Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deer Hunting Licences - 2021/2022 Season

• 03-03-2021 6:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭

Deer Hunting Licences - 2021/2022 Season
    Applications for Deer Hunting Licences are considered under Section 29(1) of the Wildlife Act 1976 to 2018.

Application forms and further information on the 2021/22 season will be posted on 15 March 2021.

Application packs will not be sent by post to those hunters who held a licence for the 2020/2021 deer hunting season at this stage due to the impact of Covid-19 on the operation of the Wildlife Licensing Unit. However, the Department will keep the matter under review. In addition, due to the current travel restrictions applicants are not required to submit a signed landowner permission form at this time but must provide all landowner permission details on the application form. Applicants can still provide Coillte permits with their applications. You are advised to make an application for the new season as soon as possible once the application forms are available.

If you are a new applicant, you must complete the application form and have permission from a landowner(s) to hunt deer on land of at least 100 acres (42 Hectares). However, if you are applying to hunt deer on your own lands, the 100 acre (42 hectare) requirement does not apply.

https://www.npws.ie/licences/hunting/deer-hunting-licences-2021-2022

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

That sorts that. Nice and simple. Also going to scan and email mine back, i do this each year, as it saves on time/postage and any "errors" are caught immediately.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Heavy handed

The IDC have released something different from a meeting they held with the department. There saying to hold off on applications till new application forms are made available and there’s going to be a new email for communicating with the npws

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

The IDC have released something different from a meeting they held with the department. There saying to hold off on applications till new application forms are made available and there’s going to be a new email for communicating with the npws

Application forms and further information on the 2021/22 season will be posted on 15 March 2021

At present there is nothing to download from the NPWS site.

Edit-
    In recent years you can't just apply using the previous years application form as they have been printed with the up coming season ie 2022/2022.

Sorry my mistake, it is the recent practice of the offical form used for landowners permissions that have been predated with the up coming season.
    Some may slip through but others have been returned.

Under the current Covid conditions there will be another waver for the land permission.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

The IDC have released something different from a meeting they held with the department.
    Can you update when the new info is available? E-mail, etc. Thanks.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Heavy handed

Cass wrote: »
    Can you update when the new info is available? E-mail, etc. Thanks.

That’s a copy of the mail sent out prior to this thread been put up.

Licensing for 2021/22 Open Deer Season

Irish Deer Commission

The Irish Deer Commission held a successful meeting with the National Parks & Wildlife Service today. A wide range of topics were discussed, we focused on deer hunting licensing for the 2021/22 deer season and how to avoid a repeat of the unintended licensing delays due to COVID-19 we experienced for the 2020/21 open season.

The meeting centred on a submission we made on the current “Legislative and Administrative Arrangements for Deer Licensing in Ireland” following an invitation to the Irish Deer Commission by Minister Daragh O’Brien on November 3rd, 2020. Our submission was based on the valuable feedback from members in our recent online survey. Our submission received positive feedback and was in line with Department plans.

Some of the key points from the meeting:

· Avoid further delays in issuing licences – we were informed, approval has been granted for the recruitment and training of additional staff in the Wildlife Licensing area and this will address any risk of further delays in the issuing of licences.
    · Applications for the 2021/22 Open Season and Landowner Permission Form – NPWS asked that no applications should be submitted until a new application form becomes available in the coming weeks. No decision has been taken on whether a signed landowner permission form is required due to COVID-19 restrictions. A dedicated email address will be provided to deer hunting licence applicants rather than the general wildlife licensing email address, to improve customer service and allow for escalation of queries, if required. Their preference is that applications are submitted by email.
    · Implementation of an Online Licensing System for Deer Hunting Licensing – we were informed, it is planned to have an online application and cull return process in place for the 2022/23 open season.
    · Extension to the current Deer Hunting Licence Term – any amendments or extensions to existing deer hunting licences requires a change in primary legislation and this will not happen until 2022/23 open season. It is expected a deer hunting licence will change from a one-year licence to a three-year licence, with provisions made for Coillte permit holders and annual cull returns.
    · Deer Tagging System – there is no current plan to implement such a scheme, however we impressed the benefits of such as scheme and the opportunity to implement when introducing an Online Application Process.
    · Changes to the Open Season – we discussed the animal welfare issues and concerns by the majority to any extension to the current open season, the Department did not confirm any changes were planned.
    · Wildlife Crime Unit and Recruitment – we were informed over 30 new rangers have been recruited. And the recently announced Wildlife Crime Unit is expected to be operational by mid-summer 2021.

We discussed many other issues and agreed to hold further meetings.

