Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2021 Irish EV sales

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

It has it's own dedicated charging network, so should sell quite well for a long time to come.

All these new twin unit (150kW +50kW) eCars 'hubs' have 2 CCS & 2 CHAdeMO plugs, and a combination of 3 cars can charge simultaneously (2 CCS & 1 CHAdeMO or 2 CHAdeMO & 1 CCS), thus making the Leaf a very worthy prospect for the driver that doesn't like to queue up to charge.

Theres probably around 7,000 Leaf's on the road compared to about 20,000+ CCS cars, yet the eCars network is a 50/50 split between CCS/CHAdeMO with the exception of 1 site. So chances are CCS cars are queuing up a lot longer than CHAdeMO cars to fast charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,937 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

They are giving 0% interest. They offer "subscribe and drive" PCP with no money down. They are literally trying everything to discount to get them sold before the CCS equipped Ariya arrives

Thats why they are selling well.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,963 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Tesla sales low, out of quarter close but also they're only selling one model at the minute, just the model 3. I'd say there's plenty of folk waiting in the wings for the Y

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭MarkN

Brand awareness.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,326 ✭✭✭sk8board

There have been just under 1,600 M3’s sold to date in Ireland (24 months), and it’s starting to wane a lot recently (160 in past 4 months) - it’s hard to see the more expensive Y having as much of an impact as the 3, considering:

• M3 had a big head start on the competition and had a long line of deposit holders going back to March ‘16. there’s nowhere near as many Y deposit holders
    • the market in the Y price range is reasonably wide now, with plenty alternatives.
    • the range anxiety of buyers is waning as friends buy cars with 400km range and realise that it’s plenty 99% of the time. Buying the car with the biggest range isn’t as important anymore

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭innrain

The figures for November are in. EVs account for 17.24% market share with 195 units sold.

Nissan slipped to 10th place sharing with Jag while MG is going on the podium.

Overall this year there are 8,533 new reg EVs with VW accounting for 2695 units. As market share EVs represent 8.16% this year compared to 4.48% for the same period in 2020. I pretty much expect 20% next year.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

1 in 3 cars sold this year is an EV (including hybrids and plug ins as per the 2030 ban), versus 1 in 5 last year. The sales ban on non electrified vehicles by 2030 seems very achievable at this rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,035 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

So VW made up 32% of EV sales this year? Considering the delays people have had waiting on ID3 and ID4 there must have been scope to increase that percentage even higher, maybe to 40%?

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Interesting to see Dublin and it's surrounding counties (the commuter counties) with decent EV numbers.

A few counties with big % increases vs last year too.

Country average there have been 117% more EVs sold this year, vs last. The big uptakers have been:

200% more in Carlow

190% more in Sligo

179% more in Clare

177% more in Cavan

175% more in Louth

170% more in Laois.

EVs weren't the answer for a few though:

Only 25% more EVs in Longford this year

Curious what the ratio of EVs to county population is...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,937 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

It may happen organically once they dont remove any of the few remaining incentives.

I don't like the idea of phev/hev being included btw as they are not EVs but I understand that's the way the target was worded.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I do agree with you, but I think it's important to track given the context of all the negative press claiming the 2030 end of sales is unachievable. I think 2035 was the planned end of hybrid sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

I pop into this thread every now an again.

Stats like this are fantastic!

I think so. The ID3/ID4 proposition from VW is quite appealing for someone looking into T-ROC/T-CROSS or even maybe a Tiguan. The fuel price increase would convert more and more.

“Curious what the ratio of EVs to county population is”

So was I. I quickly counted the new registrations on beepbeep since 2012 and it’s almost exactly 20,000 - with a national fleet of 2.5m non-commercial vehicles.

allowing for another 5k imported EVs (complete guess), that’s 1% of the national fleet is now full EV.

5k might be a bit high, but something near that. Stats are on beep beep too. 3-4k id say

the sale of EVs is obviously directly linked to moving the national fleet over, but the 1% figure really puts the progress into perspective.

With the 2030 targets in mind, even reaching 50% share of new sales in the coming years, would barely get us past 5% of national fleet by 2030.

this is why people are so skeptical of the gov’s 2030 target

Sure we buy 100k new cars in Ireland a year. So if we bought all electric from now until 2030, zero diesel, zero petrol, we'd miss the 1m electric cars by 2030 mark.

I'm guessing the "electric" means anything with a socket on it, but even at that we'd be way off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

Maybe in 2030 the government will claim the 1 million includes ebikes and escooters 🙂

I'm guessing the "electric" means anything with a socket on it, but even at that we'd be way off.

If only it was this ambitious, a 2004 Prius counts as far as overlords are concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,456 ✭✭✭✭fits

1 million fewer ice vehicles would be a better target. But probably still difficult to reach.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭denismc

My 10 year old Skoda has a battery and a 12V socket for charging my phone, therefore it's self-charging and electric.🤣

Nice try, but it needs to be part of system providing motive power, not just the starter motor. The definition used by our government is naff, but it's not quite that naff.

The population is in 1000s so I read the graph for example in Waterford are 3 EVs for 1000 people.

The population data is from CSO 2016 census. Plotted using excel. Raw data in attach. Someone with more skill to plot for each year and make a timeline animation. That would be cool

• Registered Users Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Interesting to compare that map against the installed HPC locations

For example here's ABRP showing HPCs only (sorry for the badly cropped image, I had to zoom in to get all the HPCs to display)

One can almost start to say there's a good correlation between decent charging resources and EV sales

For example, Carrick-on-Shannon is the only HPC in the Northwest, which also has the lowest EV ownership

You'd hope that someone is looking at this and thinking that maybe more chargers should be installed in these areas to encourage EV uptake

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,963 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Look at the best in class Norway, even with their mega achievements in EV pick up and incentives, right now just 15% of vehicles on Norway roads are EVs.

It takes a long time to weed out existing population of ICE vehicles.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

Well that's depressing. So the highest percentage of EV ownership in Ireland is in Dublin, at 0.6% of Dubs owning an EV (not Dublin drivers, but population of Dublin, so it'd never be anything near 100%)

The stats for cars without combustion is 8.4% of sales vs 4.4% last year.. Less than one in 10. Even the most optimistic don't count hybrid as electric.

By the time the greens reaches battery car targets there will be figured out a new technology.

• Advertisement

It's because short drives and affluence (and a bit of smug 😉).

Advertisement