Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gordon Elliott photograph

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

There absolutely is not.

At least half the posts on this thread are defending the guy.

There's not many defending him and saying it's grand to sit on a dead horse.

I think it was a stupid thing to do but most of us do stupid things from time to time. I think the photo is being blown out of all proportion.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

BattleCorp wrote: »

I think it was a stupid thing to do but most of us do stupid things from time to time. I think the photo is being blown out of all proportion.

I’m a supporter of the horseracing industry in general but shocked by this photo. Anyone who can treat an animal who suddenly and tragically died in that fashion has questions over their head. It makes you ask what is going on behind closed doors that is not visible.

And lets face it - it seems that horse was exercised/raced to death - dosn’t happen many footballers or 200m sprinters.

I’m a supporter of the horseracing industry in general but shocked by this photo. Anyone who can treat an animal who suddenly and tragically died in that fashion has questions over their head. It makes you ask what is going on behind closed doors that is not visible.

And lets face it - it seems that horse was exercised/raced to death - dosn’t happen many footballers or 200m sprinters.

I'm not a fan of the horse racing industry but my Dad used to work part-time on a stud farm years ago so I'm used to being around thoroughbreds.

I agree with you in some ways. It does ask the question what's going on behind closed doors. Lots of unsavory things happen. But that doesn't seem to be the main question many people are asking. I don't see too many on here enquiring how the horse died? Was the horse mistreated? The optics of the pic aren't good but it doesn't mean the horse was mistreated.

Regarding your point about being exercised/raced to death, thoroughbreds are delicate creatures. I was watching one thoroughbred walking around a field at ease, he took off on a bit of a canter and dropped dead of a heart attack. No overworked abuse whatsoever in that case.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

I'm not a fan of the horse racing industry but my Dad used to work part-time on a stud farm years ago so I'm used to being around thoroughbreds.

I agree with you in some ways. It does ask the question what's going on behind closed doors. Lots of unsavory things happen. But that doesn't seem to be the main question many people are asking. I don't see too many on here enquiring how the horse died? Was the horse mistreated? The optics of the pic aren't good but it doesn't mean the horse was mistreated.

Regarding your point about being exercised/raced to death, thoroughbreds are delicate creatures. I was watching one thoroughbred walking around a field at ease, he took off on a bit of a canter and dropped dead of a heart attack. No overworked abuse whatsoever in that case.

I've been loosely involved with a stud farm

Y -my grandfather had a horse and it took off and galloped into a wall and broke its neck and either died on the spot or had to be put down where it fell.Suffice to say it was a freak accident. However nobody went and sat on the poor dead horse or used it for a picnic table after because the ground was wet.

That picture speaks volumes and begs many questions about what might be going on behind closed doors. Lets face it - someone from staff circulated that photo and has now probably sacrificed their career to make that point.

What is going on in his stables and with his animal welfare that we cannot see?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Elliots excuse for sitting on the horse was terrible, he should have said he was playing charades and was given the phrase flogging a dead horse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,951 ✭✭✭✭anewme

begbysback wrote: »
    Elliots excuse for sitting on the horse was terrible, he should have said he was playing charades and was given the phrase flogging a dead horse.

This also relates to the backlash he is getting. The public can be very forgiving, even in an incident or lapse like this. Had he been drunk, it would have appeared loutish, but at least he could have given the reason, I drink too much, it's the pressure of the job or whatever. Off he goes to sort out. The public love a redemption story.

A mistake is something like forgetting your keys, an unintentional error. That's not what we are seeing.

Here, there is no justification or reason to forgive. Instead there is some rubbish about taking a phone call. The excuse given, has actually made things worse for him as it is treating people as stupid. In the absence if a reason, people are seeing it as the true character, and as others have alluded to, as that real character is not nice, people dont see any reason to support.

Back to Louis Walsh and the x Factor "he's got the likeability factor". Might seem very basic, but theres a lot to it.

anewme wrote: »
    This also relates to the backlash he is getting. The public can be very forgiving, even in an incident or lapse like this. Had he been drunk, it would have appeared loutish, but at least he could have given the reason, I drink too much, it's the pressure of the job or whatever. Off he goes to sort out. The public love a redemption story.

A mistake is something like forgetting your keys, an unintentional error. That's not what we are seeing.

Here, there is no justification or reason to forgive. Instead there is some rubbish about taking a phone call. The excuse given, has actually made things worse for him as it is treating people as stupid. In the absence if a reason, people are seeing it as the true character, and as others have alluded to, as that real character is not nice, people dont see any reason to support.

Back to Louis Walsh and the x Factor "he's got the likeability factor". Might seem very basic, but theres a lot to it.

I would disagree that there is no reason to forgive, what he did was idiotic, but that’s as far as it went, if he was beating horses unnecessarily, or bullying employees then that’s a step too far in my book. I don’t know elliots history here, but for bhb to punish him so severely, and so quickly, would indicate to me that he has very few friends at the top, and wouldn’t be surprised to hear him having some powerful enemies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

Love it - would have made more sense haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,951 ✭✭✭✭anewme

I would disagree that there is no reason to forgive, what he did was idiotic, but that’s as far as it went, if he was beating horses unnecessarily, or bullying employees then that’s a step too far in my book. I don’t know elliots history here, but for bhb to punish him so severely, and so quickly, would indicate to me that he has very few friends at the top, and wouldn’t be surprised to hear him having some powerful enemies.

