Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just where does this end?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Huh?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Ah come on. This story is rumbling in the media for last few days, maybe a week. Not because it's so important but because it's bonkers.

There is another story about Megan Three Stallion Harper Bazaar cover which was styled by black stylist.
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/music/2021/feb/22/harpers-bazaar-megan-thee-stallion-cover

This kind of stuff is a proof that Twitter makes people stupid. It's not about white vs black it's about morons getting disproportionate amount of attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Maybe if you had tried shouting STOP when black people were routinely being shot or choked by US police forces, perhaps you wouldn't need to be so concerned about racial division arising from poetry translation policies?
    How is it even possible to draw a line from police violence to forcing translators to have the same skin colour (only when black of course) as an author?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Invidious

Barack Obama's memoir A Promised Land was translated into Dutch by Rebekka W. R. Bremmer, Bep Fontijn, Frans Reusink and Edzard Krol. Surprise, surprise ... none of these translators is black, either. And I doubt that either President Obama or any readers of his book actually cared.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,115 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

biko wrote: »
    How is it even possible to draw a line from police violence to forcing translators to have the same skin colour (only when black of course) as an author?

You didn't feel the need to question how it was possible to draw a line from poetry translation in Netherlands to " the white "allies" are going to be so alienated and persecuted "?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭CtevenSrowder

Sorry I can't stay around for the full discussion. There's a theatre company in southern Albania getting funded for diversity initiatives that I need to get all riled up about today.

Ok have fun.

meeeeh wrote: »
    Ah come on. This story is rumbling in the media for last few days, maybe a week. Not because it's so important but because it's bonkers.

The only place I come across these issues is from the usual triggered suspects on Boards getting all riled up about topics they never had any interest in before.

The only place I come across these issues is from the usual triggered suspects on Boards getting all riled up about topics they never had any interest in before.

Whose 'riled up'? It's more of a rolling of the eyes. Do you think it's OK for someone to be pressured into standing down for a particular role based solely on their skin colour?

The people doing the pressuring are racists, and as it's not the violent type of racism such as you posted earlier, and because it's direcylted at a certain skin colour, it largely gets a free pass. Racism is racism and in my opinion should always be challenged, regardless of what form it comes in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

Im not making an argument or anything here, I genuinely don't fully get what your objection is. You feel its unfair for people to talk about an event or story if they haven't been talked about or has interaction with the subjects involved, before the events took place ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Maybe stick to something else for your news but Boards or Twitter. Both The Times and Guardian covered it in UK media.
    https://www.theguardian.com/books/2021/mar/01/amanda-gorman-white-translator-quits-marieke-lucas-rijneveld

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/i-wont-translate-amanda-gormans-work-insists-white-author-0xzsdfmtn

• Advertisement

meeeeh wrote: »

Indeed, the Guardian is were I first came across it aswell.

Well, let's see -- the Guardian, the Independent, the Times, the Associated Press and multiple international newspapers have all covered the story.

Maybe you need to read more broadly?

WrenBoy wrote: »
    Im not making an argument or anything here, I genuinely don't fully get what your objection is. You feel its unfair for people to talk about an event or story if they haven't been talked about or has interaction with the subjects involved, before the events took place ?

I didn't say that it is unfair.

I did say that it is a good indication that the people really aren't that bothered about poetry translation protocols in the Netherlands.

Whose 'riled up'?

Most of the posters on this thread.

I did say that it is a good indication that the people really aren't that bothered about poetry translation protocols in the Netherlands.

People are bothered that an International Booker Prize–winning author was pressured to step down from a high-profile translation assignment because their skin was the wrong colour.

You'd like to pretend that this is all about "poetry translation protocols" when it's really about racial discrimination.

Most of the posters on this thread.

Oh I didn't know you yourself were riled up. I'm perfectly calm. I simply think it's a bit ridiculous tis all.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Yeah it’s all well and good dismissing this as mindless twitter noise but it isn’t. That’s just a fact. A lot of this stuff is pumped out via prominent media sources. Even left wing academics are now pointing out a stifling of freedom of expression and hounding of staff on spurious grounds, many large corporations now push things like critical race theory and privilege theory in mandatory training sessions. Here in England we had a Labour shadow minister arguing for this stuff to be put on the curriculum thus making the party look like muppets when a black Tory minister rubbished the idea.

Your points about the horrible grinding racism in the USA and other places aren’t wrong, but acknowledging that doesn’t mean we have to embrace this other nonsense either. Pretending that swathes of the liberal left have hamstrung themselves with this crap helps nobody.

