Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BoI closures.

• 01-03-2021 11:45am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭

See BOI are closing branches
    Between this & UB it’s leaving allot of rural towns & villages without banks and ATMs

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Between this & UB it’s leaving allot of rural towns & villages without banks and ATMs

i think the bank workers do themselves no favours all the same. i was in Aib last year and no matter what i was doing they wanted me to either log on and do it online or use an automated phone service. My father finds them a massive hassle nowadays as he isnt overly computer savvy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Kevhog1988 wrote: »
    i think the bank workers do themselves no favours all the same. i was in Aib last year and no matter what i was doing they wanted me to either log on and do it online or use an automated phone service. My father finds them a massive hassle nowadays as he isnt overly computer savvy.

Totally agree on bank Staff
    Even getting loans you’re talking to someone over a phone in Dublin
    Issue for me is getting Cash
    Some shops don’t want the hassle of ATMs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,981 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Local branch closing. No surprise really. It's like going back 40 years going in there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,292 ✭✭✭Grueller

Thats not the staffs fault. That is company policy that they are pushed into enacting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Clean out by BOI of whole swathes in Co. Cork.
    Bantry
    Cobh
    Dunmanway
    Kanturk
    Millstreet
    Michelstown
    Youghal

• Advertisement

Grueller wrote: »
    Thats not the staffs fault. That is company policy that they are pushed into enacting.

Don't necessarily agree with you there. My father finds it very frustrating going to the bank. Its up to a person in a customer facing role to assist the customer not tell them to go to a phone and do something over an automated system.

BOI are changing their online banking security ATM just to feck things up altogether in the middle of Covid. Seems my phone isn't a new enough model to support it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,228 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Local branch in Arva has had one of those ATM/Lodgement machines for 3 or4 years now.
    They really didn't want you going inside at all.
    Opening hours now 10am to 1pm.
    Which is fairly useless if you have any kind of job at all.
    No surprise it's one of the branches to be closed.

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Local branch in Arva has had one of those ATM/Lodgement machines for 3 or4 years now.
    They really didn't want you going inside at all.
    Opening hours now 10am to 1pm.
    Which is fairly useless if you have any kind of job at all.
    No surprise it's one of the branches to be closed.
    Will the ATM go?

Will the ATM go?

Dunno.
    The Ulster Bank closed and they had the ATM removed within the week.
    Building was sold and now the Credit Union are based there, having purchased it.

• Advertisement

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Dunno.
    The Ulster Bank closed and they had the ATM removed within the week.
    Building was sold and now the Credit Union are based there, having purchased it.

Only for BOI opening the ATM at that time there wouldn’t be another in that area
    Then you see take-away’s showing cash only

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,038 ✭✭✭straight

Ulster bank could be bought by KBC or avant or someone else yet. Could be a blessing in disguise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

I think they've done a deal with An Post for lodgements etc

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Good bit about this in chit chat so I'm putting all the relevant posts in one thread. Looks like rural areas will be hit hardest again.

Edit full list here https://www.thejournal.ie/bank-of-ireland-branch-closures-5368510-Mar2021/

I'm surprised at them closing the UL branch TBH, That's usually the age a lot of ppl open an account. I think Ulster moved on to campus in BoI's old UL premises and paid handsomely for the lease. I think it was 5m a year at the time

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 476 ✭✭jntsnk

ATMs are next on the list. Privatisation and eventually higher fees for using them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭PoorFarmer

Water John wrote: »
    Bantry
    Cobh
    Dunmanway
    Kanturk
    Millstreet
    Michelstown
    Youghal

Milstreet and Kanturk would be serving alot of North Cork and when you take into account Abbeyfeale in Limerick and Castleisland in Kerry there is a massive hole for BoI from Mallow to Killarney and Tralee.
    Had to go in a few weeks back for a draft and I didnt even have a table to fill in the forms. Gave me a clipboard to write on. Cant blame the staff because they are only enacting company policy knowing that it is going to cost them their jobs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Ballincollig may as well close as well the way it is.
    You'd say something if their online system was any good but it's a pia at times. Need an the phone app to log on with a laptop, older people may not have or want apps, yet one device suffices if you are to use the ****e app

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Chuckie_Egg

jntsnk wrote: »
    ATMs are next on the list. Privatisation and eventually higher fees for using them

Bank of Ireland sold off it's ATM network last year, so no guarantee of the atms.
    Cash is old hat nowadays, everyone is tapping the card or there phone (or if they are really tech savy there watch)
    Its not just banks, its shops too, they prefer the tap than the cash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 531 ✭✭✭yrreg0850

My local branch ceased counter service approx.. 3 years ago . After appeals from local groups they agreed to open counter service one morning per week on a trial basis.
    In spite of it being very busy on these mornings, they ended the trial after two months.

