Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gordon Elliott photograph

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,834 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

kevthegaff wrote: »
    Why do they use the word destroyed, when a horse is put down?

Loss of finance, cutting losses I would say.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 119 ✭✭Shelby Foote

Gordon Elliott's PR people have released a statement on his behalf.

https://youtu.be/hzbi1v14ciQ

• Registered Users Posts: 18,834 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

This is all I can think of:

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,032 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭lalababa

It was a bizzare thing to do but you do realise this was a horse and not a person or even the family pet.

Dead horses are sent are sent to the knackery while dead people receive a burial or cremation. Having been to both I can assure you there's no dignity in death in the knackery and when I go I'd much prefer a proper funeral and burial.

Racehorses are only 1 step removed from cattle and sheep in that in this country they are not seen as a food source but in other countries horse meat is often eaten.

There's a few places in the world where they eat dog and perhaps only a few cannibalistic tribes which eat human flesh to compare a dead horse with a family member is OTT.

As above...and when the knackers lorry comes the crane is attached by a heavy chain with a hook to one of the legs and the animal hoisted into lorry. To most level headed animal workers the supposed behavior of the horse trainer in the photo has absolutely NO relation to what he's actually like when working with animals.
    Wtf kind of stupid knee jerk world do we live in (on line) when the horse racing industry has to come out and pretend to distance itself from 'the photo'. Btw I wouldn't be a fan of horse racing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭newmember2

Yeah. That’s really on the same level of credulity as those blokes that turn up at A&E with a bottle of ketchup stuck up their arse, claiming that they slipped and fell on it while innocently eating chips naked (because it was so warm) on the wet kitchen floor having just cleaned it.

What you do in your spare time is your own business, you don't have to bring it into a discussion about guessing why Gordon Elliot might have been sitting on a dead horse on the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Seems the British Horseracing Association have really forced the hand of their Irish counterparts by already banning Elliot until the Irish investigation concludes. So if the Irish Horseracing Regulatory Board dont make a decision quickly then Elliot is banned from Cheltenham. But if they conclude their investigation quickly and exonerate him then there will be even more uproar, its already an international story being reported on in Australia, the US, etc and lots of people are horrified.

Pretty stupid move by him really. You would also wonder about the culture at his yard if he thought nothing of posing for a photo on top of a dead horse. Whoever took that photo knew he would be fine with it and the caption on the Snapchat shows that it was all a bit of a laugh to them. The culture of the entire yard and its employees comes from him so you would wonder how much love and respect for horses he really has. Its cheap words to say it in press releases but at the end of the day actions speak louder than words.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,032 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

The IT article above mentions the horse died of an aneurysm. Would that imply it was sent for a post mortem, as opposed to straight to the dog food factory as many are suggesting? (I’d assume it still ended up there, just wondering about what happens in the case of a horse that has had a significant investment put into it). Or is horse death by aneurysm something that can be easily determined by other means?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

The IT article above mentions the horse died of an aneurysm. Would that imply it was sent for a post mortem, as opposed to straight to the dog food factory as many are suggesting? (I’d assume it still ended up there, just wondering about what happens in the case of a horse that has had a significant investment put into it). Or is horse death by aneurysm something that can be easily determined by other means?

It's very possible. Aneurysms in horses are fairly rare so it's likely a postmortem was carried out to get that diagnosis, especially as they're usually aortic. Postmortems are pretty common for horses, performance horses in particular.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭dontmindme

So the possibility that he was on the phone and distracted and absent mindedly sat on a horse like I'm sure he's done a zillion times, and continued with the call only then for someone to call him and have his photo taken, this deserves to have him cancelled??

Like WTF do people actually honestly think he was doing on the dead horse. Does anyone have a reasonable explanation without going into hysteria mode?

Ah yeh, sure he was overjoyed and gloating about it's death - Pure projection en masse...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

dontmindme wrote:
    So the possibility that he was on the phone and distracted and absent mindedly sat on a horse like I'm sure he's done a zillion times, and continued with the call only then for someone to call him and have his photo taken, this deserves to have him cancelled??

I'm not sure if you've seen the photo, but I think it's safe to say that that story is a bit of a stretch. You can't absent mindedly sit astride on a horse, whether it's dead or alive. I'm not sure what situation would lead you to having done it "a zillion times".
    dontmindme wrote:
    Like WTF do people actually honestly think he was doing on the dead horse. Does anyone have a reasonable explanation without going into hysteria mode?

Genuinely, without any hysteria, I think he was messing and acting the ejit with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭kyote00

Ye are all flogging a dead horse with this thread....the story has bolted ... stable door left open I’d say

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Silly Gilly

Another video has emerged of a jockey associated with Elliott jumping on a different dead horse. Further evidence of the absolute scum that are involved in this joke of an industry. Cut Government funding now!

