Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gordon Elliott photograph

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

If he was a fireman who sat on the smouldering corpse of a victim, you might have a point.

Are you saying that horses' welfare under his charge is an issue? That's a very serious charge. Are you saying he mistreated this particular horse? Or others.

Surely equine welfare inspectors would have flagged concerns.
    He was obviously good at what he did. Horses seemed to have done ok under him.
    (Pardon the pun)

He's "guilty" of "disrespecting" a dead horse.
    Thats it. Being thrown under the bus by the horsey crowd to appease the mob, and divert the spotlight. Everyone falling over themselves in their efforts to distance themselves from him.

He stands to lose everything for some ill-conceived humour.
    His business - the employment of many, his reputation, his income. Everything.

For sitting on a dead horse.

Really? "The price you pay" is everything. Is this the pound of flesh we're extracting now?
    For disrespecting dead animals.

The price he will pay will be decided by his sport, and those that back him.

All our talk is just talk.

The price he will pay will be decided by his sport, and those that back him.

All our talk is just talk.

Is the price he is paying appropriate to his action though?

Is the price he is paying appropriate to his action though?

Those who employ him and his sport will dictate. If they are making him pay then the answer is yes.

I see it as nothing but a stupid moment for someone in his position but also acknowledge he is part of a sport under pressure in the general public eye.

I still imagine he will be back in a year or so.

Those who employ him and his sport will dictate. If they are making him pay then the answer is yes.

I see it as nothing but a stupid moment for someone in his position but also acknowledge he is part of a sport under pressure in the general public eye.

I still imagine he will be back in a year or so.

A decent fine for bringing the sport into disrepute, payable to some horse welfare society is plenty IMO. An apology.
    But that won't appease the baying mob, many don't give two fcuks about living horses.

He'll be a scapegoat for the industry, nothing to see here, but look over there at the guy sitting on a dead horse.

A decent fine for bringing the sport into disrepute, payable to some horse welfare society is plenty IMO. An apology.
    But that won't appease the baying mob, many don't give two fcuks about living horses.

He'll be a scapegoat for the industry, nothing to see here, but look over there at the guy sitting on a dead horse.

To cover the damage done to horse racing and its sponsors an equivalent fine might bankrupt him....

He will be a lesson to the rest if they deem fit.

I still think he will get little more than a slap on the wrist, lose plenty of business but be back in a year.

• Advertisement

To cover the damage done to horse racing and its sponsors an equivalent fine might bankrupt him....

He will be a lesson to the rest if they deem fit.

I still think he will get little more than a slap on the wrist, lose plenty of business but be back in a year.

Hopefully, id hate to see anyone ruined for their life for being an idiot

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

blanch152 wrote: »
    If he was a fireman or a doctor or a politician, or some other line or work, then you have a point.

However, he was in charge of looking after horses wellbeing. Losing his job if he is an employee, or his business if he is an businessman (who should know better) is the price you will pay in such situations.

Are you saying this is worse than a doctor sitting on a dead patient or that it's okay for someone with no dealings with horses to sit on a dead horse or that politicians wouldn't know any better other than to sit on a dead horse.

Actually there's probably a few politicians who'd sit there giving it a good flogging.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

It is all very bizaare.

I never heard of Gordon Elliot up to two days ago and over here in England I did not immediately think he was even Irish with his name...horse tainer Tom Murphy yeah sure but anyway...

Something is not quite right.

It is all very bizaare.

I never heard of Gordon Elliot up to two days ago and over here in England I did not immediately think he was even Irish with his name...horse tainer Tom Murphy yeah sure but anyway...

He won the accolade of top trainer at cheltenham in 2017 and 2018.

Surprised you have not heard of him to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

blanch152 wrote: »
    If he was a fireman or a doctor or a politician, or some other line or work, then you have a point.

However, he was in charge of looking after horses wellbeing. Losing his job if he is an employee, or his business if he is an businessman (who should know better) is the price you will pay in such situations.

The horse was dead....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

Might have been answered but has anyone queried how the horse died? That would be the more concerning bit.

He won the accolade of top trainer at cheltenham in 2017 and 2018.

Surprised you have not heard of him to be honest

I have absolutely zero interest in horse riding/traing etc. In fact my eyes just glaze over when any mention of it comes on the radio or TV. I don't dislike it- just complete indifference. He may as well have been a Mongolian national champion mud wrestler.

Granadino wrote: »
    Might have been answered but has anyone queried how the horse died? That would be the more concerning bit.

Heart attack I am led to believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,574 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

He stands to lose everything for some ill-conceived humour.
    His business - the employment of many, his reputation, his income. Everything.

For sitting on a dead horse.

Yeah but it's only one step away from

Well, how many horses are likely to die at the upcoming Chelteham Festival or will need to be put down due to injuries?

All for what? Sport? But that's ok....just reeks to the high heavens.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,640 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

joe40 wrote: »

I have zero interest in racing, but the industry seem to be taking this fairly seriously.

Just a guess, but my impression is that the racing industry is reacting as they are to avoid having a light shone on them and their care of horses in general.

I am just waiting for one sufficiently combative journalist to ask one of those commenting so piously, 'Hang on a second, aren't you the trainer that was responsible for X, Y or Z a few years ago?'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

It is all very bizaare.

Ye have to wonder how did the picture get out in the first place wouldnt ye???

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 119 ✭✭Shelby Foote

Just watching the Davy Russell interview.

He shouldn't have let himself go forward with that, he's not suited to that, not in his skill set.

