grazing anytime the notion takes us.
    That said, there is definitely a faddish thing about the IF movement now, prolonging the time between meals is fine but there's no great benefit over a 'regular' healthy diet, the illnesses you avoid would be avoided through a good diet anyway.
    Now, for calorie control it's great, I use it regularly but it's just one tool, that may or may not suit, the real trick is to understand your food and control it whatever way suits best.
    Actually, we have a very well-documented history and analysis of what people died from all in the public domain googled.

Yes we do, it shows that heart disease is now the major killer, it always was pretty lethal though but was dwarfed by other illnesses we've managed to tackle and diminish, angina and diabetes haven't suddenly appeared, documented angina symptoms for example date back to ancient Rome, possibly further.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,646 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Yes, you can make it a permanent lifestyle change. Several people in this forum have done just that because its sustainable for them.

Some people find Intermittent Fasting/Time Restricted eating another way they can lose weight and maintain their new weight.

Both amount to the same thing when it comes to weight loss: controlling caloric intake.

• Advertisement

I was skipping breakfast for years before finding out it was now called intermittent fasting.

It's definitely sustainable. I just don't understand why some people get really into it. A black coffee instead of Muesli is just calorie control through the most basic level of omission.

I came across this article and it made me think of this thread. It turns out Otzi the Iceman, a man who died over 5000 years ago and who was a hunter/gatherer in the late Neolithic had heart disease.

https://www.livescience.com/47114-otzi-had-heart-disease-genes.html

I guess heart disease has always been with us.

I came across this article and it made me think of this thread. It turns out Otzi the Iceman, a man who died over 5000 years ago and who was a hunter/gatherer in the late Neolithic had heart disease.

https://www.livescience.com/47114-otzi-had-heart-disease-genes.html

I guess heart disease has always been with us.

Thanks for that article.

Interesting story, it says along with calcium buildup in arteries Ötzi also had Lyme disease and tooth decay.

I assume Ötzi had Chronic Lyme at that stage.
    "Chronic Lyme is a disease of inflammation. Although the primary cause of the disorder is an infection, transmitted by ticks, as the disease matures, the symptoms change drastically. Antibiotics, which have been proven to be very effective in the initial acute stages of Lyme disease, are not enough to treat the condition once it reaches its chronic stages. This is because very little of the initial bacteria, Borrelia burgdorferi, remains in a patient’s system over time. Instead, the majority of symptoms are caused by an inflammation response, which becomes constant and overreactive when it can’t eradicate its target."

If someone is diagnosed with Lyme disease first thing the Doctor will tell to take Sugar & Dairy out of the diet.
    And since he had tooth decay most likely Ötzi was on a high carb diet.

Inflammation major cause of cardiovascular disease which triggers cholesterol and calcium to patch & cement the area of inflammation. (plaque builds up)

Genes play an important role too but without environmental triggers, illness might never happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Superrr

I find my belly fat has closely connected with my diet. When I eat healthy and clean, my belly and waist look smaller. And when I eat heavy or sit too much, my belly can be a disaster. Besides, cardio and exercises targeted abs help. But to be frank, a healthy and balanced diet is more important for me to keep the shape.

Surely ab work if you have the same amount of fat covering them just makes your belly bigger. It's like doing bicep curls because your arms are too big for your shirt.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭Ramasun

Surely ab work if you have the same amount of fat covering them just makes your belly bigger. It's like doing bicep curls because your arms are too big for your shirt.

That must be what's happened to me then. :D

Unless you’re pulling very serious weight (or ‘enhancing’) while doing an work it won’t, normal and work (pretty much every one) just refines the abs, under the fat layer that is.

Edit, just to add that unless your bf is low there are far better exercises than an work for getting in shape, though any core work is good.

Yes and no. Simplistically adding muscle bulk to your body will obviously add rather than reduce inches. However when you are talking about your core there are other factors to take into account. The main factor is posture. Having bigger biceps doesn't make a huge difference to your posture but having a stronger core can. You take pressure off overworked back muscles, reduce back tension and pain, make it easier to stand taller, pull up the belly area, etc.

If built correctly with a well engaged core, you can pull once slack muscles up and back. Then with a stronger core you are better placed to build your other muscles, correct an incorrect pelvic tilt, build a stronger, more flexible back, etc. A strong core will help you stand taller, help reduce how much height you lose as you age, allow you to exercise better, play a part in improving your endurance, allow you to do more push-ups, pull-ups, help you build everywhere.

Good posture will definitely improve the appearance of excess belly fat. Or even just belly fat which isn't necessarily excess. Many women's initial fat stores will be on the lower belly and they would have to get to a potentially unhealthily low level of body fat in order to get rid of it. Women are classed as 'underfat' below 21% when they are young, 23% past 40. As a 42 year old woman there is some fat on my lower belly that I probably can't lose while maintaining a healthy level of body fat. The appearance of which is worsened by pregnancy and c-section damage. But keeping my core strong helps with keeping my lower waist appear smaller as my lower abs naturally engage up and back and help me correct the anterior pelvic tilt that I (like most people) am inclined to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 466 ✭✭Probes

I’ve been doing intermittent fasting, I don’t eat before 12:00 and don’t eat after 20:00, and I eat whatever in between. It’s very easy, I never really feel hungry and I’ve lost 5-6kg over the last couple of months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭Cill94

Yes and no. Simplistically adding muscle bulk to your body will obviously add rather than reduce inches. However when you are talking about your core there are other factors to take into account. The main factor is posture. Having bigger biceps doesn't make a huge difference to your posture but having a stronger core can. You take pressure off overworked back muscles, reduce back tension and pain, make it easier to stand taller, pull up the belly area, etc.

If built correctly with a well engaged core, you can pull once slack muscles up and back. Then with a stronger core you are better placed to build your other muscles, correct an incorrect pelvic tilt, build a stronger, more flexible back, etc. A strong core will help you stand taller, help reduce how much height you lose as you age, allow you to exercise better, play a part in improving your endurance, allow you to do more push-ups, pull-ups, help you build everywhere.

Good posture will definitely improve the appearance of excess belly fat. Or even just belly fat which isn't necessarily excess. Many women's initial fat stores will be on the lower belly and they would have to get to a potentially unhealthily low level of body fat in order to get rid of it. Women are classed as 'underfat' below 21% when they are young, 23% past 40. As a 42 year old woman there is some fat on my lower belly that I probably can't lose while maintaining a healthy level of body fat. The appearance of which is worsened by pregnancy and c-section damage. But keeping my core strong helps with keeping my lower waist appear smaller as my lower abs naturally engage up and back and help me correct the anterior pelvic tilt that I (like most people) am inclined to.

There’s actually not much support for the idea that you can meaningfully change posture with exercise, or that there is ‘good’ or ‘bad’ posture to begin with. Exception being if one specific posture is more efficient for completing a given task.

Also correlation between ‘core strength’ and mitigating back pain is weak as well.

Advertisement