Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Claiming injuries 7 months after accident.

Options
  • 01-03-2021 2:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Good afternoon,

Im looking for some advice. 7 months ago me and my finance where in a road traffic accident, nothing overly serious. An on coming van didn't stop while we were stationary, hit the car an absolute thud damaging large parts of the car before driving off. My partner was shaken for a few weeks with a headache, and neck pains and Id a sore back but nothing ibruofen didn't fix. We didn't contact a doctor, the company of the van who hit us paid the damages to the car after a passer by got their registration and I informed the cops. We've got paperwork this week saying we weren't liable for the accident and now had the insurers lawyers onto us asking for us to claim for neck and shoulder pain for 8+ weeks.

Has anyone any experience with the no win no fee guys, and would this involve a visit for a medical examiner's months after an accident. I naively should of contacted my GP, but I thought due to covid they'd more on their plate.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

Long story short, the statute of limitations is 2 years for an adult. In the case of a child up to 18 years old

• Registered Users Posts: 25,455 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

We've got paperwork this week saying we weren't liable for the accident and now had the insurers lawyers onto us asking for us to claim for neck and shoulder pain for 8+ weeks.

Can you clarify please exactly who is contacting you. I'm not asking you to name them but why would a firm of lawyers who act for the other driver's insurance company contact you and encourage you to claim against them?

You said that the company which owned the van paid for the damage. Which suggests that there was no insurance company involved.

What you're describing sounds like a practice that is endemic in the UK and which is called 'claims harvesting'. Its's where the cops or someone sells your info to a firm of ambulance chasers personal injury lawyers who then encourage you to lodge a 'no foal, no fee' claim and they 'assist' you by pointing you to medical people who know how to embellish and/or exaggerate soft tissue injuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,982 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

No way are solicitors for the insurers of the other driver asking you to claim for personal injuries

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

No way are solicitors for the insurers of the other driver asking you to claim for personal injuries

Yes way, but it's the solicitors for his own Insurance company

This is a classic situation.

The OP insurer has a deal done with some firm of lawyers to act for them. When a collision results in no blame on OP Insurer, their lawyers then act for people like OP as Plaintiffs.

The real beauty is his Insurance company gets a kick back.

I'm aware of this and have seen it quite a few times.

Of course nobody is writing about it.

The firm's involved tend to be big and not your better call Saul types.

It's a dangerous game as sometimes a case you assume to be an assessment comes back to bite you with your nose in two sides of the same trough.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,455 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Yes way, but it's the solicitors for his own Insurance company

This is a classic situation.

The OP insurer has a deal done with some firm of lawyers to act for them. When a collision results in no blame on OP Insurer, their lawyers then act for people like OP as Plaintiffs.

The real beauty is his Insurance company gets a kick back.

I'm aware of this and have seen it quite a few times.

Of course nobody is writing about it.

Why 'of course'?

Charlie Weston writes about consumer finance (banking and insurance) in the Indo and he certainly would write about this practice, if it's going on. If you're aware of the practice, I'd strongly encourage you to contact him.

cweston at independent.ie

• Advertisement
Advertisement