Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car crash

• 02-03-2021 8:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

I recently crashed my car into a large Tree on a main road at nite..The car is a right off . .I met with guards at the scene .They have cleared me of any blame how will this progress ?....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭hurikane

JonasBlane wrote: »
    I recently crashed my car into a large Tree on a main road at nite..The car is a right off . .I met with guards at the scene .They have cleared me of any blame how will this progress ?....

How is that possible? Did the tree fall on the car?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭ForestFire

hurikane wrote: »
    How is that possible? Did the tree fall on the car?

I presume OP means any blame related to anything illegal, like no insurance, no alcohol, nothing wrong with car, ntc, tyres etc., was not deemed to be speeding or involved in dangerous driving.....

.... And therefore it's classed as a simple accident.

Or you were right!!

the tree "almost" fall on the car?

(see next posts) :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 39 JonasBlane

I was travelling on the road.Came around a bend .Large tree was in the road straight across both lanes...Had nowhere else to go.I breaked slowed the car down.but still crashed into it.Impacketed with the tree at roughly 30 km

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Vestiapx

How much is the car worth?

Everthing on the car was legal.I got Breathalised at the scene ..No Excessive speed.Had full tax Nct.Insurance.Tyres on the car Were decent thread Dept

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Have you contacted your insurance company?

Who called the guards ? I assume you were alone in the car. I assume you won't be claiming on your insurance

Yes i have done that But i just want some advoice on how this will progress....

I had passengers they are both claiming...im Considering my options at the moment. .Im pretty banged up..

• Advertisement

Yes i have done that But i just want some advoice on how this will progress....

Well if you claim you will lose your no claims bonus unless it's prot cted. If you can show its someone's fault there was a tree in the road you could possibly claim off them. It's hard to tell really.

I contacted the guards.And waited at the scene for them

I had passengers they are both claiming...im Considering my options at the moment. .Im pretty banged up..

Oh, your passages will claim off you, they will get loads of money and your insurance will go up unless you can show it was someone's fault there was a tree in the road. Who tree is it?

And you can't claim for personal injury only for a new car if it was insured fully comp.

Who is responsible for the tree ?..Both my passengers are claiming off my insurance...

I contacted the guards.And waited at the scene for them

Yeah with passengers that's 100% what you should do.
    They will claim and they should claim. Don't fall out with them over it if it can be helped.

Honestly we are lucky to be alive.Its a genuine accident ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Who is responsible for the tree ?..Both my passengers are claiming off my insurance...

No one. You hit a stationary object on the road.

OSI wrote: »
    Nothing else will really happen from the Gards perspective. Your passengers, and possibly you, will lodge a claim with the insurance company and likely receive some form of compensation. You'll lose your No Claims Bonus and receive a loading on your insurance going forward for having a claim against you.

Can you claim personal Injury for the driver on some policy's, I did not know that.

No i dont think that will.happen.But just wanted to know what my options are..my passengers will claim off my insurance.how do i progress ?...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

The claim will go against you and as personal injury from both passengers it's going to be expensive.

You have no say, no input etc into whether they claim or not or amount, they will be paid off Asin most cases and if they really want to do well they will get a solicitor to work on their behalf.

Your no claims if any will be wiped unless protected and even with that premium will shoot up at renewal.

Most when renewal or new policy ask any claims in last 5 years.

Do you have fully comp? If yes you may also claim as it will make no difference as they'll be claiming anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,652 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Hi OP

We had a write off last year.
    Wife driving and at fault but that only slowed the last couple weeks down.

They will send an assessor to look at the car.
    Assessor will report back to insurance company.
    This took 2 weeks.
    They will not admit the car is a write off till this report states it.

If you agree and there are no other matters to settle they will issue you a check.
    They will take the car away and whatever money they receive for that is there's.
    Cheque took approx 6 weeks to reach us.

We got a final letter from insurer after 4 months with settlement details but last 3 weeks were agreeing with other party.

Wife's insurance premium increased by €600 but she got 3 points for incidence.

So say €300 or approx 50% of previous premium, she had step back.

What are my options if i had 3 rd party insurance ?

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Stihl waters

You don't get paid for your car and your passengers get paid for their injuries

Nothing.... You sick up cost of car yourself.

You have basic cover which covers any third party such as pedestrian, other vehicles, occupants of other vehicles, etc

Who do i say is responsible for the tree been in the road ?.Its not like anyone is goin to own up to ownin the tree

None really. Get a cheap car, find someone to sue for leaving their tree in the road. Don't fall out with your passengers when they claim off you.

Who do i say is responsible for the tree been in the road ?.Its not like anyone is goin to own up to ownin the tree

Is it public land? Private land?

Act of God sort of thing, weather etc can have all sorts of exemptions to policies

I met the assesser.Gave him my story of events no problems

It's got to be someone's tree, why was it able to fall in the road.

Read this

https://moloneysolicitors.ie/legal-liability-for-fallen-trees-continues-to-be-uncertain/

• Advertisement

Well the tree was on a main road ....who is responsible for keeping the roads safe ?.

Advertisement