Cleared the counter and installed machines which the elderly could not use.

The branch ,quite a large suburban remained open with approx . 4/5 staff.
    During the first and second lockdown it closed.

It is now closing permanently .

The banks reason
    lack of footfall !!!!!

It would seem that the bank intended closing 3 years ago and engineered it.

Ulster Bank closed in killeshandra about 6 or 7 years ago ( after spending a quarter million re-roofing it) the word on the grapevine at the time was that they had been discovered to have been overcharging Lakeland dairies going back years.
    Anyway, Lakeland moved their business to B of I and the Ulster Bank branch closed.
    Nearest UB branch was Arva, 8 miles away.
    They closed it a few years later, having a "travelling bank" lorry come once a week.
    A travelling bank that carried no cash.... and which was driven by a most ignorant man...
    The bank having closed the actual building, painted a red box on the roadway in front of the building, and woe betide the person who dared to park in it on the day the lorry arrived.
    He'd stop, blocking the street and go looking for the car owner, demanding it be moved, even if there was space either side..
    So that left B of I in the town, which is now closing, and surprisingly, B of I are closing Granard as well. Another busy branch ( I would have thought).

• Advertisement

Bank of Ireland sold off it's ATM network last year, so no guarantee of the atms.
    Cash is old hat nowadays, everyone is tapping the card or there phone (or if they are really tech savy there watch)
    Its not just banks, its shops too, they prefer the tap than the cash.

Allot of places want cash only around this way

Allot of places want cash only around this way

Most takeaways around here are cash only. I rarely carry cash so drive by 3 takeaways to get to the one that takes the card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Same with PTSB, went in to lodge a cheque, 4 of them behind counter, one passed me off to the other one until i got to the last teller behind the counter and she said we don;t do that here, you'll have to use the phone or the atm!

I'll miss Ulster bank when they go, i'm with them 20 odd years and i've found them extremely good in everything they do, cheques, loans, banking advice, branches in most towns, excellent customer service, shame really, i'm not looking forward to going to either BOI or AIB, PTSB are a pain to deal with and their nearest branch is miles out of my way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,395 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

I'm half thinking of changing the farm account from BOI to revolut, will be fair easier too keep track of everything fully online with revolut. Anyone else use revolut as their main farm account?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭kerry cow

watch AIB follow same

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭longgonesilver

Timmaay wrote: »
    I'm half thinking of changing the farm account from BOI to revolut, will be fair easier too keep track of everything fully online with revolut. Anyone else use revolut as their main farm account?

I think I saw something about them starting to introduce charges recently. Do you need a feeder account? Can you lodge cheques directly?

The Irish banks would want to be very careful, there is a generation growing up that will have no loyalty and with full online banking have a choice of international banks.

Timmaay wrote: »

use it for all my own stuff, i find it fierce handy altogether

use it for all my own stuff, i find it fierce handy altogether

Use it here, load & pay
    I’ve been warned not to leave much on your Revolut Account they’re not a bank & if anything should happen your money is not guaranteed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,075 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Templemore closing killer, next bank is 30 minutes away. This will kill the smaller towns

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 267 ✭✭coathanger

Don't necessarily agree with you there. My father finds it very frustrating going to the bank. Its up to a person in a customer facing role to assist the customer not tell them to go to a phone and do something over an automated system.

Used to work in a bank & it was indeed their policy to instruct staff to tell customers to use the atm outside the bank entrance !! Failure to do so
    Would result in an ear bashing!! Never followed that instruction, couldn’t believe elderly people were expected to use the atm, when they found it difficult to see & know how use it , never mind the risks involved , with people watching & rigging atms.

Use it here, load & pay
    I’ve been warned not to leave much on your Revolut Account they’re not a bank & if anything should happen your money is not guaranteed

i stick a hundred a week into mine for picking up bits and pieces etc. Find ti a better system than the aib online banking for sending money to ppl etc too. i can top up that from my aib and then fire the money to someone without needing the card reader etc

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,295 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Bantry
    Cobh
    Dunmanway
    Kanturk
    Millstreet
    Michelstown
    Youghal

Im amazed that that either skibb or clon didnt go.thats a big culland surprised at bantry.theres a big swath of country between bantry ballingeary and skibbereen that has hardly a retail business of any kind there

Starling Bank headed up the Anne Boden are due to start in Ireland this year. These fully online banks are what's coming and the bricks and mortar ones fear them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 finjoe

