Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gordon Elliott photograph

Options
  • 01-03-2021 4:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Silly Gilly

Over the weekend an image was posted on social media showing one of Ireland's most successful horse trainers sitting on a dead horse. The horse had apparently died during exercise and there has been mounting criticism over the apparent lack of respect shown by someone who has animals in their care.

There was a discussion on this on the Horse Racing forum but the mods there are very protective of the "sport" and any criticism is regarded as trolling.

What are people's opinions?

https://www.rte.ie/sport/racing/2021/0228/1199928-gordon-elliott-issues-apology-for-controversial-photo/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Curse These Metal Hands

It was bad enough until he released that shocking explanation.

The photo was taken by someone on Snapchat with the caption "new work rider this morning." There was obviously a culture of not giving a sh1t about the animals among staff there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,032 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

His explanation, that he absent mindedly sat on the dead horse while taking a phone call without realising it, and was then gesturing to someone who tried to speak to him to wait until he had finished his call, should be in the running for the Booker Prize for Fiction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Notmything

His explanation, that he absent mindedly sat on the dead horse while taking a phone call without realising it, and was then gesturing to someone who tried to speak to him to wait until he had finished his call, should be in the running for the Booker Prize for Fiction.

Totally believable, when I found my dad dead I naturally sat on him while I rang the gardai and ambulance.

Scary thing is the hurdles people are jumping to defend him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭randd1

In all fairness, does anyone actually really care?

The only people getting upset by it are the PETA types (who would legalize bestiality if they could) and horsey types (the very same people that ran the horse to death or put it down because of a slight injury), and the usual mix of the permanently outraged.

For the rest of us, its just another outrage story over nothing that matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

This is the image, it's stupid and in bad taste by Elliott.
    https://i2-prod.irishmirror.ie/incoming/article23582675.ece/ALTERNATES/s615/1_STARGORDONELLIOTT.jpg
    Don't click if you're sensitive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,032 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

randd1 wrote: »
    PETA types (who would legalize bestiality if they could)

I'm no fan of PETA, but that's one of the more bizarre claims I've seen made on Boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,156 ✭✭✭screamer

I don’t get the outrage. The horse was dead FFS.
    Would it have been worse if he’d made some horse burgers out of it?
    People need to cop on and stop flogging this dead horse, there’s far, far worse things going on in the world right now. Idiots.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

biko wrote: »
    https://i2-prod.irishmirror.ie/incoming/article23582675.ece/ALTERNATES/s615/1_STARGORDONELLIOTT.jpg

Eugh, what a scumbag

• Registered Users Posts: 24,192 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Anyone who thinks this doesn't matter doesn't have anyone known to them who relies on the sport for a living.

These days with animal welfare so (rightly) under the microscope, the horse sports industry has to be seen as unimpeachable when it comes to safety and respect being shown to these animals in their care.

What Gordon Elliott let happen in this case was careless and unthinking. Betfair have already dumped him over it. Ask them if it doesn't matter.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I'm no fan of PETA, but that's one of the more bizarre claims I've seen made on Boards.

Sometimes a post says much more about the poster

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭randd1

It's PETA, I wouldn't put anything past them.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Scott Tenorman

He's just short of saying he couldn't sweat when it was taken :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

PETA types (who would legalize bestiality if they could)
    PETA have a statement to the opposite
    https://www.peta.org/media/news-releases/petas-statement-bestiality/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Heather Humphrey's 'passed' a letter of support for a farmer convicted of animal abuse, him already having a record for same.
    I think there's a strong support for the racing industry and a blind eye turned.
    This was pretty gross. If you have any care or sympathy for animals you wouldn't behave in such a manner IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

In all fairness, does anyone actually really care?

The only people getting upset by it are the PETA types (who would legalize bestiality if they could) and horsey types (the very same people that ran the horse to death or put it down because of a slight injury), and the usual mix of the permanently outraged.

For the rest of us, its just another outrage story over nothing that matters.

100%. Just a misguided touch of high spirits. Can we now move on to the next case of social media outrage

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

He was only having a rest

• Registered Users Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

He was only having a rest

He looks like he needs one, overweight f*CK. Maybe being chased across a field by a few horse lovers would thin him out and take the smugness off his lardy face and arse.

screamer wrote: »
    People need to cop on and stop flogging this dead horse, there’s far, far worse things going on in the world right now. Idiots.

Ok, so if someone sits on your dead body, giving the "peace" sign for a photo op, nobody should care, right?

Anyway, for everyone back in the real world, Betfair immediately ended their association with him. Hopefully many more to come. BHA are appalled and indicated he'd be finished if he was in the UK, but as he's Irish, they've to wait and see what their Irish counterparts decide.

What a scumbag.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,211 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Notmything wrote: »
    Totally believable, when I found my dad dead I naturally sat on him while I rang the gardai and ambulance.

Scary thing is the hurdles people are jumping to defend him.

Sorry for your loss. Was your Dad a flat horse or national hunt?

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Silly Gilly

screamer wrote: »

This is an industry that receives a large amount of Government funds to keep it afloat. I thinks it's fair that people should discuss if such funding should be made when abhorrent images like these emerge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭Blackjack

he may have had inspiration from this guy

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 70 ✭✭DelaneysMule

I would really worry about any horses under his "care".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

The way he's sitting on the horse, isn't exactly how you'd absent mindedly sit on anything let alone a dead horse. It really shows a lack of respect and empathy to the horse, I'm sure the owner is very impressed!
    A lot of owners wouldn't be happy to see the likes of this carryon and I wouldn't be surprised if some owners withdraw their horses from his stables. He depends on horses for his livelihood, the least he should do is show them a little respect.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭votecounts

used to be a fan of Elliott, but now after seeing that, he's just a cnut

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

Just seen that betfair have dropped him now . Better stupid to be allowing himself to be photographed like that

• Registered Users Posts: 8,211 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

I would really worry about any horses under his "care".
    I'm sure Elliot will be gutted to hear that you would be really worried. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Over the weekend an image was posted on social media showing one of Ireland's most successful horse trainers sitting on a dead horse. The horse had apparently died during exercise and there has been mounting criticism over the apparent lack of respect shown by someone who has animals in their care.

There was a discussion on this on the Horse Racing forum but the mods there are very protective of the "sport" and any criticism is regarded as trolling.

What are people's opinions?

https://www.rte.ie/sport/racing/2021/0228/1199928-gordon-elliott-issues-apology-for-controversial-photo/

Is that John Connors?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

biko wrote: »

He looks like a thundering gobshyte in both pictures.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Allinall

Girly Gal wrote: »
    The way he's sitting on the horse, isn't exactly how you'd absent mindedly sit on anything let alone a dead horse. It really shows a lack of respect and empathy to the horse, I'm sure the owner is very impressed!
    A lot of owners wouldn't be happy to see the likes of this carryon and I wouldn't be surprised if some owners withdraw their horses from his stables. He depends on horses for his livelihood, the least he should do is show them a little respect.

The horse was dead.

How can you show empathy to a dead horse?

Do the knackers arrive in a floral laden truck and say a decade of the rosary before taking it away? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

It is sad alright and yes photographic evidence is required to cross our line of sight before we voice our outrage but it's naive to assume this is the worst carry-on within the sport.

Advertisement