Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gordon Elliott photograph

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

The horse was dead when the picture was taken, people do realise that when a horse dies it's minced up into dog food?

I mean horse racing set up massive jumps to 'up the excitement' of a horse falling all to help push gambling and your chance off winning, and that's absolutely fine apparently? But when a guy sits on a dead horse suddenly everyone cares about horses???

Quality off live is what matters...or is it crying about stuff on social media?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

randd1 wrote:
    Well, almost always when a healthy racehorse has a heart attack, it's usually because the poor thing has been flogged and run to the point it's heart gives way.

I would love to see where you got this information from.
    This sort of hyperbole doesn't help anyone. It's incredibly difficult to get taken seriously about the genuine issues in any sort of welfare case when you have to wade through this sort of made up "facts".

• Registered Users Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭buried

JJayoo wrote: »
    The horse was dead when the picture was taken, people do realise that when a horse dies it's minced up into dog food?

I mean horse racing set up massive jumps to 'up the excitement' of a horse falling all to help push gambling and your chance off winning, and that's absolutely fine apparently? But when a guy sits on a dead horse suddenly everyone cares about horses???

Quality off live is what matters...or is it crying about stuff on social media?

Then why doesn't Gordon say exactly that 'these lads are no better than dogfood' when he is on television when one of these animals wins after a horse race instead of doing what he usually does and acting like these animals are some sort of sacred kin within his job when they do win?

Probably because it wouldn't look so good for the industry, just like sitting your asre on one when its dead doesn't either.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 12,466 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Sitting on a dead horse is hardly a crime, no evidence he hurt the horse in any way. I mean people go out and actually shoot wild animals and then pose for photographs with them.

Or behead non believers and post videos of the work.

On the first part of the journey
    I was looking at all the life
    There were plants and birds and rocks and things
    There was sand and hills and rings
    The first thing I met was a fly with a buzz
    And the sky with no clouds
    The heat was hot, and the ground was dry
    But the air was full of sound
    I've been through the mill
    About a horse that was dead
    It felt good to be up off the grass
    In the desert, you can remember your name
    'Cause there ain't no one for to give you no pain

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

Yeah. That’s really on the same level of credulity as those blokes that turn up at A&E with a bottle of ketchup stuck up their arse, claiming that they slipped and fell on it while innocently eating chips naked (because it was so warm) on the wet kitchen floor having just cleaned it.

I know a radiographer who occasionally deals with scenarios like this-they just don't ask what happened, it's better all round.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

randd1 wrote: »
    It's PETA, I wouldn't put anything past them.

Oh FFS.
    As they down our way when you've dug yourself into a hole stop digging.
    Instead you have got a pick to go with the shovel.
    I'm sure Elliot will be gutted to hear that you would be really worried. :rolleyes:

Well old Gordon (Meath mucker that he is) will suddenly find that people don't want to know him.

Do you seriously think that O'Leary's Gigginstown are not going to screw his fat lard ar** the next time the contracts come up.

They left Willie Mullins after massive success because he looked for a few quid more.

The industry were on last year crying about needing to be allowed back racing.
    The same industry and it's fanboys who did nothing but spread covid like a plague because they had to go on the pi** in Gloucestershire for a week.

Every other week you would have someone from the industry on OTB regailing us with stories and how they look after their animals.

This just shows how fooking little one of the key people in industry cares.

I have from a young age been around dead cows, dead calves, dead sheep, even a dead donkey and I have seen dead animals on others' farms, I sadly have seen a cow shot with a shotgun to the head by some pr*** from a knackers yard. That was utterly disgusting.

But for the fooking life of me I have never seen someone sitting on a dead animal apart from this thick fooker or maybe one of those eejits in Africa after blowing holes in one of their "trophies".

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭randd1

jmayo wrote: »
    Oh FFS.
    As they down our way when you've dug yourself into a hole stop digging.
    Instead you have got a pick to go with the shovel.