FTA69 wrote: »
    Yeah it’s all well and good dismissing this as mindless twitter noise but it isn’t. That’s just a fact. A lot of this stuff is pumped out via prominent media sources. Even left wing academics are now pointing out a stifling of freedom of expression and hounding of staff on spurious grounds, many large corporations now push things like critical race theory and privilege theory in mandatory training sessions. Here in England we had a Labour shadow minister arguing for this stuff to be put on the curriculum thus making the party look like muppets when a black Tory minister rubbished the idea.

Your points about the horrible grinding racism in the USA and other places aren’t wrong, but acknowledging that doesn’t mean we have to embrace this other nonsense either. Pretending that swathes of the liberal left have hamstrung themselves with this crap helps nobody.

Tis all a bit strange, the last time Ireland had this sort of stuff eminent in it's society it could be argued that those that were left-wing were the ones to mostly fall foul of it. The most prominent example being the disgraceful decision by RTE to not have SF politicians appear on the station. We should know better, and I hope, as a result of how things were up to even 30 years ago, we don't properly import this ****e from America (of the left or right kind).

Maybe if you had tried shouting STOP when black people were routinely being shot or choked by US police forces, perhaps you wouldn't need to be so concerned about racial division arising from poetry translation policies?

I don't see the connection - can you elaborate?

Also - you need to look up the definition of the word "routinely".

Invidious wrote: »
    Well, let's see -- the Guardian, the Independent, the Times, the Associated Press and multiple international newspapers have all covered the story.

Maybe you need to read more broadly?

Isn't it amazing though out of all of the things happening in the world reported in all those newspapers, this is the issue deemed worthy of its own thread on Boards?

• Advertisement

I don't see the connection - can you elaborate?

Also - you need to look up the definition of the word "routinely".

Are you for real? You jumped from poetry translation protocols in Netherlands to victimised white people having to shout STOP, and you ask ME to explain the connection?

white people are going to have to eventually shout "STOP" to the constant demands, or else the white "allies" are going to be so alienated and persecuted that they will switch sides and join the "Far Right". Then there will be a completely racially divided America along racial and ideological lines. A scary prospect.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭francois

Oh goody another culture wars thread

Person with most posts in a thread tells everyone else they're all riled up.

Are you for real? You jumped from poetry translation protocols in Netherlands to victimised white people having to shout STOP, and you ask ME to explain the connection?

white people are going to have to eventually shout "STOP" to the constant demands, or else the white "allies" are going to be so alienated and persecuted that they will switch sides and join the "Far Right". Then there will be a completely racially divided America along racial and ideological lines. A scary prospect.

Where is the connection from poetry to supposed police brutality? What I am referring to is this discrimination in the name of equality, i.e. insisting on white people making way for black people, based solely on the colour of their skin.

That's got nothing to do with police brutality.

Where is the connection from poetry to supposed police brutality? What I am referring to is this discrimination in the name of equality, i.e. insisting on white people making way for black people, based solely on the colour of their skin.

That's got nothing to do with police brutality.
    Where is the connection between poetry translation in Netherlands and a "completely racially divided America along racial and ideological lines. A scary prospect" as you set out above?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Dave0301

I hadn't picked up on this in the media and was enjoying the first few posts of this thread and went and did my own reading as well.

It is a pity that people that can't defend this behaviour then try to deflect and strawman the thread to shut down any sort of debate. Not interested in right or wrong, just reasoned and logical debate.

Where is the connection between poetry translation in Netherlands and a "completely racially divided America along racial and ideological lines. A scary prospect" as you set out above?

Because the first thing is a symptom of a wider trend, and thinking logically about where that trend leads to is to the second outcome.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Isn't it amazing though out of all of the things happening in the world reported in all those newspapers, this is the issue deemed worthy of its own thread on Boards?

Mod:

If you don't like the topic, don't post in the thread, it really is that simple. Do not derail the thread like this again

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2021/mar/10/not-suitable-catalan-translator-for-amanda-gorman-poem-removed?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

Another writer removed as they are not black and female. More racism and sexism by the very people who would proclaim to be fighting against it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2021/mar/10/not-suitable-catalan-translator-for-amanda-gorman-poem-removed?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

Another writer removed as they are not black and female. More racism and sexism by the very people who would proclaim to be fighting against it.

It seems that this is going to play out on translations of her work everywhere, regardless. Those wanting to do so are seeking out some of the best in their field. That said she may or may not actually turn out to be a good poet long-term and the translations could be poor but if it even encourages people to read poetry that is a good thing. More's the pity another layer of exclusivity has been added to the generally little read genre.

Advertisement