Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gordon Elliott photograph

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Gordon Elliott gets a 6 month ban and fine

Common sense has prevailed

Yeah fair enough really.

I assume his horses are going to Cheltenham, they'll punish him but not to the point where it costs them money!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Stateofyou

bubblypop wrote: »
    So working horses shouldn't be shown any respect?

I wonder what the reaction if a member of the Garda Mounted Unit sat on one of their dead horses and got a photo taken, laughing and joking?

This is literally my point. They should. :)

I would imagine the Garda in question would be disciplined.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,192 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

From what I heard the other night, his two assistant trainers don't possess licences in their own right.

If that puts the full yard out of work and takes blameless owners out of Cheltenham and Aintree, then its too much.

If GE can be taken out of the operation and it can continue otherwise as normal, then its about right.

I await those details.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Larbre34 wrote: »
    From what I heard the other night, his two assistant trainers don't possess licences in their own right.

If that puts the full yard out of work and takes blameless owners out of Cheltenham and Aintree, then its too much.

If GE can be taken out of the operation and it can continue otherwise as normal, then its about right.

I await those details.

I think a 6 month ban is a bit harsh. A fine maybe. I assume he can appeal?

Oh I thought you already had your final word. Apparently not then. Disingenuous rubbish...is that the best you can do..no chance of a reasoned thought out rebuttal?

I disagreed with her opinion at 9:25 this morning. End of. She has not been back to post any sort of retort or response but you are still going on about it...why are you still banging on about it? But here you are hours later banging on about an exchange with another poster.

Now I know you are the same poster. Off with you.

Now instead of a valid point all you have is to accuse me of being another poster because I disagree with you. This is literally the pinnacle example of someone refusing to allow anyone else an opposite opinion, and instead resorts to insults and baseless accusations on anyone who disagrees with you. And that poster has been back well after 9:25 so you're a liar to boot. Your posts say it all really. Accusing me of being another poster is just pathetic carryon. Let it go partyguinness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭joseywhales

BattleCorp wrote: »

I am very curious as to what law they referenced in their judgement. There is probably something in there regarding bringing the sport into disrepute, which is a bit of a catch all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

What a hullabaloo over nothing. Leave the man alone, he has done more to care for horses than anyone posting here. Let him have his 6 month holiday so to get over the stress of the past few days. Tho I don’t think your’ man the dentist got banned from pulling teeth after his photo with Cecil the Lion went global.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭dickdasr1234

The ban, just like the photo, is about optics. There are many qualified trainers who could be nominally installed with minimum, if any, impact on normal routine.

As for an appeal, he has made an ass of himself once already!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

I'd say he'll be happy enough to keep the head down for a while,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

I thought it was a bit harsh also, I suppose they had to be seen to appease the outrage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Stateofyou wrote: »
    Now instead of a valid point all you have is to accuse me of being another poster because I disagree with you. This is literally the pinnacle example of someone refusing to allow anyone else an opposite opinion, and instead resorts to insults and baseless accusations on anyone who disagrees with you. And that poster has been back well after 9:25 so you're a liar to boot. Your posts say it all really. Accusing me of being another poster is just pathetic carryon. Let it go partyguinness.

That poster last posted here 6 hours ago and only a handul of posts between from 9:25 when I posted.

Go back and read your own posts. All you have done is say what a big bad nasty bully I was attacking her when I called her post an obnoxious sneer when she brought up his panel beating background. Boo hoo...I attacked her post.

I say it is of no relevance and it is a cheap shot. You don't agree. Fine. Great. Move on. So now the question is why in God's name are you still banging on about it..it is just very weird. Furthermore you have not given any reason as to why you regard his family business as relevant...oh no sorry...others on social media have said it so that's all the validation you need to hide behind. Deep.

So I'll ask again:

Why are you posting and investing so much time on a post from different poster from a brief interaction 9:25am this morning?

(Still waiting to you deny being one and same poster..;))

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Scott Tenorman

The length of ban is probably on the harsh side IMO but was understandable & Elliott accepted it in his statement.