It's more that in the absence of a justification, that his character is just cruel and unrelatable for people. It raises more questions... if he thinks nothing of this, then what are we not seeing.

100% to the enemy point, the timing alone would indicate the release of the image was fully orchestrated and planned, rather than since ex got fed up and released it. Same with the video of the other jockey. Drip feeding this out at the most appropriate time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

I actually believe his statement/excuse, his posture and body language would suggest he's taking a phonecall and loosing his concentration slightly by the camera guy...
    But isn't that the whole argument,.it does seem like he doesn't care or has no respect for the dead horse!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,042 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

No, but plenty of people saying it's not a big deal, all a witch hunt, twitter mob etc.

I don't remember anyone saying that about the Mother and Baby homes, and the point that I objected to was saying people were more outraged by this. That was a horrible thing to say, just genuinely horrible.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

well the twitter focus has now shifted to Eoghan Mcdermott and to be fair, his supposed crimes are far, far worse.

No, but plenty of people saying it's not a big deal, all a witch hunt, twitter mob etc.

I don't remember anyone saying that about the Mother and Baby homes, and the point that I objected to was saying people were more outraged by this. That was a horrible thing to say, just genuinely horrible.

Just to be clear, I haven't mentioned the Mother and Baby homes issue whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

well the twitter focus has now shifted to Eoghan Mcdermott and to be fair, his supposed crimes are far, far worse.

don't tell me he sat on a dead dog :confused:

fryup wrote: »
    don't tell me he sat on a dead dog :confused:

haha not that i know of, google his name and reddit, multiple stories all over twitter and he's left rte it's going to be huge news

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

don't tease (pm me pls)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

fryup wrote: »
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

don't tease (pm me pls)

In fairness, just google his name with twitter or reddit, potentially serious allegations to be fair.

Don't want to break boards.ie rules, have enough of warnings already.

Boards.ie actually closed the threads mentioning anything to do with it.

In fairness, just google his name with twitter or reddit, potentially serious allegations to be fair.

no mention at all anywhere which is totally wrong in my view, but we better get back on point of thread my fault mods !
    the initial point was i think the focus will probably go off gordon now unless there's more to come out he'll be yesterdays news if you like

Whip the sh1te out of a living horse for sport?
    That's fine

Sit on a dead horse for a "laugh"?
    oh we can't be having that....

• Registered Users Posts: 56,291 ✭✭✭✭walshb

That's fine

Yep...I said this right from the start

I can't understand some these people and their mentality....

I enjoy horse racing. I despise to see a jockey inflict physical pain on a horse that is running for you.....there is absolute no excuse....none...but humans still feel the need to inflict pain on the animals. They are already under serious stress in running so hard. Yes, horses born to run, but we sure do push them hard....

The foto was in poor taste, looked poor and uncaring and all that. I get this....

It's kind of weird the whole idea to do what he did.

Elliot likely very much regrets it. He mad a poor error of judgment

• Advertisement

That's fine

It’s a couple of cracks down the backside, wasn’t so long ago it was good enough for kids in school.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Boards still living in the MCD era of overreactions. Meanwhile more people flock to Reddit where issues and social media info can actually be discussed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

Can’t know for sure but horse most likely run into the ground. Ie, pushed so hard by the jockey on the track that he had a massive heart attack, collapsed and died. It happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,474 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Can’t know for sure but horse most likely run into the ground. Ie, pushed so hard by the jockey on the track that he had a massive heart attack, collapsed and died. It happens.

Most unlikely IMO.

I actually believe his statement/excuse, his posture and body language would suggest he's taking a phonecall and loosing his concentration slightly by the camera guy...
    But isn't that the whole argument,.it does seem like he doesn't care or has no respect for the dead horse!?

If there were a wheelbarrow of horse **** there instead of a dead horse you clearly believe he would have sat into that, absent minded?

robbiezero wrote: »
    Most unlikely IMO.

It’s not unusual, nor are broken legs, pelvis etc after falls. He was probably phoning the owner to inform them while sitting there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭joseywhales

I often wonder how it would feel to be cancelled like this. The mental health impact etc. I probably naively believe that I would be fine, I don't really use social media anyway. But it affecting your business would be quite painful, given how much time and work he would have put in and having to let go of some of your staff would be the worst of all. But I still think you would be fine, nothing has changed, your day to day life is same as it ever was. We all act like it's a huge terrible dramatic controversy but in a year's time noone will even remember it.

The entire debacle is pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭dickdasr1234

Ignorance knows no bounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I often wonder how it would feel to be cancelled like this. The mental health impact etc. I probably naively believe that I would be fine, I don't really use social media anyway. But it affecting your business would be quite painful, given how much time and work he would have put in and having to let go of some of your staff would be the worst of all. But I still think you would be fine, nothing has changed, your day to day life is same as it ever was. We all act like it's a huge terrible dramatic controversy but in a year's time noone will even remember it.

The entire debacle is pointless.
    The image is practically iconic, it's already basically become a meme in terms of viral spread. It might be forgotten in a decade IMO. It's not in isolation either, twitter was flooded with allegations of a civil and criminal nature. That won't help his cause by any stretch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭dickdasr1234

The image is practically iconic, it's already basically become a meme in terms of viral spread. It might be forgotten in a decade IMO. It's not in isolation either, twitter was flooded with allegations of a civil and criminal nature. That won't help his cause by any stretch
    Forgotten in a decade? Try a fortnight!

Advertisement