Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phormium, New Zealand flax planting

Options
  • 01-03-2021 8:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Today I dug up and divided a phormium which was getting too large for its space.

I divided it onto 14 viable clumps and trimmed these into little fans. I have a large rural garden and have a rough sloping area at the end of our site which is just weeds and grass. I was thinking of planting up this slope with the phormiums. They could grow away there and get as big as they want, but I'm worried if they'll aver need maintenance or dividing again. Am I creating a potentially huge task for myself in years to come?

What happens when you just leave them? Do they start to die out in the centre or anything? I'd hope to just leave them for good. I broke a spade digging this out today!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭lottpaul

They don't need any maintenance but as they grow some tend to push out side shoots which can topple over and look a bit untidy but are easily pulled off and then can be replanted, but that's purely optional. Most don't die away in the centre either and you can just ignore them.
    If you're happy enough to have the area covered with one species, all the same colour it's a good plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,715 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

You can plant even the bits that look unviable many will grow. Provided you have a bit of the stem they nearly always root again. Just cut the tops back a bit harder.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Fern Bench

Great, thanks!

Advertisement