Hope there is nothing else to come out.

Have to say I don't like this "cancel culture" that we have developed.

That poster last posted here 6 hours ago and only a handul of posts between from 9:25 when I posted.

Go back and read your own posts. All you have done is say what a big bad nasty bully I was attacking her when I called her post an obnoxious sneer when she brought up his panel beating background. Boo hoo...I attacked her post.

I say it is of no relevance and it is a cheap shot. You don't agree. Fine. Great. Move on. So now the question is why in God's name are you still banging on about it..it is just very weird. Furthermore you have not given any reason as to why you regard his family business as relevant...oh no sorry...others on social media have said it so that's all the validation you need to hide behind. Deep.

So I'll ask again:

Why are you posting and investing so much time on a post from different poster from a brief interaction 9:25am this morning?

(Still waiting to you deny being one and same poster..;))

You're being put on ignore now and you've already been reported for your aggressive posts, insults and baseless accusations.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Mod

Better idea: both of you (partyguinness and stateofyou) take a week off from the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

The length of ban is probably on the harsh side IMO but was understandable & Elliott accepted it in his statement.

Hope there is nothing else to come out.

Have to say I don't like this "cancel culture" that we have developed.

There may be a strange correlation for people between the outrage here coupled with being outraged at someone not strictly following COVID guidelines to the letter!

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭batman75

In a sense the ban is incidental. In the eyes of the general public whenever his name is mentioned people will think of the picture.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

12 month ban 6 suspended seems fair, his reputation is in tatters though

• Registered Users Posts: 42 conndeal

The 15,000 in costs seems very expensive. The function and role of the Irish Racing Board is regulating the industry. They were just doing what they are set up to do. I would expect them to be funded for that already. Why did it cost 15,000?

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭batman75

Have just read the IRHB report on today's proceedings. It is quite damning on Elliott though ultimately it accepts he is genuinely remorseful.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,951 ✭✭✭✭anewme

conndeal wrote: »
    The 15,000 in costs seems very expensive. The function and role of the Irish Racing Board is regulating the industry. They were just doing what they are set up to do. I would expect them to be funded for that already. Why did it cost 15,000?

I thought 15,000 was was on the light side, would have expected more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

In modern life, the punishment rarely fits the crime!

A six month ban for sitting on a dead horse from a sport that whips horses to run faster...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

15K is a pathetic punishment for someone who makes 6+ figure profit per year. They should make him contribute his last 3 winnings worth to an animal welfare charity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭Anniepowaaa

15K is a pathetic punishment for someone who makes 6+ figure profit per year. They should make him contribute his last 3 winnings worth to an animal welfare charity.
    first post:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

anewme wrote: »
    I thought 15,000 was was on the light side, would have expected more.

15,000 was costs not a fine. Would you expect it would've cost more to hold the disciplinary meeting.

15,000 was costs not a fine. Would you expect it would've cost more to hold the disciplinary meeting.

Thought it was the fine..is that 15k as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

How much do you think the stables make from the winnings of each race ?

Generally the stable cut would be in around 10% but every arrangement could be different.

His last 3 winners have amassed the princely sum of €17,700
    His last 3 payouts (1 x winner, 2 x places) have amassed the princely sum of €8,700

Using 10% as a guide your proposition would have him paying either €1700 or €870.

Go to the back of the class....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭boardise

is it known on whose social media account the photo first appeared online?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

I'm personally fine with his fine

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭scooby77

Tbh think its harsh. Missing Cheltenham alone would have been punishment enough. 6 months could have a serious long term impact on his and his employees livelihoods.
    It was a serious error of judgement. Many of us have made them, but few of us have had to endure a public lynching.
    I cant begin to imagine the mental torture the man and his family are going through. I genuinely feel sorry for them.
    I lived and worked in Kildare for over a decade, and had( and still have some) friends in that industry. Though have never met the man, to think that someone like Elliot doesnt respect their horses is simply ludicrous.

• Advertisement

ShyMets wrote: »
    I'm personally fine with his fine

How much was it?

Advertisement