Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gordon Elliott photograph

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭batman75

He has not been fined. He has to pay the cost of the hearing. Those who are repulsed by what he did won't feel he has been punished enough. Those who support him will most likely feel he was hard done by.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,677 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

scooby77 wrote: »
    Tbh think its harsh. Missing Cheltenham alone would have been punishment enough. 6 months could have a serious long term impact on his and his employees livelihoods.
    It was a serious error of judgement. Many of us have made them, but few of us have had to endure a public lynching.
    I cant begin to imagine the mental torture the man and his family are going through. I genuinely feel sorry for them.
    I lived and worked in Kildare for over a decade, and had( and still have some) friends in that industry. Though have never met the man, to think that someone like Elliot doesnt respect their horses is simply ludicrous.

Many of your friends regularly sit on dead horses?
    If it's such an unobjectionable thing to do I'm surprised we haven't seen lots of horse people sitting on dead horses to show their solidarity with GE.
    What was wrong with his actions? You say it was a serious error of judgment, why?
    How does it show respect for a dead horse to sit on it while joking around???

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

anewme wrote: »
    How much was it?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,951 ✭✭✭✭anewme

ShyMets wrote: »

On top of the costs?

Or are the costs the fine?

On top of the costs?

Or are the costs the fine?

15k covers the costs. Nothing else on top of that

• Advertisement

15k covers the costs. Nothing else on top of that

Right, thanks, he should have had a fine as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,192 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

boardise wrote: »
    is it known on whose social media account the photo first appeared online?

Its well known in the game and among punters how and why the photo went public, but we cannot discuss it here because its potentially libellous.

Ask on twitter or somewhere where they don't appear to care about such things.

Right, thanks, he should have had a fine as well.

15k is enough for a bit of horse play

15k is enough for a bit of horse play

I expected double.

Should have been 15k costs and 15k to horse rescue.

Anyway, I do think he should be left alone now.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,053 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Is the price he is paying appropriate to his action though?

No

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

No

Yes 10 fold

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

The good ones are cared for better than most kids.

The ones that fail to meet the grade become dog food.

It's an industry. There will be good and bad stories.

This really isn't a secret or shocking.

What % are 'good ones' ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭touts

His career was finished the moment the photo showing the reality of his attitude to horses leaked. Horse racing had to make an example of him because they still have not recovered from the PR disaster that was Cheltenham with crowds last year and then their insistence on continuing to hold races for weeks last year after everything else voluntary shut down. The sad thing is the industry will hand all their failings on him as the sacrificial lamb.

No need to look any further at animal abuse. We banned Elliott.
    No need to look at the human rights abuses of the billionaire arab owners. We banned Elliott.
    No need to examine the huge tax incentives we get. We banned Elliott.
    No need to reform betting rules to prevent the immense damage done to gambling addicts and their families. We banned Elliott.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

So will the bold Gordon be signing on for the covid pup for the next 6 months.

Also why was the second half of his suspension suspended, good behaviour?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,053 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Larry goodman got off lightly for feeding us horsemeat to be fair

• Registered Users Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

I thought RTE News coverage's tone tonight was very sympathetic to Elliot. Similar to their daily sports they are always very biased daily towards Irish horse racing.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I don't get it. It's not animal cruelty, the horse was dead . In other countries they knowingly eat horse meat so its akin to a beef farmer sitting on a dead cow.
    Unless there's something else to it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭touts

cj maxx wrote: »
    I don't get it. It's not animal cruelty, the horse was dead . In other countries they knowingly eat horse meat so its akin to a beef farmer sitting on a dead cow.

The callous disrespect for the animal after it had apparently been ridden to a heart attack is a window into the wider approach to horses in the industry. The top 5-10 stud horses like Galileo are treated like royality. Luxurious stables. Dedicated paddocks. The best vets and grooms and jockeys. All for the €200k a pop stud fees.

For the rest of the poor horses many are ridden to a heart attack just like this poor animal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

It shines a spotlight on greater soceity's use of animals. If a highly regarded purebred racehorse in a highly regarded industry is disregarded as such then what are the outcomes for the lowly regarded like pigs for example, or hungry calves in live exports and so on.

