Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gordon Elliott photograph

Options

Comments

screamer wrote: »
    I am tough though, it’s called reality, you should try living in it.

Put down the internet, you're embarrassing yourself :D

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭bocaman

Gordon Elliott will receive nothing more than a slap on the wrist. He'll vanish for a few months, possibly a year and then return. As for any other censure on the horse industry I can tell you now that just wont happen. The industry is too well got with the politicians to be worried. Besides look at the employment it provides, the revenue it generates etc, etc.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

JJayoo wrote: »
    And after the horses were dead and there was no more pain or stress what happened?

Did you have a moving burial?

Or did the knackery truck showed up put a chain around the horses leg, dragged it into the truck, then the horse was dumped into the floor off the knackery until it was it's time to be skint and the carcass loaded up.in a truck destined for dog food.

And should you, as the owner, be raked over hot coals for what you allowed happen to the horse once dead?

Of course it was a stupid picture,should have respect for the animals that have given him so much but you would swear he killed the horse or sat on it while it was in pain.

If it turned out the horse was still alive in that picture then I would be the first person wanting to cave skull in

Actually , we buried them both ourselves . One is under a cross country bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

And on and on with the outage over a dead horse..... I despair, poor snowflakes, I’d hate to see their reaction to something truly horrific.

that's not the point!

he sat on a dead animal, and he's a professional horse trainer - he works with animals on a daily basis - do you think that's appropriate?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

bocaman wrote: »
    Gordon Elliott will receive nothing more than a slap on the wrist. He'll vanish for a few months, possibly a year and then return. As for any other censure on the horse industry I can tell you now that just wont happen. The industry is too well got with the politicians to be worried. Besides look at the employment it provides, the revenue it generates etc, etc.

Most likely outcome alright - will take a while before anyone can move back to him.

A year - he'll be a reinvented man next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Springfields

His explanation, that he absent mindedly sat on the dead horse while taking a phone call without realising it, and was then gesturing to someone who tried to speak to him to wait until he had finished his call, should be in the running for the Booker Prize for Fiction.
    100%, he is full of it, hope he is barred from Cheltenham

• Registered Users Posts: 21,055 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Hurrache wrote: »
    Don't try blame the reaction on the UK.

that's all you picked up on?

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭eastie17

pgj2015 wrote: »
    That is surprising. could they not just sell them to say a family who wants a horse for their kids?
    Horses are not cheap to keep and can potentially be dangerous if not handled properly to themselves and others so wouldnt just be handing over a horse to a family that wants one

• Registered Users Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

And on and on with the outage over a dead horse..... I despair, poor snowflakes, I’d hate to see their reaction to something truly horrific.

The picture begs the question; if this is how he treats them when they are dead (and is willing to be photographed), how does he treat them when they are alive?

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭noel50

Elliot was a moron but who has not made a error in life the punishment is way over the top there was no animal cruelty .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Mimon

noel50 wrote: »
    Elliot was a moron but who has not made a error in life the punishment is way over the top there was no animal cruelty .

Think so and people are sticking the boot in because he seems like an arrogant xxxxxx. The 8 year old level initial apology didn't help.

He probably should donate a hundred grand to something for horse welfare and learn his lesson.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,343 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

The outrage from mommy and daddy snowflakes who have no problem buying their designer fur baby from a puppy farm but discard it when it no longer suits their lifestyle.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

noel50 wrote: »

and do we know? how did the horse die? - exhausted after a race? surplus to requirements?

The outrage from mommy and daddy snowflakes who have no problem buying their designer fur baby from a puppy farm but discard it when it no longer suits their lifestyle.

Equally true is the stupidity of a rich horsey twat who is looking like some gombeen right now.

It all is what it is. Haha

I'd be more annoyed about the (possibly true or false) covid parties in his stable bar and the mysogony of watching his ex fight the woman he cheated on her with while shouting for them to get their kit off.

Whether its Horse**** or not - its out there now...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 119 ✭✭Shelby Foote

Major generalisation. There are a lot of hardy country people here who think sitting on a dead carcass putting up a peace sign isn't right in the head.

Throwing 'snowflake' into your argument doesn't magically win it for you and make you a tough fella. Probably the opposite..

I don't know what a designer fur baby is? You seem to have the knowledge.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,032 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

fryup wrote: »
    and do we know? how did the horse die? - exhausted after a race? surplus to requirements?