If you have queries, please email us at info@irishdeercommission.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Good news apart from this...
    Deer Tagging System – there is no current plan to implement such a scheme,B]Thankfuly[/B]!] however, we impressed the benefits of such as scheme and the opportunity to implement when introducing an Online Application Process.[[B]Bury it![/B
    That if implemented will be the thin end of the wedge to us and future gens starting to pay for our sport.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Public consultation and survey on NPWS.... Since we have been giving out enough about them over the years...Have your say.

https://npws.ie/news/review-npws-stakeholder-survey?fbclid=IwAR0-oBZCsVLKJFvOFytEqH8seZtR-jcVeFWEzXV1Rosrz7gkezWQDA4mX1M

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Nice one Grizz.... just done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Zxthinger

"Wildlife Crime Unit and Recruitment – we were informed over 30 new rangers have been recruited. And the recently announced Wildlife Crime Unit is expected to be operational by mid-summer 2021."

They might be effective for a year or two but low wages in such a work place will turn all good men bad..

Esp with the ridiculous skill sets, they are looking for.
    "Former SF scout/recon with a degree in Wildlife Management/Zoology ATV, small boat and watercraft handling, expertise in construction and using chainsaws, CSI skills a bonus." seems to be their ideal candidate.

• Advertisement

The NPWS have just put up the various licence applications process for the up coming deer season 2021/2022.

https://www.npws.ie/licences/hunting/deer-hunting-licences-2021-2022

A permanent link had been added in the
    Sticky: Important hunting threads and quick link

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 282 ✭✭kunekunesika

What the f....
    The minister is actually encouraging people to take up deer stalking? or did I totally miss read that?

Are ye sending in the RAW word format form or are ye securing/saving it as a PDF.
    Do you need to fill in unsigned permission slips?

I sent in both a Word Document and a PDF one. I don't know if it will make a difference but I saved them under the file name of Email Deer Hunting Deer Hunting Application 'My Name'

Re permissions - fill out the 'Schedule' with all the applicable information, you Do Not need to include a signed landowner permission form this year.

I would advise you not to change your landowner permission if you don't have to as it may cause a delay in your application. If all information is as per last year just resubmitt that information.

Don't forget to fill in your returns even if it is nil other wise it will come up as a blank section and again may cause a issue.

I sent in both a Word Document and a PDF one. I don't know if it will make a difference but I saved them under the file name of Email Deer Hunting Deer Hunting Application 'My Name'

Re permissions - fill out the 'Schedule' with all the applicable information, you Do Not need to include a signed landowner permission form this year.

I would advise you not to change your landowner permission if you don't have to as it may cause a delay in your application. If all information is as per last year just resubmitt that information.

Don't forget to fill in your returns even if it is nil other wise it will come up as a blank section and again may cause a issue.

I'm going to stick in a new permission and bang it off to them tonight. If there is issues with it then they have plenty of time to get back to me.

I'll also just chance a PDF. as I'm going to include a data sheet on the proposed ammunition for the 220 swift 55gr Norma Oryx. 3773fps with 1737ftlbs

My god, I've turned into a hell raiser.. lol asking questions and then ignore all sound advise..

:rolleyes: I also remember someone telling me not to get married either..??:eek: but I cant be told... lol

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 452 ✭✭Sharpyshoot

22 swift pee pee gun for deer good luck with that.

Firstly: If you already have a deer licence granted, why would you, especially in the current cluster feck climate, throw in something different such as a new permission- stick with what works.

Secondly: If you already have a deer licence granted, why would you, especially in the current cluster feck climate, throw in something different such as a new caliber, that has been for a good while controversial for deer stalking, stick with what works.

By the way unless we are on the wrong lines, are you talking about these:

EDIT my bad wrong ammo....
    But best case scenario from a balistic calculator - http://gundata.org/ballistic-calculator/ gives 1,701 foot pounds.
    Instead of a excel sheet, can you not just put up a link to the ammo that will meet the spec of the NPWS

Below is the firearms section of the deer hunting license application form detailing minimum muzzel energy of 1,700 foot pounds.

I've a .22 that's both suitable and quite legal for certain deer stalking in other parts of Europe but not here, that's why I use something else.

22 swift pee pee gun for deer good luck with that.

I have held a deer licence on it nearly 10 years. Took a good few Sika with it and couple of reds. Its a precision tool. Ideally suited to situations where accuracy dominates and where you have over penetration concerns. Great cartridge under 200 yards.

Neck shots created instant kills on both species. Heart and lung shots gave a mixed bag but some ran a small distance, especially those that were shot in the heart.
    It was noticed that they ran less if the boiler-room shots didn't clip the heart but only hit the lungs.

On rough ground, yes the swift might not anchor the beast to the spot and you could lose and animal who was running-dead but in moderate sized fields that afford deer cover (being likely places to find such animals) it's perfect..

