Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gordon Elliott photograph

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭Vic_08

Visual confirmation of what many already assumed about the horse racing industry.

You know you're in trouble when online betting platforms are distancing themselves from you on moral grounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

I'm sure Elliot will be gutted to hear that you would be really worried. :rolleyes:

Hi Elliot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Curse These Metal Hands

Allinall wrote: »
    The horse was dead.

How can you show empathy to a dead horse?

Do the knackers arrive in a floral laden truck and say a decade of the rosary before taking it away? :rolleyes:

Well considering they invest so much time into declaring their love and respect for the animals this doesn't exactly reflect that does it?

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭top floor

The horse had apparently died during exercise and there has been mounting criticism over the apparent lack of respect shown by someone who has animals in their care.

I see what you did there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Allinall

Well considering they invest so much time into declaring their love and respect for the animals this doesn't exactly reflect that does it?

That's live animals.

Can you love or respect a dead horse?

Should they have a wake and let all the other horses come?
    They could hand round plates of horse nuts and have a mournful neighing session.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52,010 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I wonder what the cause of the horse’s death was?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Pig ignorant thing to do but all the outrage is a bit OTT, what do people think the horsey industry is about? Feeding them sugarcubes until they run to the rainbow bridge at a ripe old age?

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Silly Gilly

This is the nub of it. The hypocrisy in the difference between the horse racing industry's public words and private actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Curse These Metal Hands

That's live animals.

They could hand round plates of horse nuts and have a mournful neighing session.

If you think it's illogical to show a level of decency to the remains of an animal you supposedly cared about then there's really no point in talking to you.

You can't go from caring about something to posing comically with it's dead body shortly after it died. If you do, then it's just clear you really don't care about the animals you work with. Which is clear from this photo.

That's live animals.

So you'd be fine with someone posing for a photo op/laugh over a family member's dead body, then?

Can't love or respect a dead thing, right?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 70 ✭✭DelaneysMule

It's a terrible industry. The horses are slaughtered and shipped to France to be eaten once they've been retired. That's the last few quid to be made out of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,041 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

I wonder what the cause of the horse’s death was?

Heart attack, according to Gordon.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,053 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

The horse was dead.

How can you show empathy to a dead horse?

Do the knackers arrive in a floral laden truck and say a decade of the rosary before taking it away? :rolleyes:

that's what i was thinking

• Registered Users Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭randd1

The poor horse was likely ran to death. Had a sulky been attached there's be universal outrage. But it's perfectly fine once it's proper racing.

Yet the outrage is over him sitting on the animal?

If the outrage was of him sitting on the horse after having it run to death I can understand that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,211 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Vic_08 wrote: »
    Visual confirmation of what many already assumed about the horse racing industry.

You know you're in trouble when online betting platforms are distancing themselves from you on moral grounds.

You're kidding, Betfair are lapping this up, they've been mentioned 200 times in the media already today!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

His explanation, that he absent mindedly sat on the dead horse while taking a phone call without realising it, and was then gesturing to someone who tried to speak to him to wait until he had finished his call, should be in the running for the Booker Prize for Fiction.

https://twitter.com/arfser/status/1366338148054269953
    Just seen that betfair have dropped him now . Better stupid to be allowing himself to be photographed like that

Must say I was pretty surprised that a horse trainer is allowed to take sponsorship money from a gambling company. People who gamble on horses really are being taken for mugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 56,286 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Bad error of judgment

But worse things happening every day on race courses.

Human beings whipping horses that are breaking their hears to run for us..running at full tilt as well. But that is not enough for us. We also need to whip them!

Not much said about the constant pain delivered to these beautiful carefree animals, and all for our enjoyment!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,211 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

randd1 wrote: »
    The poor horse was likely ran to death.

Wow, glad to see you don't believe in spreading wild gossip!

Muahahaha wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/arfser/status/1366338148054269953

Must say I was pretty surprised that a horse trainer is allowed to take sponsorship money from a gambling company. People who gamble on horses really are being taken for mugs.

You only have to watch a couple of horse races to know that there is a huge amount of corruption involved. Betfair brought about the ability for people to bet on horses to lose races. If you understand jockeyship, its very very clear that some jockeys are riding horses in a manner that ensures they won't win the race. Some horses don't run up to the standard that they usually would run. Some horses display an incredible amount of improvement out of nowhere. I know they are not machines but it's quite clear that the entire sport is very corrupt.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

I'm no fan of PETA, but that's one of the more bizarre claims I've seen made on Boards.

might be a south park fan....

• Advertisement

walshb wrote: »
    Bad error of judgment

But worse things happening every day on race courses.

Human beings whipping horses that are breaking their hears to run for us..running at full tilt as well. But that is not enough for us. We also need to whip them!

Not much said about the constant pain delivered to these beautiful carefree animals, and all for our enjoyment!

Yes, being whipped past the point of exhaustion every time they race. It's quite barbaric. Maybe Usian Bolt could have run 100 meters under 9 seconds if there was some machine whipping him in the a*se throughout the race

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Silly Gilly

The whole industry is problematic from the treatment of animals to the inextricable links with betting companies, who are well overdue much stricter government regulation. Added to that you have the questionable characters involved that invest large amounts of money such as the daughter disappearing Sheik Mohammed.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Bodjhrjekekr

It's a terrible industry. The horses are slaughtered and shipped to France to be eaten once they've been retired. That's the last few quid to be made out of them.

I wouldn't consider that any worse than pig/sheep/cattle/chicken industries where animals often held in tiny cages and killed after a few months of life? They are all animals, horses get a significantly better life than most animals used for money making

[QUOTE=Muahahaha

Must say I was pretty surprised that a horse trainer is allowed to take sponsorship money from a gambling company. People who gamble on horses really are being taken for mugs.[/QUOTE]

I didn’t know that they were allowed to take sponsorship from betting companies either. Surely there’s a conflict of interest here?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

So you'd be fine with someone posing for a photo op/laugh over a family member's dead body, then?

Horses aren't people

walshb wrote: »

Are you vegetarian/vegan? If so I accept your opinion - if not then it's just not valid. All animals are beautiful and carefree that does not stop people from eating them after a few months of their lives.

Millions of people, probably billions are vegetarian without issue, so health reasons are just not good enough excuse to eat meat too (so much studies have shown how bad dairy and meat actually are for people too).

I wouldn't consider that any worse than pig/sheep/cattle/chicken industries where animals often held in tiny cages and killed after a few months of life? They are all animals, horses get a significantly better life than most animals used for money making

Whataboutery.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

That's live animals.

If your dog died, would you just dump him out with the rubbish or some show respect by burying him? Really hope you don't have pets.

Horses aren't people

Would you pose over a photo of your dog if it died, sitting and laughing on it?

The owners of his horses pay thousands of euro a year too - if that was a small trainer or any other trainer I'd imagine they would be heartbroken - if anything else they've lost a client and money!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,032 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Are you vegetarian/vegan? If so I accept your opinion - if not then it's just not valid. All animals are beautiful and carefree that does not stop people from eating them after a few months of their lives.

Millions of people, probably billions are vegetarian without issue, so health reasons are just not good enough excuse to eat meat too (so much studies have shown how bad dairy and meat actually are for people too).

vdpl85mpq5pdteeoykqfajglnvy-gif.867319

Advertisement