Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Claims Bonus Protection

Options
  • 03-03-2021 1:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭

A scam or worth paying this every year on car insurance?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,982 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Cape Clear wrote: »
    A scam or worth paying this every year on car insurance?

Well worth it IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

It may not be worth it for everyone but it's not a scam.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

biko wrote: »
    It may not be worth it for everyone but it's not a scam.

According to my current motor policy a premium can still increase due to claims paid so I would question it's value tbh.

NCB protection means you keep your NCB years even if there is a claim.
    It doesn't mean premium won't increase due to claims.

Let's say you have 6 years NCB and someone makes a claim against you.
    With no protection you lose those 6 years, which means you start over from 0 again, which in turn means no discounts for NCB years.

There are also a tonne of caveats from the insurer to make sure that they never lose out so it's worth asking them about the small print before signing up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,982 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Cape Clear wrote: »
    According to my current motor policy a premium can still increase due to claims paid so I would question it's value tbh.

If you have a (significant) claim would you prefer an increased premium with or without a bonus?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

If you have a (significant) claim would you prefer an increased premium with or without a bonus?

Obviously with a discount but I'm asking is the value of having bonus protection simply erased by an increased premium following a claim.

The example in the below article would suggest it is.

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2015/jun/01/no-claims-discounts-drivers

It's probably a good idea for people with many years NCB.
    If it's worth it? Do the math and decide.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭beanhead

Cross-linking a good post here on this topic.

Did some checking into this as I had a smallish but expensive (€800 - rear bumper broken & lwr plastic crushed) prang against an out of sight low pillar. costed in painters with new replacement panels.

https://www.aviva.ie/blog/driving/ncd-explained/

However, it is important to know that the protection of your NCB is not transferable between insurers. If you have a fully protected NCD with your current insurer but have made a claim, a new insurer will only grant you the benefit of a NCD which represents the period of claims free driving in your own name as a policyholder since the last accident or claim of which you were at fault. The NCD is only protected by the insurer with whom you bought the protection from.

My take on this is that if you hit get hit with a massive premium increase & decide to switch instead & use your 'no claims bonus' doc & state no accidents this is providing false info. - so that's a no-go.

So I decided I'm probably better off eating the cost especially with a €300 excess. I pay €488 comprehensive annually on a 2017 Tucson with a named driver (wifey), I'm in my 50's (this is a rare benefit😂 )

if Liberty took it easy on my premium & only added €100, I would hit that within 5 years. If they loaded me €250 on premium I would be stuck & usable to switch with a full NCB. They simply don't say how you premium recovers I guess because it doesn't & your only way out is to switch.

Here's what I'm 'protecting'
    Point on no claims bonus scale: 9 or more years discount
    No claims discount applied: -66.00%
    No claims discount applied: --€592.92

I'm guessing if you claim your premium does not decrease, you are a risk due to behavior or age.

If I was in a big prang multiple €1000s it would be worthwhile using the bonus protection, or an accident with another car would likely be reported(always offer to pay repairs if little bump & no risk of personal injuries) & so definitely used.

Advertisement