Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Controversial! Honeymoon abroad this year??

Options
  • 03-03-2021 11:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 31

Hi All

I am getting married in mid August this year and we are going to go ahead no matter what the numbers are. We had initially decided to honeymoon in ireland afterwards and were happy with that idea, but now that we've started looking at booking it, alot of places are booked out and it's working out extremely expensive.

We've now started to think about going abroad (Spain/Greece/Portugal) and I'm wondering what other people's thoughts are on this. I will be vaccinated by then and we are both more than happy to do the 14 day quarantine when we get back.

Would love to hear what others are doing- what are your honeymoon plans? Are we mad to even think about booking something abroad this year?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭JPup

There's talk of an EU passport for people who have been vaccinated so chances are there will be no need to quarantine by that stage, but no-one can say for sure at this stage. So there is a small risk you might have to cancel.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Would you think of waiting a few months? I got married in August a few years ago but went on honeymoon at the end of January. It was something amazing to look forward to after the wedding, and it was the perfect cure for winter blues.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭gipi

There could be quarantine requirements at your destination, not just when you come home, you might have to factor that in too?
    Obviously the situation will change over the year as vaccination becomes widespread, just something to consider.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭madmac187

gipi wrote: »
    There could be quarantine requirements at your destination, not just when you come home, you might have to factor that in too?
    Obviously the situation will change over the year as vaccination becomes widespread, just something to consider.

**** that, €5000 fine a head still by then for NON ESSENTIAL travel!

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

We were getting married in Italy last year but it was obviously cancelled and the first half of this year looks to be a write off. So the wedding / honeymoon have been pushed out.

But like yourself we'll be looking at August... but we'll be doing the wedding and honeymoon in the same place, some exotic thing with just the two of us. I'm not causing people any hassles to travel just in case they are wary and the wedding attendance would be smaller.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

I can't think of anything I'd be less arsed with than going anywhere at the moment where I've to wear a mask around the place and who knows what other local restrictions to deal with. I can't wait for normal travel and holidays to resume, but whether or not I'm vaccinated I think going anywhere at the moment has zero appeal.
    I reckon by the end of this year this pandemic will be hopefully abating, vaccines will be mainstream and hopefully we can start to live again after that. I would be waiting and seeing OP - your honeymoon should be one of the most memorable holidays of your life, its one holiday you'll never get back.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Weddings can be stressful enough. Throw a viral pandemic into the mix! It’s still quite difficult to know how foreign travel will be by late summer and why bring that extra stress on yourself? You’ll surprised at how tired you’ll be in the days after the wedding.
    I would suggest organising a little “mini moon” - a few days away in Ireland to somewhere nice, a real treat to relax and unwind. Your honeymoon should be something you look forward to, not worrying about if it can go ahead or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Faith wrote: »
    Would you think of waiting a few months? I got married in August a few years ago but went on honeymoon at the end of January. It was something amazing to look forward to after the wedding, and it was the perfect cure for winter blues.

We were similar. Got married in the Oct and spent a week in the West which was just fantastic. It was a mix of tranquil and swish (the Ice House) to moving destination to do the Wild Atlantic way and stay in Westport, had to incorporate parkrun at some point :D

Went to NZ then the following Feb which was just brilliant to be able to count down too after Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,411 ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

I'd love if we could go abroad later in the year, but realistically I think it'll probably be a honeymoon in Ireland. Even if they do introduce a vaccine passport or the likes, I reckon there'll be so much bureaucracy and uncertainty that I'll just end up stressing about it too much in the run up to it.

Also I recently found out that where I work, if we travel abroad for non-essential reasons, we have to take annual leave or unpaid leave for the duration of restricted movements when we're back in Ireland... even though we work remotely!! So I would need that policy to be updated too.

I like the idea of spending our money in Ireland and contributing to jumpstarting the economy. That's what I'm telling myself anyway :rolleyes:

I know honeymoons are meant to be a once in a lifetime type of trip, but we've been really lucky to already have a few of those. So if we can have our actual wedding I'll be happy, nevermind the honeymoon!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

woodchuck wrote: »
    I'd love if we could go abroad later in the year, but realistically I think it'll probably be a honeymoon in Ireland. Even if they do introduce a vaccine passport or the likes, I reckon there'll be so much bureaucracy and uncertainty that I'll just end up stressing about it too much in the run up to it.

Also I recently found out that where I work, if we travel abroad for non-essential reasons, we have to take annual leave or unpaid leave for the duration of restricted movements when we're back in Ireland... even though we work remotely!! So I would need that policy to be updated too.

I like the idea of spending our money in Ireland and contributing to jumpstarting the economy. That's what I'm telling myself anyway :rolleyes:

I know honeymoons are meant to be a once in a lifetime type of trip, but we've been really lucky to already have a few of those. So if we can have our actual wedding I'll be happy, nevermind the honeymoon!

A dream honeymoon doesn't have to be abroad! We take it for granted but I've known people to come on their honeymoon to Ireland and loved every minute.

• Advertisement
Advertisement