Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lawn edging advice

Options
  • 03-03-2021 4:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,
    looking for some advice re garden lawn edging. Currently have some of those green plastic strips that you tap into the grass around flower beds etc. Bits of it has broken/sunk and looks untidy.

I've seen those strips of logs around some gardens, but I imagine if they are wood, that eventually they will rot plus how bendable are they. Do they ruin strimmers and do they make an uneven garden look even more uneven?

Was thinking man-made material (longer lasting?) and get higher ones to create some flowerbeds with topsoil. Now I'm not an expert gardener but I do think some of them look nice.

Would need around 20metres and due to the current situation would have to bought online so any suggestions as to where online they can be purchased would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for all replies

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Calculator123

Reg'stoy wrote: »
    Hi folks,
    looking for some advice re garden lawn edging. Currently have some of those green plastic strips that you tap into the grass around flower beds etc. Bits of it has broken/sunk and looks untidy.

I've seen those strips of logs around some gardens, but I imagine if they are wood, that eventually they will rot plus how bendable are they. Do they ruin strimmers and do they make an uneven garden look even more uneven?

Was thinking man-made material (longer lasting?) and get higher ones to create some flowerbeds with topsoil. Now I'm not an expert gardener but I do think some of them look nice.

Would need around 20metres and due to the current situation would have to bought online so any suggestions as to where online they can be purchased would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for all replies

That green plastic is very poor alright. And quite ugly. Lots of decorative stone or paving options. Much neater. Railway sleepers also an option. Easily gotten in good garden centres. I have black tumblers between my patio and grass. Lovely effect.
    Some ideas attached

• Registered Users Posts: 6,715 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

100% Calculator123's second picture. If you can't get anything better use brick pavers but proper old style bricks engineering bricks or overburnts look better.

Just take out a shallow trench and lay the bricks along the edge of the bed at about the same height as the grass. Mow with the mower wheels on the bricks so the grass growing over the bricks gets sucked up. Edge off occasionally with an edging iron between the grass and the bricks. You can develop a scissor action with the edge of the brick as on edge and he edging iron blade as the cutting edge.

Easy to move the bricks if you need to but you can also bed them in a cement or concrete mix if you feel you must.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,837 ✭✭✭billyhead

You can get metal edging from gardenshop.ie

Advertisement