I’m glad to see your sense of humour is as absent as your self righteousness is obvious. FFS indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ashleigh1986

This is going to cost Elliot big time .
    No matter what side you take .... It's just wrong .
    You wouldn't see Aiden o Brien or Tony Mullins , been so stupid to be caught doing something , that is going to have a huge effect on their business .
    The whole thing comes across to me that Elliot has no class .
    His lack of judgement is going to cost him .
    The powers that be in British horse racing are calling for blood .

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Sitting on a dead horse is hardly a crime, no evidence he hurt the horse in any way. I mean people go out and actually shoot wild animals and then pose for photographs with them.

Yes and to most people they are ars*holes like the guy from the states that went and shot the old lion.
    I have no problem people slaughtering animals for food, but you don't pose like an eejit with them after you kill them.
    The ones that pose are doing it to show off and to look triumphal.

WTF was Elliot doing ?

And as for his story he just looks like a complete thicko.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

The horse was dead. So I think a lot of the outrage is over the top. I’ve seen dead horses being disposed of and it isn’t pretty. This is mild.

That said it was a tone deaf and stupid thing to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

What are people's opinions?

He's a piece of ****, matched by his ridiculous statement about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

Imagine if gambling was outlawed in horse racing.

The sport would vanish overnight.

I can't think of another sport where the presenters and commentators are harping on about odds as the primary concern.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

Heard this story on the car radio and got into a bit of a mental cul de sac wondering how does one just "sit down" on a dead horse. Such a weird thing to visualise never mind actually do. Perch on the bony hips? Sit on the neck? Ease gingerly onto the middle? And that 's why I googled the image when I got home. And then when I saw it I thought get up the yard - ya didn't just absentmindedly sit down on that horse, ya gobshyte! It took effort and intention to swing that fat leg over the broad belly of the poor beast and settle in. Probably had to hitch up the trousers to give spread room at the groin, put the hands on the barrel of the horses chest to keep balance. Bloody nasty stupid fool.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

dontmindme wrote: »
    I see no evidence of disrespect for the dead animal.

Look at the photo photo FFS, sitting on a dead animal might be the first signal.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Horse owner here. I've had to have two (leisure) horses destroyed (1st shattered leg in the stable, aged 22, 2nd chronically lame and in pain) Yes, I may be a sap, but if the man who runs the yard where my current horse lives appeared in a photo like this, with either corpse,I would remove any animals from his care.

When the 1st horse had to be destroyed, the vet actually thought the yard owner was the owner of my horse, such was his distress. Second horse, yard owner insisted I leave and he sat stroking the horse as the vet injected him.

buried wrote: »
    Then why doesn't Gordon say exactly that 'these lads are no better than dogfood' when he is on television when one of these animals wins after a horse race instead of doing what he usually does and acting like these animals are some sort of sacred kin within his job when they do win?

Probably because it wouldn't look so good for the industry, just like sitting your asre on one when its dead doesn't either.

Because after a race the horse is still alive....jesus what a weird post, in case you haven't noticed alive and dead are two very different things, do you tell your kids how eventually they will end up being composted by worms?

Because after a race the horse is still alive....jesus what a weird post, in case you haven't noticed alive and dead are two very different things, do you tell your kids how eventually they will end up being composted by worms?

So just because one particular horse wins, that's the only horse you should care about? Just because it won? What about the poor ones ran to death that never win? Gordon has shown us what they mean to the industry 'Ahh sure they are just dog food man, f**k them mopes, Ima sit my fat arse on them dead fools becasue that's all they are good for'

Horse owner here. I've had to have two (leisure) horses destroyed (1st shattered leg in the stable, aged 22, 2nd chronically lame and in pain) Yes, I may be a sap, but if the man who runs the yard where my current horse lives appeared in a photo like this, with either corpse,I would remove any animals from his care.

