Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2021 Irish EV sales

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭innrain

Nissan has a modest increase in sales when others like Kia went steady up. Hyundai is actually the only looser due to the expensive Kona dropping 30% vs 2020 which was already 50% less than 2019. Ioniq5 came too late and maybe too expensive to save face. MG is the big mover with 370 cars sold last year from 20 in 2020. They will probably sell more than Nissan this year. Hopefully they will be able to keep up. Credit to VW which sold more than places 2, 3 and 4 together. Tesla modest but on the podium by selling just one model which is fairly expensive /> 50k . I'm surprised with Volvo but maybe Polestar will turn around this year.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Tesla holding themselves back with no S, X or Y availability, GigaBerlin should address and also the updated MIC 3 will be a biggie

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 44 MuttonDagger

Is this not only slightly true because you cant use both CCS & chadamo at the same time anyway ?

So it doesn't matter you're waiting either way?

you can use both on the high power units

• Moderators Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

The Enyaq, though, will go on sale here, starting in April 2021. Skoda Ireland expects that it will be given 270 Enyaqs to sell next year as production gears up, and pretty much all of those are already booked.

236 sold.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,436 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Indeed and when you drive up in your Leaf and there is a pleb in a Taycan or Etron using the CCS, just plug your CHAdeMO in and they will of course get disconnected immediately and your Leaf will start charging. Plebs can wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭Casati

Really positive to see such a big increase in EV sales, Ive no doubt they can double again this year with all the new EV's coming and the supply issues with diesels and petrols continuing

Unfortunately there are more supply issues with EVs than with diesels / petrols

• Registered Users Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭Casati

Not what my recent dealer trips were telling me - e.g. if you want a new Tiguan he was saying order now and it 'might' come in October and a lot of dealers can't order certain diesels, e.g. Seat dealer told me he can't order a Tarraco for delivery at any time. Same story with Volvo dealer - who said he could order the PHEV's but not the mild hybrid diesels. Both VW/ Seat dealers said that EV's are coming though much faster. I've a mate waiting 9 months for a factory 5008 and it still isn't here- their EV's are delayed too but not as long. Toyota diesel's - i.e. Landcruiser are 12month+ wait now.

Seems to be no issue with the likes of EV6 before Christmas and a relatively short wait if you want an Earth, and Tesla is a 3 month wait. Hyundai Ioniq 5's seem to be in plenty supply too. VW have got production up with ID3's and ID4's so wait times should be 3 to 6 months I'm hearing. Nissan seem to have stock Leaf's.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Nissan are literally giving away leaf stock at this point. You can rock up and get one with no money down "subscribe and drive", or pay a 10% deposit and get 0% interest.

Clearing ship before the Ariya obliterates the leaf. They can't have both on sale at the same time without drastically discounting the leaf. Same as the switch from L30 to L40.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭mrm

Why could they not sell both simultaneously without discounting the leaf with the significant difference in both car prices, they are not really competing for the same audience? Or will the leaf be so out of date comparatively come April release date for the Ariya?

Current Leaf 40/62 is destroyed with much better EV competition IMHO, the Leaf has ran it course.

A great car, I owned one for 4 years but now done.

The ariya solves all of the problems with the leaf, liquid cooling, better range, AWD, CCS etc. It's a modern EV. The leaf is a 2011 car still with some updated consumer tech thrown in (like apple carplay, updated seats etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,509 ✭✭✭✭fits

My mother wants to go ev now. But she’d need home chargers installed both here and in the west in a property she visits regularly but doesn’t own. She wouldn’t be well up on tech or anything. Sign of the times.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭mrm

ELM327/ Slave1,

I am just starting to look at potential EV purchase(s), which will involve replacing the current 2no. ICE cars on the drive over the next 4 years. Want to go small for the first replacement. The leaf seems to be a good starting price but you both seem to be stating that it is out of date and is bettered elsewhere. But is this only with significantly costlier models up the range? Is the leaf now a 'poor' car to be considering in that class? What are the alternatives at that price range (and the 0% IR is a nice boon)?

Surely no need to install a chargepoint in the property in the west if she can granny charge there?

Yes I agree. Depending on size even something like a new Zoe or Mokka E etc could work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭thebourke

what is the cheapest ev car on the market now?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,205 ✭✭✭crisco10

Depends on what you need, but the MG5 LV would be a lot of car for the price.

• Advertisement

Yeah maybe she would get away with that. She’d drive a fair bit here and there

Messy to install a charge point in a home that you don't own. No subsidy either on a second point, so it would be expensive. If she overnights there whenever she goes, a granny charge might be enough to get her back?

Maybe we are going a bit off topic now but she’d stay there for weeks at a time. The house belongs to another family member who will probably install a charger there sooner or later anyway as I’d say he will get an ev himself before long.

public charging really wouldn’t be a goer for her. It’s too complicated at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,535 ✭✭✭✭ted1

cheap is not a good way to luck. Batteries are expensive, and batteries = range.

the question should be : what is the cheapest ev car on the market now, that’ll cover my needs of x Km?

MG likely the same answer...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

• Registered Users Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

MG are giving a free charge box. So you could buy and install one at home and get the €600 grant. I got mine in for just under 1k (so cost to me was 400).

Then install the free MG one in the home in the west. Might cost 300-400 for the installation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭cannco253

European sales of electric cars overtake diesel models for first time

"European carmakers also pushed sales of electric vehicles in December to reduce their fleet-wide carbon footprint and avoid fines from Brussels, after prioritising the production of the most profitable models — mainly heavily polluting SUVs — during the supply chain crisis.

As a result, 176,000 battery electric vehicles were sold in western Europe during that month (December 2021) — an all-time record — and more than 6 per cent higher than the number sold in December 2020. By comparison, nearly 160,000 diesels were sold in the last month of 2021."

• Registered Users Posts: 9,264 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Are you looking new or second hand? Second hand the cheapest EV is a 2012 nissan leaf being sold by Optimum Autos in Ennis for €5,250, that gets you the 24kWh battery that probably has about 80km in it at this stage

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/nissan-leaf/29849412

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,264 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

The leaf has 2 advantages to your situation. It is both cheaper than most other cars brand new and is one of just 2 cars (the other one being the smaller renault zoe) with any kind of a second hand market at all

Yes you only get 50kW instead of 100kW maximum DC charging over say an ID3 but aside from that you're getting better bang for your buck

Advertisement