• IrishHomer wrote: »
    I thought RTE News coverage's tone tonight was very sympathetic to Elliot. Similar to their daily sports they are always very biased daily towards Irish horse racing.

A very bad error of judgement was made however, the outrage and vileness directed at him was way over the top to be fair. He is human and made a mistake. I heard people close to him were very worried about him.

Wonder if people's frustration over the current situation fed into the social media mob. It was one hell of a kicking. The same mob will move onto their next target before long.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,192 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Ah now he deserved the kicking, it was one of the most crass, unthinking, disrespectful things I've ever seen. He's a major figure in the Sport and the message it sent out regarding animal welfare was absolutely dreadful, especially in the wake of the Greyhound welfare scandal of recent times.

What he did, actually undermined thousands of jobs and betrayed the yard staff all over the World who give up the big events in their lives to care for these animals, eating and sleeping with them when required.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

touts wrote: »
    The callous disrespect for the animal after it had apparently been ridden to a heart attack is a window into the wider approach to horses in the industry. The top 5-10 stud horses like Galileo are treated like royality. Luxurious stables. Dedicated paddocks. The best vets and grooms and jockeys. All for the €200k a pop stud fees.

For the rest of the poor horses many are ridden to a heart attack just like this poor animal.
    Exactly. It's a business norm probably. Elliot was crass, and deserves ridicule. But it's a bit like being suspended from work for making a bad joke.
    A bit excessive, no ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

It is excessive.

I'm going to assume most of the extremely outraged (no problem with the lesser outraged as it was indeed a bit crass) have never seen what goes on in an abattoir. Bloody hell that would open your eyes.

Although, even if they did I don't think they would be as up in arms as they are here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

Exactly. It's a business norm probably. Elliot was crass, and deserves ridicule. But it's a bit like being suspended from work for making a bad joke.
    A bit excessive, no ?

Not these days, if the bad joke was deemed to be racist you’d probably be fired.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,658 ✭✭✭Floppybits

A guy sits on a dead horse and gets slaughtered but financial folks rip off a customer and are fined 4.13 million by the banking regulations and not a peep out of anyone. And to make it worse those the participated in this are still in their jobs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 119 ✭✭Shelby Foote

auspicious wrote: »
    It shines a spotlight on greater soceity's use of animals. If a highly regarded purebred racehorse in a highly regarded industry is disregarded as such then what are the outcomes for the lowly regarded like pigs for example, or hungry calves in live exports and so on.

Hungry calves in live exports? There are no calves exported live.

Human nature is human nature, there will always be people with a bad streak, in urban and rural settings who abuse cats, dogs, cattle, pigs, sheep etc.

For what it's worth I don't think Elliott is one of them. There's a big difference between clowning around with a dead animal and being an abuser.

When I first saw the photo I got a bit of a shock. But on reflection his treatment is more symptomatic of society today.

Appearance and image is everything. If you cross these lines you are more of a pariah than if you're constantly doing a lot worse, in a low key manner under the media radar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭LawBoy2018

I think untold damage has been done to the industry as a whole, and they know that. The beginning of the end? We shall see..

Hungry calves in live exports? There are no calves exported live.

Human nature is human nature, there will always be people with a bad streak, in urban and rural settings who abuse cats, dogs, cattle, pigs, sheep etc.

For what it's worth I don't think Elliott is one of them. There's a big difference between clowning around with a dead animal and being an abuser.

When I first saw the photo I got a bit of a shock. But on reflection his treatment is more symptomatic of society today.

Appearance and image is everything. If you cross these lines you are more of a pariah than if you're constantly doing a lot worse, in a low key manner under the media radar.

What are you talking about? 16,169 calves were exported in 2020.

https://www.bordbia.ie/farmers-growers/prices-markets/cattle-trade-prices/live-cattle-exports/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 119 ✭✭Shelby Foote

LawBoy2018 wrote: »
    What are you talking about? 16,169 calves were exported in 2020.

https://www.bordbia.ie/farmers-growers/prices-markets/cattle-trade-prices/live-cattle-exports/

They are named 'calves' but over 6 months. Not what most farmers call a calf. They're not suck calves.

• Advertisement

They are named 'calves' but over 6 months. Not what most farmers call a calf. They're not suck calves.

They're still calves though.

Advertisement