Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EU Digital/paper! Certs, the Megathread - threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

I might be slightly behind here. But is the suggestion that people will need a vaccine passport to go into a clothes shop or restaurant or Bar for example.

I understand that it will be needed to travel abroad but I've seen nothing from the Government to suggest one will be needed domestically

ShyMets wrote: »
    I might be slightly behind here. But is the suggestion that people will need a vaccine passport to go into a clothes shop or restaurant or Bar for example.

I understand that it will be needed to travel abroad but I've seen nothing from the Government to suggest one will be needed domestically

There’s no guarantee at all that any of this comes in. It was hmm who suggested that businesses open up with vaccinated workers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 26 Thornysheep

hmmm wrote: »
    They are discriminatory but that doesn't bother me one bit.

I'm well down the list for getting a vaccination, but I'm not going to ask vaccinated people to remain locked up for a minute longer than necessary.

Neither am I going to ask businesses to remain closed who could open earlier. Let them open for vaccinated people.

Get on with it Minister & start re-opening the country if the opportunity presents.

It's very obvious that you are not bothered by discrimination.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

ShyMets wrote: »

For now it's an EU proposal for travel this summer. People are extrapolating based on what they are doing in Israel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

There’s no guarantee at all that any of this comes in. It was hmm who suggested that businesses open up with vaccinated workers.

Thanks. I agree with some of the above posts. Bringing one in domestically would be largely unworkable

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Sensimellia

It looks very much to be the majority of people who are opposed to it are anti vax, anti restrictions, anti mask etc, as well as the other usual contrarians.

Vaccine passports are a positive step in paving the way towards a return to normality in travel and toursim.
    Why is there no unthank option

• Registered Users Posts: 13,911 ✭✭✭✭josip

Vaccine passports are hugely discriminatory. Positively dystopian. Some people won’t be vaccinated until September, or later.

I don't see them they are discriminatory.
    Without them, everyone will be contributing to the profits of the Tory-backed PCR companies.
    In case anyone wants to know the secret of getting a government awarded contract, then consider giving an MP £100,000 per year for 4 hours work a week.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/nov/04/tory-linked-firm-involved-in-testing-failure-awarded-new-347m-covid-contract

At least with the vaccine passports, some people will avoid being shaken down when they travel.
    I don't mind whether it's me or someone else that can avail of the passport, just as long as we're not lining the Tory coffers.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,225 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Vaccine passports are hugely discriminatory. Positively dystopian. Some people won’t be vaccinated until September, or later.

Don't be ridiculous, it's a global pandemic and it's nonsense to suggest discrimination for the sake of discrimination.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

FT on the latest on EU digital vaccine passports here (paywall).

- Ursula von der Leyen, European Commission president, said on Monday the planned “Digital Green Pass” would provide proof of inoculation, test results of those not yet jabbed. "The Digital Green Pass should facilitate Europeans‘ lives." "Enable them to move safely in the European Union or abroad — for work or tourism".
    - Greece strongly in favour to help revive the region’s devastated travel industry.
    - Tui, Europe's largest tour operator, said “with a uniform EU certificate, politicians can now create an important basis for summer travel”.
    - Plan to be unveiled later this month.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭seansouth36

Only if they are free I would imagine.

Luckily for them, no passport is needed to go to Courtown.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,261 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

is_that_so wrote: »
    That discriminatory element screams court cases and if the kids need to get a PCR test every time they want to go to McDonalds...

Yep, about as discriminatory as say requiring people to have a driving license, care insurance etc. you know the kind of stuff that constitution and the EU treaties enable parliaments to legislate for...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭bloopy

And children?

And those waiting for a vaccine?

And those waiting for a booster?

I have a feeling that much of the support for a vaccine passport is based purely on animosity.

Certainly looking that way.
    Usually promoted by people who have quixotic ideas of how everyone but themselves are behaving badly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

And what about your wives, partners,sisters and daughters who are trying to get pregnant or are pregnant? They are advised to not take it.... has male dominated or auld wan politics forgotten them ...why should they be finicialy burdened more when travelling or have to endure quaranteening?

josip wrote: »
    I don't see them they are discriminatory.
    Without them, everyone will be contributing to the profits of the Tory-backed PCR companies.
    In case anyone wants to know the secret of getting a government awarded contract, then consider giving an MP £100,000 per year for 4 hours work a week.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/nov/04/tory-linked-firm-involved-in-testing-failure-awarded-new-347m-covid-contract

At least with the vaccine passports, some people will avoid being shaken down when they travel.
    I don't mind whether it's me or someone else that can avail of the passport, just as long as we're not lining the Tory coffers.

That’s makes no sense. People will have to get vaccinated, sometimes with Tory backed vaccinations.

And this is Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭tommybrees

A vaccine passport AKA a Herd number, because we're being treated like cattle not human being's.

Hurrache wrote: »
    Don't be ridiculous, it's a global pandemic and it's nonsense to suggest discrimination for the sake of discrimination.

That also makes no sense. The fact that it’s global means nothing to the argument. And I didn’t say it was “ discrimination for the sake of discrimination”. Whatever that is.

It does bring up a point though. Any such system where a passport is gained with a jab would have to be equitable - and this is one situation where I agree with equity of outcome - once the essential workers and old and vulnerable are vaccinated. Equal access for men and women, poor and rich, Dubliners and country folk, and across racial groups as well. Which is probably impossible.

