Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hoping to do BSc in Computer Science as mature student but worried about internship

Options
  • 03-03-2021 11:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

Hi all,

I'm hoping to go to UCC as a mature student to study Computer Science either this year or next year. I intend on commuting an hour back and forth each day to do the course as I'm not in a position to move to Cork City at the moment.

However I'm a bit worried as to what I'm going to do in third year when you are expected to acquire an internship for at least 6 months. I've been told by the co-ordinator that there are a number of internship options in Cork City.
    But how am I to know of the probability of being able to get an internship in the City when the time comes?
    I'm just worried at the prospect of simply not being able to do the internship at all due to my personal circumstances.

I'm just wondering does anybody who did Computer Science in UCC have any advice on the matter and whether there's a good possibility of me getting an internship in the City?

Any helpful information would be much appreciated!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I've not done the course but I know quite a few that have. From my understanding there were quite a few of the various years that stayed in Cork.
    I'm sure it's definitely something they would factor in at that stage when the time comes.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭dgallagher_73

razorblunt wrote: »
    I've not done the course but I know quite a few that have. From my understanding there were quite a few of the various years that stayed in Cork.
    I'm sure it's definitely something they would factor in at that stage when the time comes.

Cheers for the reply.

I'll be travelling up to Cork every day or so for the course via Dublin Coach. It'll be about an hours journey back and forth(2 hours altogether). I can seem myself doing this for the duration of the course.

It's just that when it comes to doing the internship I have no idea what I'm going to do logistically speaking. I can't really afford to move to Cork and at the same time I don't know of a very cheap way of staying up there for a few nights during the week.

Would AirBnB be an option for a student in Cork City? I've know idea how to go about this....

Advertisement