Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gordon Elliott photograph

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,340 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Lads if any of you have ever sat on a dead horse, now is the time to get it out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 52,012 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Lads if any of you have ever sat on a dead horse, now is the time to get it out there.

I think I backed a few.

• Registered Users Posts: 52,012 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Orebro wrote: »
    Not a horse racing fan, couldn't care less about it tbh.

But stuff like this is far, far worse - where is the uproar about it? This is pure horse abuse & happens regularly:

Yes indeed that is worse but it’s more whataboutery and not the subject of this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,417 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Fair few posters have flogged a dead horse here...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Mimon

The outrage from mommy and daddy snowflakes who have no problem buying their designer fur baby from a puppy farm but discard it when it no longer suits their lifestyle.

Whataboutery galore might be a better username :pac:. Ridiculous argument.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭dickdasr1234

Bluwave wrote: »
    The problem here is money.

Horse racing gets massive handouts from the government of tax payers money the majority of whom have no interest in racing and can see the cruelty in it, even though we are told it’s a major employer and that the sports custodians look after these animals better than people are cared for.

The veil has slipped this week on their second argument.

Your comment is an unfair slight on those who look after these animals.

A trainer is a manager, agent, logistician. I think you will find that many managers across all fields necessarily lose a little humanity as their focus veers toward problem-solving which may involve unpalatable choices.

I have worked in the industry and it is generally staffed with tough, hardy people but you would rarely come across an individual who did not respect the animals he is working with.

Working with racehorses is a life like no other, offering the ultimate in highs and lows, thrills and spills. It is poorly paid and dangerous. Callous people don't operate under such conditions. It is a labour, largely, of love.

For many who experience emotional trauma as an occupational hazard, a dark humour can develop as a coping mechanism.

I cannot see how a man sitting on the carcass of a horse translates into the habitual abuse of live animals.

Elliott could not possibly be as successful as he is if the animals in his stable were being abused. It just couldn't happen.

I think of the gratuitous abuse of humans around the world and scratch my head at the furore over this 'man-sits-on-dead-horse' non-event.

I have watched people refuse to wear a face-mask and abuse others when requested to so do. Now that, my friends, is f***ing outrageous!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Orebro

How much public money goes into supporting horse racing? This bit is news to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

I'm most definitely not a horse racing person, but I'm finding this all a bit bizarre. The guy's actions seem unprofessional and childish, but still the reaction seems to be a bit of a storm in a teacup! I fail to see what the harm done here was (other than making the trainer look like a bit of an idiot). Or why this suggests he's in any way incapable of looking after horses.

The horse racing industry has bigger issues to deal with than this. Such as what happens to horses that don't make it on the track, or what they do with them once they have outlived their usefulness/get injured.

Same here. I found myself looking for the shotgun in the photo thinking he must have shot the horse or something of that nature. I was led to believe that the horse had a heart attack.

I am sure this has probably already been mentioned but how many lads getting all hot and bothered about this will tuck into a steak later on. No problem there. They are animals. No different to pigs, cows, sheep etc etc.

He posed on a dead horse. Ok bad optics and at worst he looks like a right clown but how in God's name has that damaged the industry.

I have zero interest in horses or the horse industry generally but I am certainly not offended or look at the horsey set any differently. Total indifference remains.

Horse trainer and riding is about breeding and racing animals for fun and sport. Dress it up all you want with money but that is what it boils down to- sport.

Humans having fun and entertainment at the animal's expense. Nice.

How much public money goes into supporting horse racing? This bit is news to me!
    Then there are probably a lot more things you need to know about the industry before the answer to that question becomes relevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,032 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

€76.8 million in 2021 (as per the Budget last October)

https://www.rte.ie/sport/racing/2020/1014/1171490-minster-defends-12m-increase-to-racing-funding/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,553 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Too much tbh. That money should be funnelled into underage team sports instead.

The gambling industry could easily fund the Horse Racing.

• Registered Users Posts: 56,297 ✭✭✭✭walshb

This cancel culture world is crazy.....

This is still getting mileage...people are weird

Are people really looking to hang Elliot for this "crime?" A split second decision he made years ago....?

He sat atop a dead horse............

How far do people want to bring this?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,340 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

walshb wrote: »

Are people really looking to hang Elliot for this "crime?" A split second decision he made years ago....?

You say that but it's the horse racing industry and horse racing people that are hammering him.

