Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leak Query

• 02-03-2021 5:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭

Hi,

Appreciate any advice, have talked to my plumber, didn't seem too interested and suggested I get a guy with an infra-red camera as my next step?

Basically have closed oil central heating system.3 zones upstairs/downstairs/water.
    Have to top up the system regularly last few months with water as pressure falls close to zero from 1/1.5.

However if the heating isn't on it falls very slowly like over a week or so .
    If heating is for a while, it drops much quicker - like overnight..
    It doesn't seem to matter if heating is on upstairs or downstairs it causes the pressure to drop - This makes me think it could be losing pressure around the boiler somewhere ?
    Cant see any signs of water damage but it must be going somewhere. Appreciate any advice/thoughts - or recommendations based in Kerry

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,157 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

It could be losing pressure from a lot of places. The safety valve at the boiler, under the floor. Could even be the cylinder coil.

Had a leak in my own coil. Pressure would drop a bar in 15 minutes or so. Never dropped below 1/8 of a bar. This is what gave me a clue it was the coil. 1/8 of a bar was gravity pressure

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭framework123

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    It could be losing pressure from a lot of places. The safety valve at the boiler, under the floor. Could even be the cylinder coil.

Had a leak in my own coil. Pressure would drop a bar in 15 minutes or so. Never dropped below 1/8 of a bar. This is what gave me a clue it was the coil. 1/8 of a bar was gravity pressure

Thanks for that..can I ask is the boiler safety valve actually located in the boiler somewhere? Or is it near the expansion tank do you know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,157 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Thanks for that..can I ask is the boiler safety valve actually located in the boiler somewhere? Or is it near the expansion tank do you know

Usually in or around the boiler. Though mine is in the attic. Look on the other side of the wall that the boiler is on. You should see a pipe sticking out of the wall an inch or two. If the safety valve is faulty then this is where you'd expect to see water. I'd imagine the plumber looked at this already

Advertisement