Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much to offer for piece of neighbours garden ? (Dublin)

Options
  • 03-03-2021 8:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭

I want to buy a piece of my neighbours garden to square off my odd shaped one.

It's a piece 1m x 8.5m

His garden would still be a fair size (its roughly 20m x 8.5m now, I'm looking for the bottom 1 m, leaving him 19x8.5)

I dont think the sale would either massively devalue his house or significantly increase mine.

How much should I offer? I'd cover solicitor fees too.

We are in south Dublin, houses are worth about 450k .

Any help/advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Would you not just ask if they're open to selling first? Then get onto price?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭blackbox

As well as solicitor, you will probably have surveyor/engineer costs and land registry fees. (I've no idea how much these cost)

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Dolbhad

Also would trigger stamp duty of 7.5% of whatever value is placed on the garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭M_Murphy57

Would you not just ask if they're open to selling first? Then get onto price?

I dont have unlimited funds so would rather have a sense of cost first in case it's not feasible.

I'm aware of surveyors solicitors etc.

Specifically I'm asking if anyone has a sense of what a small piece of garden in south Dublin might be worth

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

M_Murphy57 wrote: »

It's a piece 1m x 8.5m

His garden would still be a fair size (its roughly 20m x 8.5m now, I'm looking for the bottom 1 m, leaving him 19x8.5)

I dont think the sale would either massively devalue his house or significantly increase mine.

Any help/advice?

The problem is that it's worth what it's worth to him. Which could be anything. Market rates won't come into it.

Talk to the neighbour and see what they say. For instance I couldn't be arsed selling a bit of garden for s couple of grand due to the hassle of it. So you'd have to factor that in also

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

It's a piece 1m x 8.5m

Any help/advice?

If the odd shape of the end of the garden bothers the other option would be to block that section off. Sounds like a far simpler solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Piehead

I dont have unlimited funds so would rather have a sense of cost first in case it's not feasible.

Specifically I'm asking if anyone has a sense of what a small piece of garden in south Dublin might be worth

I’d say bout tree fiddy

• Registered Users Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭finbarrk

€2,000 -€6,000 maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Allinall

OP. There is no "market value" for a piece of garden.

You must have a limit on what you would be willing to pay-
    €2k, €5k, 10k etc.

What I would do it find your price, halve it and offer that. If they accept, happy days.

If they reject it out of hand, at least you have a starting point to work from.

They may not want to sell at any price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭snowcat

finbarrk wrote: »
    €2,000 -€6,000 maybe.

No one is going to sell a bit of their garden for the sake of 2k. Id say add a zero to that

• Advertisement

The problem is that it's worth what it's worth to him. Which could be anything. Market rates won't come into it.

Talk to the neighbour and see what they say. For instance I couldn't be arsed selling a bit of garden for s couple of grand due to the hassle of it. So you'd have to factor that in also

I was more hoping someone would know from their own experience of buying a piece of land/garden in Dublin rather than asking if anyone here could read minds.

But appreciate, yes, he might believe the last 1 meter of his garden is invaluable - or equally might not want the hassle of selling.

Allinall wrote: »
    OP. There is no "market value" for a piece of garden.

You must have a limit on what you would be willing to pay-
    €2k, €5k, 10k etc.

What I would do it find your price, halve it and offer that. If they accept, happy days.

If they reject it out of hand, at least you have a starting point to work from.

They may not want to sell at any price.

That sounds a sensible approach - 5-10k was what I had in mind.

Reckon there will be up to 5k of other costs on top between 2 solicitors. I'd like to pay 5km but reckon 8 is probably the point that makes it worth the hassle for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭StevenToast

10 grand and you cover all the fees would make him think....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

I'd want about 10k after fees

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭irelandrover

It depends a lot on the garden. I have pieces of my garden i would happily sell but pieces i wouldn't.
    The part at the end of my garden is the sunny part where we can sit out the longest in the evening. No way i would sell any of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,971 ✭✭✭893bet

For that kind of money. To square it off?

I don’t see the value.

Get in a garden designer and they will square it off with low maintenance shrubs or similar. Or do it yourself. But if you can afford 10-15k to buy a piece of land and then move the boundary...! A little garden design might be far better in maximising your space.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Pat Kenny is the man to advise you. He has a great knowledge of that type of business

• Registered Users Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

If he owns the house he might go for it but it there is a mortgage and bank involved it's not going to happen. They would have to give permission and if they ever had to sell the house it makes the title questionable

• Registered Users Posts: 17,051 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

M_Murphy57 wrote:

5 euro to one person & 500k euro to another. The logical thing is to talk to the neighbour first. See if they are open to the idea and then sound them out on what sort of price they would consider

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

It's a piece 1m x 8.5m

Any help/advice?

Would you fit a caravan in?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭FreeFallin

Hi OP, did you manage to purchase the plot? If so, I'd appreciate if you can share some information on what was involved from a legal perspective. I may embark on something similar. Thanks.

Advertisement