Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Build or buy

Options
  • 03-03-2021 7:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭

Hi.

My existing PC is several years old AMD FX8320, 8GB RAM, Nvidia GTX1060 3GB. I'm looking at upgrading but with graphics cards so hard to source I wonder if I would be better going for a prebuilt PC. I'd be looking at something like Ryzen 3600, 16GB RAM and a decent level graphics card something that would run games like Doom Eternal at high settings. If building I'd be looking at buying the processor, RAM, graphics card, and possibly case depending on the size of the card. I have a 1TB SSD and 1TB hard drive, BD/DVD drive, monitor, keyboard mouse etc. Also have licensed Windows 10 Pro. Also have a 550w PSU.

Mostly looking at gaming, some video work, and misc other work.

Budget €800 - €1000 possibly a little more if needed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Aodhan5000

Could go with this prebuilt but then add another 8gb ram stick so you'd have dual channel 16gb:
    https://www.dell.com/en-ie/shop/gaming-and-games/new-g5-gaming-desktop/spd/g-series-5000-desktop/cd500001#features_section

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭mossie

Aodhan5000 wrote: »
    Could go with this prebuilt but then add another 8gb ram stick so you'd have dual channel 16gb:
    https://www.dell.com/en-ie/shop/gaming-and-games/new-g5-gaming-desktop/spd/g-series-5000-desktop/cd500001#features_section

It probably would work out cheaper than an upgrade / self build at the moment anyway and avoid hassle of trying to locate a graphics card. Just saw that estimated availablity for the Dell is 18 May. Next model up is available now for €300 extra.

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Confused11811

If you're not in any rush you could wait and see how the market improves in a couple of months time. Alternatively you could update your mobo, ram, cpu and probably psu (because of its age). Retain the current GPU as a placeholder card until a better option becomes available.

If you're not in any rush you could wait and see how the market improves in a couple of months time. Alternatively you could update your mobo, ram, cpu and probably psu (because of its age). Retain the current GPU as a placeholder card until a better option becomes available.

Those are options to look at too. I'm not in a huge rush but the GPU situation doesn't seem to be improving at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Confused11811

You could get a decent 2nd hand one Adverts. I recently paid €500 for a GTX 1080 TI , over the odds but it's a great card from a trusted seller with great feedback.

I just checked CEX and you'd get about €30 for your processor and €124 for your gpu. You'd probably get more on Adverts selling privately. Not sure what the complete pc would get. You'd at least get some of your money back no matter what you decide to do.

• Advertisement

You could get a decent 2nd hand one Adverts. I recently paid €500 for a GTX 1080 TI , over the odds but it's a great card from a trusted seller with great feedback.

I just checked CEX and you'd get about €30 for your processor and €124 for your gpu. You'd probably get more on Adverts selling privately. Not sure what the complete pc would get. You'd at least get some of your money back no matter what you decide to do.

Thanks. I think I'll hold off on it for now in the hope that GPUs become available/affordable. I think I'll manage a while longer.

Advertisement