When the 1st horse had to be destroyed, the vet actually thought the yard owner was the owner of my horse, such was his distress. Second horse, yard owner insisted I leave and he sat stroking the horse as the vet injected him.

And after the horses were dead and there was no more pain or stress what happened?

Did you have a moving burial?

Or did the knackery truck showed up put a chain around the horses leg, dragged it into the truck, then the horse was dumped into the floor off the knackery until it was it's time to be skint and the carcass loaded up.in a truck destined for dog food.

And should you, as the owner, be raked over hot coals for what you allowed happen to the horse once dead?

Of course it was a stupid picture,should have respect for the animals that have given him so much but you would swear he killed the horse or sat on it while it was in pain.

If it turned out the horse was still alive in that picture then I would be the first person wanting to cave skull in

buried wrote: »
    So just because one particular horse wins, that's the only horse you should care about? Just because it won? What about the poor ones ran to death that never win? Gordon has shown us what they mean to the industry 'Ahh sure they are just dog food man, f**k them mopes, Ima sit my fat arse on them dead fools becasue that's all they are good for'

Once again Alive vs Dead, this isn't that complicated. Is there any evidence of him treating horses badly...horses that are alive...seems like I have to point that last bit out for some posters..

And after the horses were dead and there was no more pain or stress what happened?

Did you have a moving burial?

Or did the knackery truck showed up put a chain around the horses leg, dragged it into the truck, then the horse was dumped into the floor off the knackery until it was it's time to be skint and the carcass loaded up.in a truck destined for dog food.

And should you, as the owner, be raked over hot coals for what you allowed happen to the horse once dead?

Of course it was a stupid picture,should have respect for the animals that have given him so much but you would swear he killed the horse or sat on it while it was in pain.

If it turned out the horse was still alive in that picture then I would be the first person wanting to cave skull in

You do know you're not actually allowed to bury a horse in Ireland any more, if it has been put down? What a disgustingly callous post. It's upsetting enough for owners when a horse dies without posting that sort of description, and I say that as someone who has been present for several removals. As yard manager, we rarely allowed owners to be there for it because it's not a pleasant sight, but necessary.

• Advertisement

Once again Alive vs Dead, this isn't that complicated. Is there any evidence of him treating horses badly...horses that are alive...seems like I have to point that last bit out for some posters..

Can only speak for my own situation of course, but that's how I judge most things. I own cats. And I'll be well gone into the mental hospital before you see me sitting on a dead one having a laugh about it.

Where,theres livestock,there's dead-stock

Dont see,the inherent harm in the pic though??

If it shines a spotlight on the many inherent issues,within racing,its no harm either

a lot of virtue-signalling going on from the most crooked and bent "sport" going today

at the end of day it's a dead animal carcass

You do know you're not actually allowed to bury a horse in Ireland any more, if it has been put down? What a disgustingly callous post. It's upsetting enough for owners when a horse dies without posting that sort of description, and I say that as someone who has been present for several removals. As yard manager, we rarely allowed owners to be there for it because it's not a pleasant sight, but necessary.

But that's the reality of owning a horse, I'm sorry if you would rather not think about it but there are plenty of posters here who have zero knowledge of the actual 'logistics' of life and death when it comes to animals.

Look I dislike horse racing, to me it just seems to be about betting, with every sports radio show giving it huge amounts of air time and ads popping up constantly on my phone, they even put in high jumps for the excitement that a horse will fall.

I think horses and donkeys should be respected for the amount of work they have done throughout history, humanity would literally be a thousand years further back without these animals breaking their backs.

But my point is this over the top outrage at a guy sitting on a dead horse when right now there are literally thousands of horses dotted throughout every city and big town that are clearly being mistreated and no one gives a fcuk, but an opportunity to jump on a bandwagon and cry on social media.

But that's the reality of owning a horse, I'm sorry if you would rather not think about it but there are plenty of posters here who have zero knowledge of the actual 'logistics' of life and death when it comes to animals.

