Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gordon Elliott photograph

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,681 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

ever been on the killing floor of a meat factory odyssey ? ever worked on a farm or with large animals ? had to move and dispose of animals ?
    I understand your upset but don't target me with your anger there are plenty of animals charities that can educate you

No idea what point you think you are trying to make.
    It is totally irrelevent to the current topic.

Apparently because we eat animals what exactly?
    Nope. No point there.
    We dont get to use animals for the craic whatever way we want.

What was wrong with sitting on the dead horse?
    Explain it back to us.
    Senior horse racing people have come out and said it was wrong.
    Why?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

I have seen a lot of comments saying " I wouldn't sit on my dead dog/cat" as if they don't understand that the act of sitting on a dead1500lb horse is different to sitting on a 6lb cat....

Don't sit on any dead animals but there is a difference between sitting/putting your weight on something the size off a horse and a squashing a cat.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,951 ✭✭✭✭anewme

your friend has rescue hens eh ? you must be well versed in large domestic animals

don't feel bad for eating the hen babies ?

you could get your protein elsewhere surely

no animal products at all ? you must live a very spartan life indeed

I live a great life.you need to educate yourself as to what is available now.

Selling the eggs the ex battery hens lay pays for their feed.

This is not the 70’s where vegetarian was a frozen sweet corn burger.

Not sure where you are going with your bizarre kind of questioning though.

It is linked back to the original issue though; people make their own moral decisions and live their life accordingly, it seems not many are aligned with Elliotts in this instance.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 919 ✭✭✭wicklowstevo

buried wrote: »
    I'm not upset in the slightest stevo, I'm delighted this lad has shown up the hypocritical and parasitical industry you are involved with.

The horse died on the gallops, that is common knowledge, now unless 'the gallops' mean a horse pub or a hotel, I'm going to take it, that the term means the training ground you run the animal as fast as it can go? Or maybe with your vast knowledge you can enlighten us just actually what it is?

so you have no idea ? ya though so

you are taking it wrong if that's the way you have chosen to take it

go educate your self that's not up to me . like I said there are many animals charities out there that can help you

how do you know it wasn't a congenial defect, colic, an accident or one of the many other things that can happen

out of interest what punishment would you like him to receive and what you like to happen to the millions of race horses after you shut down the industry ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,951 ✭✭✭✭anewme

so you have no idea ? ya though so

you are taking it wrong if that's the way you have chosen to take it

go educate your self that's not up to me . like I said there are many animals charities out there that can help you

how do you know it wasn't a congenial defect, colic, an accident or one of the many other things that can happen

out of interest what punishment would you like him to receive and what you like to happen to the millions of race horses after you shut down the industry ?

Why do you keep going on as if you are the only one who is aware of animal charities?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

fryup wrote: »
    so let me get this straight...he did the dirty on his wife with a member of staff...wife confronts said member of staff a fight entails and GE gets a great giggle out of it...

...wife gets own back by posting pic

so is this true or just salacious gossip spread on social media??

He apparently had a bit of a shebeen going in his yard also by all accounts.

The way the world is gone these days he would probably face a bigger backlash for that above anything else:rolleyes:

In fact he could probably have done the dirty with his wife whilst sitting on the said dead horse laughing whilst being filmed for only fans and still receive a bigger backlash for having a few drinks in a homemade bar in 2021!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Heat_Wave

Typical nonsense being blown out of proportion. If it’s not people still tearing into Maria Bailey years later, it’s this.

People should be getting outraged at the sport itself, or how about those lads that ride their horses on the main roads in Dublin. This is where the focus should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

It is bizarre how everyone is horrified by a man sitting on a dead horse but it's perfectly normal to ride around on them for sport, strange world

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭batman75

Interesting to see how the IHRB deal with this on Friday. Will time rehabilitate his reputation?

invest away there are many fine charities who work closely with the equine industry

i can suggest a few if you like

:confused: Ok

• Advertisement

• anewme wrote: »
    Sorry, it's not social media backlash.

Its backlash in the mainstream media-especially from those in the industry.

