Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Activ8 health.

• 02-03-2021 12:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 21

I have been trying to contact Activ8 (Monaghan) for about a week now, without success with a view to extending my (Activ8) system. I fear they might have succumbed to the new Chinese Lurgy.
    Does anybody have any information as to the health of Activ8?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64,684 ✭✭✭✭unkel

When did you sign up with them, what system did you get and how much did it cost you (net of subsidy)?

[snip] I would try and get at least a few other quotes from other installers for the same work.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 beepers

Activ8 are live.
    My system consists of 12 roof mounted Q.Peak Duo Blk-G5 335 panels, a Solis RHI-3.6K-48ES inverter, a BYD Battery-Box LVS 3.8 (3.84KWh).
    I am looking to mount Solar Panels on the South facing wall and increase the Battery Capacity to 7.68 KWh.
    I will be looking to see what other installers have to offer.

My last post was edited by the moderators, but my question was left intact, any reason you didn't answer it? How much did the system cost you?

Ref "unkel".
    I did not state the cost as theirs was the only plan that involved a NEW cable between the main building and the outbuilding in which the system was to be installed. Others suggested using an existing power feed from the main building which in my opinion was poor practice. One company even wanted to install the panels on the main building where they would only work in the morning and there was no suitable place to install the inverter and battery. Yes Activ8 were the most expensive but the only system I was happy with.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

so how much ?

• Advertisement

so how much ?
    As previously stated this was a much more complicated project than normal hence the larger than normal costs of 15 K Euros. Other quotes were much less but in my opinion they were for for a much inferior job.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Activ8 installed my PV setup. 10 panels on south facing roof giving 3.1Kw max with EDDI inverter. Regular Semi D house. Didn't bother with the battery as, at the time, I though it would be overkill.

Total cost was about €7.5k after grant. However, they were very pushy in the house. Considering we called them in and told them we wanted the system, they were very pushy. Still went through with the purchase but I made a point of telling him that he got us to sign a contract with a checkbox stating that they weren't being pushy [can't remember the exact words but it wasn't small print] even though they were. He just nodded and smiled. I was actually going to throw him out of the house but I wanted the panels.

Very strange. I've never signed a contract that had that specific clause in it before.

RangeR wrote: »
    Activ8 installed my PV setup. 10 panels on south facing roof giving 3.1Kw max with EDDI inverter. Regular Semi D house. Didn't bother with the battery as, at the time, I though it would be overkill.

Total cost was about €7.5k after grant.

That's insanely expensive. People here got a system twice that size WITH a large battery and diverter for thousands less.

unkel wrote: »
    That's insanely expensive. People here got a system twice that size WITH a large battery and diverter for thousands less.

:(

RangeR wrote: »
    :(

I know that's not what you want to hear, sorry for the bad news :(

They tried to push sell on to me too 5 years ago with abracedabra on how the system will pay for itself in no time but I'm a thick bastard so it didn't work, but they are slick operators. I feel it is our duty to try prevent others reading on here not to fall for it. Tricky to do that within the forum's charter though, one of my above posts got edited by the moderators.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭Deagol

beepers wrote: »
    Ref "unkel".
    I did not state the cost as theirs was the only plan that involved a NEW cable between the main building and the outbuilding in which the system was to be installed. Others suggested using an existing power feed from the main building which in my opinion was poor practice. One company even wanted to install the panels on the main building where they would only work in the morning and there was no suitable place to install the inverter and battery. Yes Activ8 were the most expensive but the only system I was happy with.

Why did you not want to use the existing cabling? Why would you want to run a secondary cable?

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭niallers1

Act8 wanted both my wife and myself present in order for them to hard sell to both of us. I told them to beep off.
    Alarm bells ringing everywhere.

reminded me of time share salesmen

• Registered Users Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭Treppen

unkel wrote: »

Sorry to drag this old thread up but could you point me in the direction of thread link or name of other companies by PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,436 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Treppen wrote: »
    Sorry to drag this old thread up but could you point me in the direction of thread link or name of other companies by PM.

Check out the solar quotes thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭Treppen

Check out the solar quotes thread.

Cheers I read as much as I could but nobody mentions companies. Is it implied that I PM... sorry just don't want to be pestering posters.

Treppen wrote: »
    Cheers I read as much as I could but nobody mentions companies. Is it implied that I PM... sorry just don't want to be pestering posters.

Have a goo at the forum charter. We are not allowed mention company names.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

Holy shxt thats insane money.

I got 16 panels, 7kw battery and a water diverter for 8k. now that was 2 years ago tbf.

Advertisement