There's very little outcry outside of those circles.

Do please go on ...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

He should have been down on his hands and knees giving mouth to mouth and administrating CPR...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,703 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Don’t let the cancel culture win here. Fine Gordon and move on

• Registered Users Posts: 56,297 ✭✭✭✭walshb

You say that but it's the horse racing industry and horse racing people that are hammering him.

I never said what sections of society are hammering him

I simply said people....

• Registered Users Posts: 18,602 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Not a horse racing fan, couldn't care less about it tbh.

But stuff like this is far, far worse - where is the uproar about it? This is pure horse abuse & happens regularly:

Plenty uproar about it tbf - just not enough arrests.

I'd say the Elliot photo is a lot different. This is an "industry" that is trying to save itself by saying it cares so much for the animals......

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭SheepsClothing

Can't even take a phone call, sat on top of a dead horse anymore without people wanting to hang you. This political correctness has gone mad.

BattleCorp wrote: »
    The moral of the story here is

Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned.

Keep it in your trousers next time Mr E.

Is that why the photo was circulated?
    Is there a scandal?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

pottokblue wrote: »
    All involved (apart from whistleblower) in these old pics and clips are a showerful of zoophilic, necrophilic pr**ks and need to stay away from coke and other mindaltering substances

I think you need to get your dictionary out

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

The horse racing industry are distancing themselves for a reason, there's likely more to come. And there's enough rumours floating about along with the serious allegations posted online by an ex employee yesterday.

Cheveley Park Stud yesterday - we'll await the outcome of the investigation
    Cheveley Park Stud today - horses pulled from his stables

No new information in the public, no investigation but a 180 flip in a few hours as they've likely gotten wind of more to come

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Is there a scandal?

If twitter and other social media is to be believed, he's in a spot of bother alright.

Yes because they want the spotlight to move away from them, it's virtue signalling at it's purest, I criticize you therefore I am in the right

• Registered Users Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Is there a scandal?

I'm being careful because of defamation laws but apparently somebody put their bold thing into someone they shouldn't have and the person that the bold thing normally goes into got jealous, following a big drinking session with lots of people in a shebeen in breach of covid regulations........... if reports are to be believed.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,951 ✭✭✭✭anewme

BattleCorp wrote: »
    The moral of the story here is

Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned.

Keep it in your trousers next time Mr E.

And as if by magic, the good old misogyny rears its head on Boards.

Sure it would have to be a "scorned woman" to blame somewhere. People here have read too many salacious tattle magazines and have disregarded facts in favour of "it was the bad women dunnit".

Instead of trying to blame others for this guys nasty behaviour, maybe blame should be laid at the door of this same individual who disrespected all of the privileges afforded to him by way of his job. He is responsible for this, not anyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

anewme wrote: »

Sure it would have to be a "scorned woman" to blame somewhere. People here have read too many salacious tattle magazines and have disregarded facts in favour of "it was the bad women dunnit".

Instead of trying to blame others for this guys nasty behaviour, maybe blame should be laid at the door of this same individual who disrespected all of the privileges afforded to him by way of his job. He is responsible for this, not anyone else.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I think you need to pull back in your horns there. Who is blaming a woman anywhere for wrongdoing? I certainly am not blaming a woman.

Sure it would have to be a "scorned woman" to blame somewhere. People here have read too many salacious tattle magazines and have disregarded facts in favour of "it was the bad women dunnit.

You are the worst kind of person

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

Rumour has it that it's an ex posted the photo due to other far worse behaviour against said ex.

Hell hath no fury like a woman's scorn generally means don't annoy a woman or she'll make you pay.

Don't see how this is misogynistic or that the woman is wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Ruby Walsh certainly isnt too impressed with Elliot
    Speaking on RTE, Walsh said: 'A picture paints a thousand words, but I think that picture only painted one - and that's 'indefensible.'

'When I looked at it, I felt angry, I felt embarrassed for my sport and I felt very sad.

'I was always taught that the duty of care to the animal is as much when it is dead as it is when it is alive - that is the way I was taught to conduct myself, and it's the way I assumed most people within my sport would conduct themselves.'

So I guess in some posters minds we can add Ruby Walsh to the list of 'snowflakes' who are pissed off about this.

The whataboutery and deflection on this thread is a sight to behold. All while it is the horse industry themselves who are heavily condemming what Elliot did. But I suppose they're all snowflakes too :rolleyes:

Advertisement