People understand kindness, respect, integrity. They are values not unique to any industry, class or profession. Dont try to belittle people by saying they dont understand these core values; they do, that's what is at the crux of this.

The media backlash has gone too far at this point. The mob pile on has become worse than the original incident in my opinion.

He is a human being who made a costly mistake at the end of the day. We all know it and its in the hands of the authorities.

The media backlash has gone too far at this point. The mob pile on has become worse than the original incident in my opinion.

He is a human being who made a costly mistake at the end of the day. We all know it and its in the hands of the authorities.

He hasn't handled it well since the picture came to light. His initial statement was laughable. It was a pathetic effort to defend the indefensible. It only added to the understandable sense of outrage. If you have done something indefensible you come out with your hands up and profusely apologise.

What I cannot fathom is how how someone whose livelihood is dependant on horses

1. Could show such disrespect to a deceased horse by sitting on it.
    2. Smile and make a peace sign while doing this
    3. Allow himself to photographed on said deceased animal

I think you have to wonder what is says about his character as a human being.

• batman75 wrote: »
    He hasn't handled it well since the picture came to light. His initial statement was laughable. It was a pathetic effort to defend the indefensible. It only added to the understandable sense of outrage. If you have done something indefensible you come out with your hands up and profusely apologise.

I agree it's been a bad response from him. But at the same time it doesn't make the mob pile on right.

I'm sure as horses were being taken out of his yard yesterday it was a horrific realisation. Business will suffer and reputation cast to the dogs. That's punishment enough in my book.

We may be abhorred by the picture of GE sitting on the poor horse but that does not mean we can't show empathy towards the humans caught up in this and the challenges they are facing.

*All the above took place in a snapshot. One moment in time. I doubt it was a considered pose and moreso an impromptu one. Still doesn't make it right!

I agree it's been a bad response from him. But at the same time it doesn't make the mob pile on right.

I'm sure as horses were being taken out of his yard yesterday it was a horrific realisation. Business will suffer and reputation cast to the dogs. That's punishment enough in my book.

Yes his reputation is in tatters. As for the media pile on he has brought it on himself with the picture and the bad response to same. I have no sympathy for him. To sit on a deceased animal and allow your picture to be taken smiling is simply outrageous behaviour. Yes we all make mistakes but he is not some spotty teenager. He is a 40 year old man who should have had more cop on.

My sympathy is for his employees, whose livelihoods are under threat and for his family.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

No matter anyones views.

The man was sat on a slab of unfeeling meat when the pic was taken. It went from there to the knackers yard or incinerator.

But the picture is an embarrassment to his profession.

That's the real issue. He will be dealt with accordingly.

Most likely loss of business and some minor punishment and back in a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

batman75 wrote: »
    Yes his reputation is in tatters. As for the media pile on he has brought it on himself with the picture and the bad response to same. I have no sympathy for him. To sit on a deceased animal and allow your picture to be taken smiling is simply outrageous behaviour. Yes we all make mistakes but he is not some spotty teenager. He is a 40 year old man who should have had more cop on.

My sympathy is for his employees, whose livelihoods are under threat and for his family.

Why? It's certainly not funny but I don't see any harm done. It is a dead non sentient animal. He shouldn't have given an explanation.

Why? It's certainly not funny but I don't see any harm done. It is a dead non sentient animal. He shouldn't have given an explanation.

Pretty much all racing commentators, podcasts and ex jockeys agree that it showed rank disrespect to the horse to do what he did. I don't agree with you but like all of us you are entitled to an alternative opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Aska

Has Colm Quinn BMW come out with any statement yet or are they standing by Gordon? anytime over the past year that I have delivered sand up to his yard the BMWs are all plastered with big Colm Quinn writing on them, so I assume they are tokens.

Hopefully things will sort them selves out, it's a fine set up up there and there are lots of young riders working in the yard and doubt he will close down but he have to regroup and get going again but some of these comparisons liking him to Caroline Flack on FB to me are disingenuous and distasteful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

Pretty much all racing commentators, podcasts and ex jockeys agree that it showed rank disrespect to the horse to do what he did. I don't agree with you but like all of us you are entitled to an alternative opinion.