Anyway its just a tool that suited to different conditions. but it is suited and it will kill deer all day long..

Firstly: If you already have a deer licence granted, why would you, especially in the current cluster feck climate, throw in something different such as a new permission- stick with what works.

Secondly: If you already have a deer licence granted, why would you, especially in the current cluster feck climate, throw in something different such as a new caliber, that has been for a good while controversial for deer stalking, stick with what works.

By the way unless we are on the wrong lines, are you talking about these:

547167.jpg

Below is the firearms section of the deer hunting license
    application form detailing minimum muzzel energy of 1,700 foot pounds. The Norma only has 1,137 foot lbs.

547168.jpg.

I've a .22 that's both suitable and quite legal for certain deer stalking in other parts of Europe but not here, that's why I use something else.

Norma have updated the website. They don't seem to be promoting the Swift now so you'll struggle to obtain data sheets for it.
    You can bang in a 60gr HP and it will give poor accuracy in my barrel twist (very temp dependent) but it will give you 1727ftlb. The norma is the only 55 grain bullet thats consistent and gives well in excess of the 1700ftlbs. I shoot it from a 26 inch barrel and it shots flatter than the ballistic calculator leading me to assume that it is exceeding the advertised velocity of 3773fps..

Anyway.. maybe you right about knocking on strange doors in bad times

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 452 ✭✭Sharpyshoot

We are shooting foxes with 308 now.

Fair play.. If your happy with that then its great..

I'm not going to stand here and condemn you for it. Personally I think its too much gun and there is the added risk from the slower velocities out of some firearms which might increase the probability of a ricochet..or a flight-path departure from the proposed trajectory. Only a moderate change in the vector could see bullets leaving the parish..

I'm sure you have fully researched it and have obtained frangible projectiles required to offset the added risk created from night-time shooting.

When one is amidst the excitement and unpredictability of a hunt, especially over ground-less-traveled, compounded by darkness.... then high velocity thin walled bullets are what the doc ordered..

Zxthinger wrote: »
    Norma have updated the website....

Anyway.. maybe you right about knocking on strange doors in bad times

Just for clarity I edited my post, due to the mix up on the Norma site.

I've no doubt if you can get the right ammo in the right rifle then the .220 swift it's capable of knocking deer, but anything else is putting you at risk of being in contravention of the licensing conditions.
    As regards to a 'precision tool' any rifle within its capable/realistic range is a precision tool. I'll punch eyes out of rabbits with my .22 out at 70 yards no hold over or dialing, same, same I'll neck shoot deer out to 250ish with 243, 270, 308, 30-06. Each calibre to it's own capabilities but the old adage the right tool for the right job. But again that's just my own opinion and in the right hands the Swift will work.

Just for clarity I edited my post, due to the mix up on the Norma site.

I've no doubt if you can get the right ammo in the right rifle then the .220 swift it's capable of knocking deer, but anything else is putting you at risk of being in contravention of the licensing conditions.
    As regards to a 'precision tool' any rifle within its capable/realistic range is a precision tool. I'll punch eyes out of rabbits with my .22 out at 70 yards no hold over or dialing, same, same I'll neck shoot deer out to 250ish with 243, 270, 308, 30-06. Each calibre to it's own capabilities but the old adage the right tool for the right job. But again that's just my own opinion and in the right hands the Swift will work.

Thanks for the link.. the ammo is running faster than the default setting on gundata.org , ballistic drop has shown me that running faster with the a 26inch barrel, it might only be pennies in the pound but still copper in my pocket..

Anyway i thought about your logic and I decided not to change anything and jsut submitted the an identical copy of last years licence with same permissions and the just the swift.. lol Why rock the boat..

Aint much left of the critter if you hit them with that mind.:D

Jeeeze with that press statement from Noonan...Was he on the wacky baccy when he said that?Thats sure to bring the ire of the more militant idiots of his cause down upon him..You know the kind who want to rewild the place with wolves and bears to deal with the deer problem?:rolleyes:

Gotta love the deer Alliance HCAP ad under this...
    "The gold standard"...Easy to be that if you are the only one in the field.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

I sent in both a Word Document and a PDF one.

Did you get any receipt of the mail cooki?

Vegeta wrote: »
    Did you get any receipt of the mail cooki?

Just double checked, - No, no receipt for the email.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Just double checked, - No, no receipt for the email.

I was the same, so just wanted to make sure I wasn't the only one :D

I couldn't help it..... my paranoia and OCD kicked in .....

547223.jpg

.... I posted in a hard copy this morning

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭ESetter

I sent mine off by email yesterday as soon as i could. I now realise i forgot to put in the farmers phone number?. I have used the same permission for years so i wonder will they have his phone number on record? I was too quick off the mark and could have now made a bags of it!!

Advertisement