Look I dislike horse racing, to me it just seems to be about betting, with every sports radio show giving it huge amounts of air time and ads popping up constantly on my phone, they even put in high jumps for the excitement that a horse will fall.

I think horses and donkeys should be respected for the amount of work they have done throughout history, humanity would literally be a thousand years further back without these animals breaking their backs.

But my point is this over the top outrage at a guy sitting on a dead horse when right now there are literally thousands of horses dotted throughout every city and big town that are clearly being mistreated and no one gives a fcuk, but an opportunity to jump on a bandwagon and cry on social media.

I know a knacker lorry is the reality. Like I said, I have attended several removals to protect the owner from seeing it. It doesn't mean that your post was in any way necessary or purposeful. Most owners would much prefer to bury their horse, but we've actually had a vet threaten to ring the authorities on us and hung around until we called the removal lorry. I work professionally with horses in several spheres. I am well aware of the "reality".

The high jumps are to slow down the speed of the race, just as an aside.

You can be outraged at more than one thing. People are angry, not just the general public but absolutely everyone I know that's involved in racing. Just because an animal dies, does not give you the right to disrespect it, especially if it's not your animal. Whether that's a horse, a dog, or a pig. They're angry not only for the sake of the horse and the other people involved with the horse, but also for the sake of the sport. There are people literally busting themselves to keep these animals in top condition and comfort. They live, sleep and breathe those horses. Then to have some high profile idiot do something like that and have the entire industry thrown under a bus is incredibly frustrating and upsetting.

The high jumps are to slow down the speed of the race, just as an aside.

How many horses get hurt and have to be put down because off the jumps?

Remove the jumps and you automatically make it safer....but the bookies wouldn't like that I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

screamer wrote: »
    I don’t get the outrage. The horse was dead FFS.
    Would it have been worse if he’d made some horse burgers out of it?
    People need to cop on and stop flogging this dead horse, there’s far, far worse things going on in the world right now. Idiots.

The shock and condemnation is coming from many people across the horse racing and owning community has been emphatic. That's the significant aspect of the response.
    It sounds sincere to me, not some damage limitation excercise.
    Are they idiots for expecting a beloved animal to be treat with some dignity? Maybe you've never loved a pet.

Don't worry, the struggle against the horrors in the world hasn't been hindered by the focus this week on the bad attitude of one horse trainer.
    And yes, selling horse meat for human consumption in Ireland would cause a lot of controversy I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭YoshiSays

This is a facinating photograph for so many reasons.
    I really had forgotton about horse racing and then BAM!

Really, horse racing is not the worse sport or the cruelest.
    And most owners probably treat their horses way better than themselves.
    And it can be a huge day out for a lot of people and communities.
    I get this, it can be wonderful. Especially in Ireland.

The horse racing industry like to spin as the sport of kingss.
    It's romantic, you've got ladies day. It's in our blood!
    BUT ... BAM !!!! This picture appears.
    This is gambling, drinking, shagging, lad culture.

Then, you got the whole coronavirus situation.
    We'd forgotton about horse racing because of it.
    We'd had a very questionable Cheltenham a year ago.
    Then we get this. Crazy timing.

Humans treatment of animals in one photo.
    A rich man, sitting on one of the animals he's exploited.
    The very thing that gave him is wealth and fame.

Also, I'm seeing the man who killed the goose that laid the golden eggs.

I hate any kind of animal cruelty, and I'm not being smug here.
    I know people who would die for their horses.

Really, horses are magnificent animals and it just hurts so much to see this photo.

But really this is an incredible photo.

A photo of the century.

(ps, took me two hours to get to the better version of this post)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Personally I have no time for horse racing. The horse racing sport is predicated on betting and I don't care for betting either.

I would like to see horse racing end.

edit: I'd hardly call it 'sport' either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,996 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Why do they use the word destroyed, when a horse is put down?

Advertisement