Its more than 10 years ago now I laoded up my then 2 small children to go into a bank or Ireland branch in a midlands town, as I unstrapped the children, I looked up to see the staff all coming out and pulling the door going on their lunch, as I put back my children, a young mother pulled up and was about to disembark when I told her the branch was just shut for lunch. I returned then after the half hour or hour and 2 local publicans were at the door with their cash bags in order to get their coins/change. That was a long afternoon in that que. Not intentionally, but I never stood in that branch since, this day and age, even 10 years ago such a public service "shutting for lunch" was and is a thing of the past, and it is the same for some businesses I see too, closing 1-2 etc. that day is gone and that is the only time many have to get out and get their bits and bobs, Yes staff are entitled to lunch breaks, and like any other sustainable business you have to work around that...closing for lunch is the last lap and so outdated now. I see a co-op in a large Midlands town closes fully on a Wednesday but opens on a Saturday, I see a few hardwares around where I live close at dinner time of a Saturday???..ok, we dont expect to stay open to 6pm but 5pm would be reasonable...they will say, no one will come in, its often afternoon on a Saturday before many people are ready to do small and big jobs around, and if your working all week Saturday morning these jobs are sized up and got ready, go for the timber or bolts then around dinner time and the place is closed..who manages these places one wonders..is it suiting the manager personally as opposed to the business i often wondered...they will tell the owner "oh only two people might come in here of a Saturday afternoon" etc...I seen the BOI closures coming years ago...the older staff still kind of have the " I work in the Bank" air about them, and heaven and hell wont change them...the younger staff are more ordinary in fairness..anywhere now, bank or business, with rare exceptions, closing for lunch can be expecting to pull the door after them fully, sooner rather than later...life isnt like that anymore...

finjoe wrote: »
    Its more than 10 years ago now I laoded up my then 2 small children to go into a bank or Ireland branch in a midlands town, as I unstrapped the children, I looked up to see the staff all coming out and pulling the door going on their lunch, as I put back my children, a young mother pulled up and was about to disembark when I told her the branch was just shut for lunch. I returned then after the half hour or hour and 2 local publicans were at the door with their cash bags in order to get their coins/change. That was a long afternoon in that que. Not intentionally, but I never stood in that branch since, this day and age, even 10 years ago such a public service "shutting for lunch" was and is a thing of the past, and it is the same for some businesses I see too, closing 1-2 etc. that day is gone and that is the only time many have to get out and get their bits and bobs, Yes staff are entitled to lunch breaks, and like any other sustainable business you have to work around that...closing for lunch is the last lap and so outdated now. I see a co-op in a large Midlands town closes fully on a Wednesday but opens on a Saturday, I see a few hardwares around where I live close at dinner time of a Saturday???..ok, we dont expect to stay open to 6pm but 5pm would be reasonable...they will say, no one will come in, its often afternoon on a Saturday before many people are ready to do small and big jobs around, and if your working all week Saturday morning these jobs are sized up and got ready, go for the timber or bolts then around dinner time and the place is closed..who manages these places one wonders..is it suiting the manager personally as opposed to the business i often wondered...they will tell the owner "oh only two people might come in here of a Saturday afternoon" etc...I seen the BOI closures coming years ago...the older staff still kind of have the " I work in the Bank" air about them, and heaven and hell wont change them...the younger staff are more ordinary in fairness..anywhere now, bank or business, with rare exceptions, closing for lunch can be expecting to pull the door after them fully, sooner rather than later...life isnt like that anymore...

Completely agree, in the uk the banks open on a saturday. I would often tip in on a saturday to lodge cheques etc when living in manchester. i found it fierce handy

• Advertisement

Ah lads, it's a long time since banks shut for lunch.
    Really poor service now though in fairness. There are whole sections of the country now without banking. Then many years ago a former employer told me to never bank with a rural branch for a business. The best staff of the banks for business were in the larger centres.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭djmc

My wife uses revolut and I have been using N26 with the past few years. I also have google pay set up on the phone. I am very tempted to get some crypto cards and keep some small bit in crypto currency too as a hedge. It could become more widespread in the future. The thing is its not regulated like the banks but I dont know if that is a good or bad thing. there is more options than the local bank now if you embrace the tech. It is the older and less tech savey people id feel sorry for. A lot of people dont even have internet in their homes yet or have never used a smart phone or the internet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,253 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Ah lads, it's a long time since banks shut for lunch.
    Really poor service now though in fairness. There are whole sections of the country now without banking. Then many years ago a former employer told me to never bank with a rural branch for a business. The best staff of the banks for business were in the larger centres.

The local aib is shut from 12.30 to 1. 30 open from 10 to 4.

Advertisement