Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Standing Order - Mortgage Overpayment

Options
  • 01-03-2021 11:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭

I have 2 x mortgages against the one property with Bank of Ireland (originally a portion was on a fixed rate, and a portion was on a variable rate - it's been a few years and both are now on fixed rates, at different rates).

The mortgage overpayment rules state I can pay the greater of 10% or 65eur an overpayment without penalty.
    In my case, 65eur would be the greater on both of them.

Can I set up a standing order to pay 65 per month to each of these without penalty? 
    The website says to request a callback... but I don't really need to formally set up something do I? I can just set up a standing order my end and cancel it at any time I choose?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Eve

Hi there, thanks for getting in touch with us here on Boards.ie. 

In this case we'd advise contacting our Mortgage Team directly on 016113333 and a Mortgage Advisor would be able to discuss this with you further and offer further guidance. 

I hope this helps. If you've any further queries please don't hesitate to get back in touch with us here, we'll certainly do our best to help. 

Thanks, Eve 

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭The Mighty Quinn

Called that number, got sorted thank you.

For the interest of anybody in a similar situation;

Even though it was one mortgage taken out on a single property, split into 2 portions (initially a variable and fixed portion, now both are fixed) it is considered by the bank as 2 separate mortgages.

This is beneficial to me from the point of view that I can overpay on both of them, the combined penalty free overpayment limit is almost twice what it would have been otherwise. 

Advertisement