Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just where does this end?

Options
  • 01-03-2021 4:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭

We all know who Amanda Gorman is and of her wonderful poem at the Biden inauguration. So popular is she that publishers in various countries want to translate and publish her forthcoming work.

In the Netherlands a publisher approached Amanda with a recommendation. That author is Marieke Lucas Rijneveld, who is a Booker prize winner, so most probably a seriously good writer. Even Amanda approved of her, as a similar young writer, but it turns out that the internet thinks she is the wrong type of writer because she is not black. As a result of the furore she's decided the most sensible thing is just to quit and allow them to find a “better” author.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2021/mar/01/amanda-gorman-white-translator-quits-marieke-lucas-rijneveld

There are undoubtedly inequities and issues to address but somehow this seems to be giving the wrong message completely.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭CtevenSrowder

The intersectional left eating the intersectional left. You'd almost feel sorry for the Dutch one not having the bollox to stick up for herself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭Akesh

I find it odd that these activists types tend to be more racist and toxic than the people they are perpetually protesting against. They will do and say anything for a bit of attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Where does it end? In a very bad place tbh. Race relations are going backwards at a rate of knots. People are toying with ideas that will get out of hand quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Racists like Janice Deul will try to hold people like Marieke Lucas Rijneveld down.
    In a week's time it will probably be Janice Deul herself that gets the gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭randd1

Where does it end? In a very bad place tbh. Race relations are going backwards at a rate of knots. People are toying with ideas that will get out of hand quick.
    Social segregation, and racist policies, possibly a race war in the US.

I give it another two years before they have white, black, Asian and Hispanic seating areas on buses in the US. I give it three years until there's race specific bus routes. 10 years until there's race specific institutions such as hospitals/schools/universities.

And unfortunately us in Europe flowing suit, with Ireland and the UK leading the way.

• Advertisement

randd1 wrote: »
    Social segregation, and racist policies, possibly a race war in the US.
    US is miles ahead when it comes to this craziness.

Ireland doesn't have enough angry immigrants for it to become serious here for another 10/15 years.
    Even at the height of the BLM riots in US the protests in Ireland were fortunately pretty calm affairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Mike Murdock

Where does it end?

If not addressed by the silent majority, either segregation or a Khmer Rouge-esque Year Zero.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

Is that not racism ??? she's being discriminated because of her skin colour , that's racism in my book .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Imagine the mental illness of that dutch one that resigned, she probably genuinely feels guilt and shame over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

Imagine the mental illness of that dutch one that resigned, she probably genuinely feels guilt and shame over it.

Feel sorry for the girl . The left have no problem turning on itself

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

The intersectional left eating the intersectional left. You'd almost feel sorry for the Dutch one not having the bollox to stick up for herself.

Kinda like racists using race issues to criticise people who speak up for minorities.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Well she's white after all. All of her people are guilty, everyone of them, even the woke. Society can only be healed when whiteness is abolished; until then all whiteness must be rejected, resistance must be continued, and tolerance must be enforced with brutality.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

When intersectionality is so ridiculous it ends up as racist as the stuff it claims to be against.

Cultural exceptionalism is the definition of racism. If we take the “appropriation” stuff to its logical conclusion, you’re basically saying everyone has to conform to the norms of their own culture and any transgression of that is bad and negative - almost like apartheid via the back door.

Give it another few years and I wouldn’t be surprised if they’re shouting about the evils of race mixing.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,192 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Its no different to Traveller relations in Ireland. So-called positive discrimination creates an artificial and unsustainable reality and creates resentment and a reduction in actual diversity.

Not assessing people simply on the basis of their actual talent or actual behaviour, as the case may be, and simply treating them as people, is a road to ruin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Kinda like racists using race issues to criticise people who speak up for minorities.
    Well, that didn't take long.

When a translator must have the same skin colour as the original author I think we have reached about 89% wokeness.

One thing that annoys me about it is it's almost like an imposition of American politics into the Dutch arts and by an extension Dutch society. I wonder has there been any blow back?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,115 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I find it fascinating that the usual suspects on boards get so triggered by an incident involving a US author in Netherlands.

Do you think any of these lads would ever post about actual racist attacks happening in Netherlands?

https://nextshark.com/netherlands-korean-teen-attack-racism/

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I find it fascinating that the usual suspects on boards get so triggered by an incident involving a US author in Netherlands.

Do you think any of these lads would ever post about actual racist attacks happening in Netherlands?

Do you think it's appropriate for a white woman to translate the poetry of a black woman?

What's the problem Renko? Trying to derail another thread?
    How about you start a "Asian attacked in Netherlands" thread then?

• Advertisement

What's there to discuss exactly? The person who did that is a racist prick. Anything else to add to the discussion? I'm sure you can pigeonhole the far-right in somehow.

Interesting to see the very narrow focus on one particular niche issue in Netherlands - almost as if the lads are scraping the bottom of the barrel for things to get annoyed about.

Literal whataboutary.

When the Brazilian was attacked here the vast majority were on his side. But all unrelated to this thread topic.

On topic: It’s nonsense of course but the original writer should have been more forceful in supporting her pick.

Poetry translation of US poets in the Netherlands has never been a priority issue for me, or for any other posters here I suspect.

Poetry translation of US poets in the Netherlands has never been a priority issue for me, or for any other posters here I suspect.

No, me neither, but it shows the huge reach that ultra-progressive American politics can have. As someone whose fond of the arts and know people working in it, I'd like to think that such authoritarianism won't affect the arts in Ireland. I feel it will though, if it hasn't already.

This was just the next natural step after woke people forced voice actors to stay within their skin colour.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,760 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Larbre34 wrote: »

Not assessing people simply on the basis of their actual talent or actual behaviour, as the case may be, and simply treating them as people, is a road to ruin.

Agree because soon enough you end up with less capable, more incompetent people scattered through important positions in society in roles that maybe they shouldn't have based on raw ability.

It's not a bright way forward.

No, me neither, but it shows the huge reach that ultra-progressive American politics can have. As someone whose fond of the arts and know people working in it, I'd like to think that such authoritarianism won't affect the arts in Ireland. I feel it will though, if it hasn't already.

Though isn't it interesting how this is the ONLY aspect of arts development that you feel motivated enough to post about - no sign of any concern about levels of funding or quality of education or sustainability of a living wage? Nah, it's only the race issue that you get all excited about. A cynic could be forgiven for concluding that you really don't give a toss about arts at all, but you're quite happy to jump on this bandwagon.

Sorry I can't stay around for the full discussion. There's a theatre company in southern Albania getting funded for diversity initiatives that I need to get all riled up about today.

With every small incident like this, the elastic band gets stretched a tiny bit more. Either white people are going to have to eventually shout "STOP" to the constant demands, or else the white "allies" are going to be so alienated and persecuted that they will switch sides and join the "Far Right". Then there will be a completely racially divided America along racial and ideological lines. A scary prospect.

• Advertisement

With every small incident like this, the elastic band gets stretched a tiny bit more. Either white people are going to have to eventually shout "STOP" to the constant demands, or else the white "allies" are going to be so alienated and persecuted that they will switch sides and join the "Far Right". Then there will be a completely racially divided America along racial and ideological lines. A scary prospect.

Maybe if you had tried shouting STOP when black people were routinely being shot or choked by US police forces, perhaps you wouldn't need to be so concerned about racial division arising from poetry translation policies?

Advertisement