There will be huge demand anyway, I bet systems will fall over and the faster internet connections will win out. There’s obviously going to be lots of queue jumping. The proposal is disastrous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Ray Donovan

That also makes no sense. The fact that it’s global means nothing to the argument. And I didn’t say it was “ discrimination for the sake of discrimination”. Whatever that is.

It does bring up a point though. Any such system where a passport is gained with a jab would have to be equitable - and this is one situation where I agree with equity of outcome - once the essential workers and old and vulnerable are vaccinated. Equal access for men and women, poor and rich, Dubliners and country folk, and across racial groups as well. Which is probably impossible.

There will be huge demand anyway, I bet systems will fall over and the faster internet connections will win out. There’s obviously going to be lots of queue jumping. The proposal is disastrous.

Did you read any news article??

UVL clearly states that if people haven’t beem vaccinated they can present a negative test to allow travel.

“The pass would allow a traveller to show either that they have been vaccinated, that they have tested negative for Covid-19 or that they have recovered from the disease.”

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/europe/eu-to-develop-covid-19-vaccine-pass-amid-divisions-over-issue-1.4498393

Jim2007 wrote: »
    Yep, about as discriminatory as say requiring people to have a driving license, care insurance etc. you know the kind of stuff that constitution and the EU treaties enable parliaments to legislate for...

It’s nothing like that. It’s a (at best) lottery or at worst totally corrupt or biased system that will privilege certain groups and de-privilege others. I mean children won’t be vaccinated this summer so all travel is out except for the childless. If we “are all in it together” then keep the airports closed or allow a PCR test to fly even the vaccine is available.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Not a chance the French will allow this. The Germans are especially precious when it comes to privacy. They don't even tolerate CCTV.

And that's before we get to the Eastern block nations :pac:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,422 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

tommybrees wrote: »
    A vaccine passport AKA a Herd number, because we're being treated like cattle not human being's.

Mod:

Off you go now to the Conspiracy Theory Forum - don't post in this thread again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,359 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Not a chance the French will allow this. The Germans are especially precious when it comes to privacy. They don't even tolerate CCTV.

And that's before we get to the Eastern block nations :pac:
    Well colour me shocked with surprise at the line you've taken on this...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭HansKroenke

Jim2007 wrote: »

Wow, the cognitive dissonance is strong in this one.

It is disturbing how extremist those views against doing completely normal activities without some sort of covid-specific (why just covid?) pass there are, really disturbing.

It’s nothing like that. It’s a (at best) lottery or at worst totally corrupt or biased system that will privilege certain groups and de-privilege others. I mean children won’t be vaccinated this summer so all travel is out except for the childless. If we “are all in it together” then keep the airports closed or allow a PCR test to fly even the vaccine is available.

That's a good point. Pregnant women / women who want to get pregnant won't be taking a vaccine anytime soon. Are they going to be told "tough luck"?

Economic and social restrictions disproportionately affect younger people, compared to the actual threat of covid to their health so it would be terribly unfair that those most affected by restrictions are farthest down the queue to receive a vaccine which is required in order to do the normal things like, for example, going abroad for a holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭tommybrees

Necro wrote: »
    Mod:

Off you go now to the Conspiracy Theory Forum - don't post in this thread again

Ya ya was told vaccine passports were conspiracy theory stuff last year and here we are now. When will ye learn

The antivaxers can get PCR tests for travel, etc and everyone is still happy.

Antigen testing is going to be crucial also. One form of excellent immunity is previous infection.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

is_that_so wrote: »
    For now it's an EU proposal for travel this summer. People are extrapolating based on what they are doing in Israel.
    Anyone in their right mind should completely and utterly condemn what they are proposing in Occupied Palestine.

And everyone in their right mind should completely and utterly condemn and oppose it here and in the so-called "EU".

So-called "vaccine passports" are yet more proof that we are in a totalitarian state.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,646 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

That's a good point. Pregnant women / women who want to get pregnant won't be taking a vaccine anytime soon. Are they going to be told "tough luck"?

Economic and social restrictions disproportionately affect younger people, compared to the actual threat of covid to their health so it would be terribly unfair that those most affected by restrictions are farthest down the queue to receive a vaccine which is required in order to do the normal things like, for example, going abroad for a holiday.

People should still be allowed take 2 Covid tests and isolate in between.

This is not going to start for a few months and by then everyone will be able to get vaccinated.

There is a great deal of bollix about this. Do people really prefer the way we are today?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭patnor1011

Hurrache wrote: »
    Can't be too poor if they plan on travelling abroad.

UK is "abroad". One does not need to be rich to go there.

People should still be allowed take 2 Covid tests and isolate in between.

This is not going to start for a few months and by then everyone will be able to get vaccinated.

There is a great deal of bollix about this. Do people really prefer the way we are today?

It shouldn't be a choice of "well, it's what we have today or this". With over 60s and u60s with chronic conditions vaccinated, deaths and hospitalisations are down 98%. U45s suicide rates are three times higher than deaths from covid.

Introducing a brand new measure to further restrict an important aspect of normal life at this stage is just utterly pointless but quite disturbing that people think it would be acceptable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭costacorta

Why should we subsidise antivaxers?

Sure the only place most of them travel is to local dole office or some anti government March . So they will stay at home anyway moaning about how the world is out to get you ...

Advertisement