A a heart aneurysm at 7 years of age, according to the Racing Post:

https://www.racingpost.com/news/latest/gordon-elliott-i-will-spend-my-life-paying-for-indefensible-moment-of-madness/475852

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Responder XY

I'm most definitely not a horse racing person, but I'm finding this all a bit bizarre. The guy's actions seem unprofessional and childish, but still the reaction seems to be a bit of a storm in a teacup! I fail to see what the harm done here was (other than making the trainer look like a bit of an idiot). Or why this suggests he's in any way incapable of looking after horses.

The horse racing industry has bigger issues to deal with than this. Such as what happens to horses that don't make it on the track, or what they do with them once they have outlived their usefulness/get injured.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Lol, if you think the outrage is from some privileged snowflakes who would get a fright from a fart, you've another thing coming. The people I know who've worked with horses and the industry are using language I can't put here, best thing Elliott and that jockey in the video could do is lie low for a few months. There's wild stuff flying around on places that aren't moderated like boards.

If you had any experience with the people who care for and ride these animals, you'd know a lot better than to say that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,951 ✭✭✭✭anewme

I am tough though, it’s called reality, you should try living in it, anyways enough crap about a dead horse there are far more important things going on in the world that need attention and action. This is just ridiculous so I’ll leave the ridiculous people to it

Total lack of emotional intelligence demonstrated in this post.

It's about the lack of respect shown to an animal entrusted into their care.

When you have the so called people who love horses behaving like this, what message does it send to those who already see horses as toys to be abandoned out the back of some housing estate in winter.

Equine welfare is really poor in this Country.

He should be made give a donation to a Charity like My Lovely Horse Rescue. Now, there are some tough brave people. Not ones who proclaim themselves to be on the internet.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

I'm a horse racing fan, and this photo has really hurt the industry, you can't deny that.
    It was imbecilic at best, and he better hope people just think of him as a fool because no one in their right mind, from this industry would do such a stupid thing. His excuse was even worse and he's brought shame on this country i hope he loses his licence, which he should.

• Advertisement

Cheveley Park Stud have removed their horses from Elliot's yard. Some big names in there. Been sent to other trainers.

Hopefully the move is permanent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Orebro

Not a horse racing fan, couldn't care less about it tbh.

But stuff like this is far, far worse - where is the uproar about it? This is pure horse abuse & happens regularly:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Orebro wrote: »

But stuff like this is far, far worse - where is the uproar about it? This is pure horse abuse & happens regularly:

There's always uproar over that.

Fann Linn wrote: »
    There's always uproar over that.

Not like the current media storm there isn't!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 119 ✭✭Shelby Foote

You expect a bit more out of a leading horse trainer than lads reared up to that with no education. You've summed it up nicely putting Elliott in with those boys!

Not like the current media storm there isn't!

When nothing is ever done about it the shouting dies down. That's a sad reality.

Sure weren't they given permission to abuse animals by giving them some special status other than unemployed, high crime rate drains on society..

Trying to divert the conversation here is a tad childish.

What Elliot did has caused damage to the sport and his own reputation, more stupidity than malice.

None the less given his profile stupidity has a high price he can now pay, I'm sure his bank account will still be pretty healthy even if his business is left in tatters. He can cry into the wads of cash.

Sure in a year he will be back again. Most of this forgotten.

When nothing is ever done about it the shouting dies down. That's a sad reality.

Sure weren't they given permission to abuse animals by giving them some special status other than unemployed, high crime rate drains on society..

Trying to divert the conversation here is a tad childish.

What Elliot did has caused damage to the sport and his own reputation, more stupidity than malice.

None the less given his profile stupidity has a high price he can now pay, I'm sure his bank account will still be pretty healthy even if his business is left in tatters. He can cry into the wads of cash.

Sure in a year he will be back again. Most of this forgotten.

Like I said, I don't care about horse racing, it's not even a sport in my book. Running a bunch of animals around a circuit while holding a lovely girls competition on the sidelines isn't sport, but whatever you're into I guess!

Yesterday was the first time I've even heard of this man. My point is that I find it funny that there is such a media storm about some fat man sitting on a dead race horse when there are such wider issues with animal abuse.

I agree he'll be back in business this time next year and all will be forgotten, just the way the world works.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,032 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

• Registered Users Posts: 3,197 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

He looks like a thundering gobshyte in both pictures.

You are letting him off the hook pretty lightly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Bluwave

The problem here is money.

Horse racing gets massive handouts from the government of tax payers money the majority of whom have no interest in racing and can see the cruelty in it, even though we are told it’s a major employer and that the sports custodians look after these animals better than people are cared for.

The veil has slipped this week on their second argument.

Advertisement