The likes of Ruby Walsh, Tracey Piggott or AP McCoy would be used to dealing with the media. They'd be too cute to go near that and why should they have to defend Elliott. I feel a bit sorry for Davy there.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,553 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Just watching the Davy Russell interview.

He shouldn't have let himself go forward with that, he's not suited to that, not in his skill set.

The likes of Ruby Walsh, Tracey Piggott or AP McCoy would be used to dealing with the media. They'd be too cute to go near that and why should they have to defend Elliott. I feel a bit sorry for Davy there.

I watched it twice. He wasn't making much sense to be honest. It was a rambling mess of an interview.

A caller on Liveline of all places had a very good point yesterday, what crime has he actually committed to face a trial by social media?

I was in the string him up camp but when you look at it: Yes, he was sitting on a dead horse, but was it as a result of negligent, malicious, or violent behaviour on his or his staffs part, or is it just a photo of someone absentmindly sitting on a horse gesturing for someone to "hold on a minute" while he is concentrating on a phonecall? Bad optics aside.

But is it something you'd absentmindedly do? He had to have made an effort to throw one leg over the horse and sit himself down. It's strange to me that he thought nothing of sitting nice and relaxed on the back of a dead animal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

I watched it twice. He wasn't making much sense to be honest. It was a rambling mess of an interview.

he was nervous, maybe he felt awkward talking about a close colleague

the kelt wrote: »
    Ye have to wonder how did the picture get out in the first place wouldnt ye???

Cheated on the missus and paid the price or so the story goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭dickdasr1234

But is it something you'd absentmindedly do? He had to have made an effort to throw one leg over the horse and sit himself down. It's strange to me that he thought nothing of sitting nice and relaxed on the back of a dead animal.
    It is indeed strange but dark humour is not uncommon among macho males who find difficulty in expressing themselves - think of the two poor Gardaí who were recorded making quare comments about a woman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Cheated on the missus and paid the price or so the story goes.

Lesson there is don't sit on a dead horse while taking a call and pose for a photo.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

It was bad taste to sit on the dead horse and pose for a photo but it's not something worthy of the man losing his livelihood. I would consider it a very minor incident that has been blown out of all proportion.

The bigger question is how did the horse die? Was it through mistreatment? That's what people should be concerned with.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Galwayhurl

The Davy Russell interview was bizarre. He was basically saying that the mistake made was that, nowadays, there are phones everywhere so you can't be sitting on dead horses anymore. Not that one shouldn't do it out of decency and respect.

And even more bizarre was that:

a. he was asked on the show, and
    b. agreed to go on it,

considering he respects horses so little that he punched one in the head in 2017. On camera and all.

https://www.thesun.ie/video/horse-racing/jockey-davy-russell-receives-four-day-ban-after-punching-horse-in-the-head/

What did he get? A 4 day suspension! Worse still he didn't see anything wrong with it and even said that it was "the appropriate thing to do":

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=10155267115480379

Meanwhile a Newcastle fan who punched a police horse got 12 months in prison for the same thing. And rightly so.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/oct/24/newcastle-fan-jailed-punching-police-horse-rogerson

The industry is full of cruelty. They don't see the horses as animals that deserve respect. They see them as money making objects.

Absolute disgusting industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,055 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Ted walsh talking sense today , said whatever happened the chap is fecked now so that should be the end of it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 919 ✭✭✭wicklowstevo

Galwayhurl wrote: »
    The Davy Russell interview was bizarre. He was basically saying that the mistake made was that, nowadays, there are phones everywhere so you can't be sitting on dead horses anymore. Not that one shouldn't do it out of decency and respect.

And even more bizarre was that:

a. he was asked on the show, and
    b. agreed to go on it,

considering he respects horses so little that he punched one in the head in 2017. On camera and all.

https://www.thesun.ie/video/horse-racing/jockey-davy-russell-receives-four-day-ban-after-punching-horse-in-the-head/

What did he get? A 4 day suspension! Worse still he didn't see anything wrong with it and even said that it was "the appropriate thing to do":

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=10155267115480379

Meanwhile a Newcastle fan who punched a police horse got 12 months in prison for the same thing. And rightly so.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/oct/24/newcastle-fan-jailed-punching-police-horse-rogerson

The industry is full of cruelty. They don't see the horses as animals that deserve respect. They see them as money making objects.

Absolute disgusting industry.

I ve been around horses since I was as child , been around the racing industry including the yards and as well as show jumping

and this statement is rubbish , if you want a comparison that is more realistic you can equate racing horses to sports cars , looked after very well and treated in general to the highest possible standards in order to get the best possible performance from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,602 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I ve been around horses since I was as child , been around the racing industry including the yards and as well as show jumping

and this statement is rubbish , if you want a comparison that is more realistic you can equate racing horses to sports cars , looked after very well and treated in general to the highest possible standards in order to get the best possible performance from them.

Not a good analogy.

What happens the horses that aren't in that bracket?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,951 ✭✭✭✭anewme

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Tis misogynistic to ask that question, apparently.

No, we had this yesterday. Its misognist to suggest that it has to be a woman scorned (in huge letters just to emphasise the point:) that brought down this man motivated by revenge. So keep it in your trousers lads, or else!!!

Then you started dragging in Hazel Chu, stating she is imagining racism, totally off topic as well as projecting your view of racism onto Ms. Chu.

That's the crap that you regurgitated from social media anyway. The mods removed your post as breaching standards , so I'm not sure why you want to continue questioning the moderation.

As of today, theres no further clarity where the info came from, but hey, just keep trying to stir.

Advertisement