And the lot of them are idiots. If it disrespectful if the horse was stuffed in a grand hall? Is the problem that the horse's mouth was open and wasn't looking as mighty as in life?

And the lot of them are idiots.

He embarrassed his sport. And like any service provider he will be judged by those in his field and his customers.

That's just reality, if they care, then he should have.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 301 ✭✭Whatisthisnow

More outrage here than there was over the Govt cover up of the Mother and Baby Homes

The man made a mistake. He will pay the price. The public humiliation is a disgrace, same people would give out about the Daily Mails actions in England

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭dickdasr1234

What I cannot fathom is how how someone whose livelihood is dependant on horses

1. Could show such disrespect to a deceased horse by sitting on it.
    2. Smile and make a peace sign while doing this
    3. Allow himself to photographed on said deceased animal

I think you have to wonder what is says about his character as a human being.
    Not sure, but it probably suggests something similar to what I think about those who can't be arsed to spell properly!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭AllForIt

The man made a mistake. He will pay the price. The public humiliation is a disgrace, same people would give out about the Daily Mails actions in England

That problem isn't what he particularly did, it what it says about the 'behind the scenes' sport.

Remember we are breeding horses for sport. Really, how ethical is this. How well are they cared off camera.

This incident brings the whole sport into disrepute. Personally I don't care for it at all. Not that I would vilify everyone involved in it.

AllForIt wrote: »
    That problem isn't what he particularly did, it what it says about the 'behind the scenes' sport.

Remember we are breeding horses for sport. Really, how ethical is this. How well are they cared off camera.

This incident brings the whole sport into disrepute. Personally I don't care for it at all. Not that I would vilify everyone involved in it.

The good ones are cared for better than most kids.

The ones that fail to meet the grade become dog food.

It's an industry. There will be good and bad stories.

This really isn't a secret or shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭AllForIt

The good ones are cared for better than most kids.

The ones that fail to meet the grade become dog food.

It's an industry. There will be good and bad stories.

This really isn't a secret or shocking.

For me this begs a question.

What if we let all animals run wild. Sheep, gotats, horses, indigenous animals of course.

The question is are we 'humans' on balance disrupting the life of animals in a negative way or a positive way. It's hard to say. I guess when it comes to eating them it's not hard to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

AllForIt wrote: »
    For me this begs a question.

What if we let all animals run wild. Sheep, gotats, horses, indigenous animals of course.

The question is are we 'humans' on balance disrupting the life of animals in a negative way or a positive way. It's hard to say. I guess when it comes to eating them it's not hard to say.

The best way to stop this is to stop the crazy growth in population

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭ZeroCool17

It's terrible to think any of our lives can be destroyed overnight but an online mob. What he did was wrong. He has apologised. Why is everyone so quick to just kick a man to death these days? People won't be happy until he hits rock bottom. And by that time it could be too late. Anyone remember Caroline Flack and the trial by media she endured? Words have consequences. Remember that when you start typing nothing but nastiness online.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Curse These Metal Hands

ZeroCool17 wrote: »
    It's terrible to think any of our lives can be destroyed overnight but an online mob. What he did was wrong. He has apologised. Why is everyone so quick to just kick a man to death these days? People won't be happy until he hits rock bottom. And by that time it could be too late. Anyone remember Caroline Flack and the trial by media she endured? Words have consequences. Remember that when you start typing nothing but nastiness online.

I remember her boyfriend. Poor guy, domestic abuse is horrendous.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,043 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

More outrage here than there was over the Govt cover up of the Mother and Baby Homes

There absolutely is not.

At least half the posts on this thread are defending the guy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

JJayoo wrote: »
    It is bizarre how everyone is horrified by a man sitting on a dead horse but it's perfectly normal to ride around on them for sport, strange world

Excellent point.

It was a dumb thing to do. Nothing more, nothing less. I wonder how many of Elliott's staff will be in the dole queue next week?

Advertisement