Graphic content:

https://twitter.com/AshBeeGeeGees/status/1366531032321777664

Another video has emerged of a jockey associated with Elliott jumping on a different dead horse. Further evidence of the absolute scum that are involved in this joke of an industry. Cut Government funding now!

Graphic content:

https://twitter.com/AshBeeGeeGees/status/1366531032321777664

That's one fat jockey.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

Mick Fitzgerald ".. we have nothing but the interests of these animals at heart."

186 hosres died on English tracks 2019

https://www.horsedeathwatch.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭bb12

As a horse owner I've lost several horses over the years.some had to be shot, some were able to be put to sleep by injection and some collapsed and died on the spot. The first thing I do when one passes is to allow the stablemates to view and sniff the body. They really do mourn their fallen comrade. Next thing I cover the corpse with a tarpaulin, out of respect for the animal and also because it's an upsetting sight. Never have I ever had the urge to straddle one of the dead bodies.

I think Elliot was a moron for doing as he did and if I were an owner with him dishing out so much money monthly for training fees I would inherently question his professionalism and business sense.

I also think it's a bit hypocritical of the racing industry to be so outraged when they ship lorry loads of young healthy racehorses to the abattoirs each week just because they are not fast enough or have minor injuries

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

Absolutely delighted to see him getting his comeuppance. It has been a long time coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

bb12 wrote: »
    As a horse owner I've lost several horses over the years.some had to be shot, some were able to be put to sleep by injection and some collapsed and died on the spot. The first thing I do when one passes is to allow the stablemates to view and sniff the body. They really do mourn their fallen comrade. Next thing I cover the corpse with a tarpaulin, out of respect for the animal and also because it's an upsetting sight. Never have I ever had the urge to straddle one of the dead bodies.

I think Elliot was a moron for doing as he did and if I were an owner with him dishing out so much money monthly for training fees I would inherently question his professionalism and business sense.

I also think it's a bit hypocritical of the racing industry to be so outraged when they ship lorry loads of young healthy racehorses to the abattoirs each week just because they are not fast enough or have minor injuries

The last paragraph of your post is what needs to be covered by a Primetime investigates programme. It’s ok to investigate greyhound racing but as of yet no one will touch the holy grail that is horse racing. Hopefully the cover is being lifted.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Bluwave

auspicious wrote: »
    Mick Fitzgerald ".. we have nothing but the interests of these animals at heart."

We have nothing but the interests of these potentially highly profitable animals at heart while they continue to be highly profitable or potentially profitable.

This bleeding heart stuff is a sham. It’s about money first and foremost and making as much money as possible from these animals.

Not that I have a problem with that, I just have a problem with them pretending it’s not that.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,343 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Notmything wrote: »
    Totally believable, when I found my dad dead I naturally sat on him while I rang the gardai and ambulance.

Scary thing is the hurdles people are jumping to defend him.

Who was your da? Shergar?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,640 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Yes, it was a moronic thing to do, but I don't really see where all the fuss from all the other people in the horseracing industry is coming from.

It's a business, they only care about horses that are fast enough or jump well enough. Plenty of the horses that don't make the grade get sent to slaughter while young and perfectly healthy, so a lot of this outrage is not genuine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

I'm shocked by the over reaction.

Yes its bad but totally inappropriate .Pathetic statement too. What's happening in society is now getting very bizarre

https://twitter.com/ShaneBeattyNews/status/1366668813404667904

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

The language used in the reaction to this is something to behold

strange days we live in

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 70 ✭✭DelaneysMule

This is a good test of your empathy level. It's funny how people who lack empathy in other threads fail the test.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

if only people would hold the minister for housing to the same level of accountability.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,340 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

He should have just eaten it, no-one would have cared then.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭dickdasr1234

He should have just eaten it, no-one would have cared then.
    They've let it go stiff - freezer must be full.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,317 ✭✭✭pgj2015

osarusan wrote: »
    Yes, it was a moronic thing to do, I don't really see all the fuss from all the other people in the horseracing industry.

It's a business, they only care about horses that are fast enough or jump well enough. Plenty of the horses that don't make the grade get sent to slaughter while young and perfectly healthy, so a lot of this outrage is not genuine.

That is surprising. could they not just sell them to say a family who wants a horse for their kids?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

auspicious wrote: »

This is where the outrage should be, and how.many off these are from the jumps? Remove the jumps and you remove 95% off those deaths....but then.it wouldn't be as exciting for the betting odds

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

pgj2015 wrote: »
    That is surprising. could they not just sell them to say a family who wants a horse for their kids?

A thoroughbred racehorse would not be suitable for your average family who wants a horse for their kids. They're far to jumpy for that. Sure they reckon Shergar was dead within hours as the kidnappers wouldn't have been able to handle him.

Advertisement