Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Preparing for life after divorce

Options
  • 02-03-2021 8:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Does anyone know where to get help with preparing for life after divorce. I want to sell family home but soon to be ex doesnt want to.I work part time and hav 2 teenagers. I fear i will not be able to afford rent as he does not work so can not pay maintenance. Family home is on his farmily farm land, so i can not stay there...i dont kno where to start any advice welcome...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

If you have two teenagers living in the family home then it cannot be sold without his agreement until they are either 18 or until the youngest is finished college by 23. You'll need a solicitor if this is contentious. With only one part-time income between you then there isn't going to be any easy answers. Are you really sure you've reached the end of the marriage - e.g. counselling, mediation etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Xterminator

HI OP

the advice here is one part time income between 2 people isn't going to cover the costs of 2 households. there really is not anyway to make that work, without external income or supports. Don't leave the family house without a plan in place.

i assume that is why you want to sell the family home - to release equity. But selling the family home will not be easy if one party disputes. It would take time, effort and use of mediation or legal processes. Mediation is free, and should be the 1st port of call, given your fiances.

You should familiarise yourself with any state supports you may be entitled to, Working Family Payment, Medical Card, housing supports etc. Your local TD or councillor may be able to help with advice as they tend to know these areas very well indeed. if you can get council housing then the rent will be pegged to your level of income - and this should make it affordable. however the waiting lists can be an issue.

Finally even if he is not working you should consider getting a maintenance order from family court, so that if circumstances change you can get the order amended quickly. This money is not for you, its for the kids and they are entitled to be supported.

Advertisement