Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do with house?

Options
  • 01-03-2021 2:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi all,

I’m moving to Dublin to live with my partner in the summer. It’s on a trial basis to see how I like it up there before I fully commit to moving. I have my own house in another county. I’ve a mortgage on this house and I’m unsure what to do with it for the six months I’ll be in Dublin. Should I rent it short term? Or rent out a room or two? Or leave it empty and I can come back at weekends to stay in it? Open to any suggestions, thanks for taking the time to read!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Noddy33

If only moving to Dublin on a 'Trial' period with the partner then I would most certainly not recommend renting out the house.......doesnt take much of a effort to find numerous threads on here that just give a slight glimpe of the hassle, hardhship and risk in being a landlord.

If it was me I would rent out the other rooms on an individual basis while keeping your own bedroom which allows to keep a permanent residence in the house for weekend visits etc. You would therefore have only have Licensee's living with you rather than 'tenants' and you have far more protection should your circumstances change and you need your house back fully to yourself.

Advertisement