Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saab fault - quantem HKC

Options
  • 03-03-2021 8:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭

I got fab help from one of the contributors here recently with a couple of issues on my quantum HKC - I have a new key fob set up all well -
    GSM - Q - up and running - old numbers removed - tested and working perfectly - thanks all !

This alarm was here when I moved in -
    My last issue !!! The SAAB -
    It’s removed from the system now -
    The issue was that every so often especially if elec was off - it wouldn’t come back on- i used to get it to work by quickly flicking the fuse that the alarm is off -
    Im 99 per cent sure it’s wired off a circuit in the attic - the old installer said it was - he suggested that the “ relay” was sticking hence the issue -

I’ve the ladder sorted ! I intend to put the system in eng- mode - then try find the screw on the Saab and remove it - presume it won’t tamper activate if system in engineer mode ?
    Confirm that there is cable there - from mains - then - how to enrol it again I presume it’s standard - similar to key fob - is it when I put the cover on them return down to RKP and search under comms for the Saab - is that about it !? Any tips or things to watch for - I suppose if on mains - would it be as well to change the batteries anyway ? ( what do I look for in the alarm supplies - that will last longest I wonder ) thanks
    Paddy

Alarm here I think around 5 / 6? Years - can you check battery health on the menus)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,713 ✭✭✭✭altor

I got fab help from one of the contributors here recently with a couple of issues on my quantum HKC - I have a new key fob set up all well -
    GSM - Q - up and running - old numbers removed - tested and working perfectly - thanks all !

This alarm was here when I moved in -
    My last issue !!! The SAAB -
    It’s removed from the system now -
    The issue was that every so often especially if elec was off - it wouldn’t come back on- i used to get it to work by quickly flicking the fuse that the alarm is off -
    Im 99 per cent sure it’s wired off a circuit in the attic - the old installer said it was - he suggested that the “ relay” was sticking hence the issue -

I’ve the ladder sorted ! I intend to put the system in eng- mode - then try find the screw on the Saab and remove it - presume it won’t tamper activate if system in engineer mode ?
    Confirm that there is cable there - from mains - then - how to enrol it again I presume it’s standard - similar to key fob - is it when I put the cover on them return down to RKP and search under comms for the Saab - is that about it !? Any tips or things to watch for - I suppose if on mains - would it be as well to change the batteries anyway ? ( what do I look for in the alarm supplies - that will last longest I wonder ) thanks
    Paddy

Alarm here I think around 5 / 6? Years - can you check battery health on the menus)

When you say its on a circuit in the attic do you know how this is connected to the bell itself?

If its just connected using a transformer does the bell have the 8.4V back up battery installed?

If the bell is not on the system it should not activate by the tamper.

Enrolling is done through the keypad and activating the tamper switch on the device.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭2012paddy2012

altor wrote: »
    When you say its on a circuit in the attic do you know how this is connected to the bell itself?

If its just connected using a transformer does the bell have the 8.4V back up battery installed?

If the bell is not on the system it should not activate by the tamper.

Enrolling is done through the keypad and activating the tamper switch on the device.

Altor - I’m not sure - the guy that installed - I had to call back as he refused to give me the eng code -I had no choice - mentioned that he couldn’t remember what he took a feed from - I don’t know is the answer - I presume ( trying to avoid crawling all around attic ) if I see feed to power in Saab when I open it - it’s presumably “ hard wired”

Worse case I presume I can replace the batteries and set it up RF?

Altor - I’m not sure - the guy that installed - I had to call back as he refused to give me the eng code -I had no choice - mentioned that he couldn’t remember what he took a feed from - I don’t know is the answer - I presume ( trying to avoid crawling all around attic ) if I see feed to power in Saab when I open it - it’s presumably “ hard wired”

Worse case I presume I can replace the batteries and set it up RF?

You will need to find this out so having a look where cable goes from bell into attic would help answer your questions.

When you open the Sabb take a picture, this will also answer a few questions.

Yes, if the bell is an RF one then you can add the battery packs to make it work that way but if you have a way of powering it off the mains also Id go that route as this saves replacing batteries every 3 years.

You will need to find this out so having a look where cable goes from bell into attic would help answer your questions.

When you open the Sabb take a picture, this will also answer a few questions.

Yes, if the bell is an RF one then you can add the battery packs to make it work that way but if you have a way of powering it off the mains also Id go that route as this saves replacing batteries every 3 years.

Perfect thank you - good advice if I needed to replace the box - I presume you can buy the kit to loop off a lighting circuit to power new ( mains ) Saab ?

Perfect thank you - good advice if I needed to replace the box - I presume you can buy the kit to loop off a lighting circuit to power new ( mains ) Saab ?

Yes you can, Id recommend a 12V boxed power supply so you can add a back up battery.
    Is there any wires in the panel that could of been used to connect to the bell also?

• Advertisement

Yes you can, Id recommend a 12V boxed power supply so you can add a back up battery.
    Is there any wires in the panel that could of been used to connect to the bell also?

If I took a pic of the open RKP wiring - and put it here could you say from that if it’s powered to bell / Saab I wonder ?

If I took a pic of the open RKP wiring - and put it here could you say from that if it’s powered to bell / Saab I wonder ?

Yes

Yes

Pics rkp

Yes

Thanks ! From looking at the RKP - there is no feed to the Aux - none then to strobe/ ext bell -
    I presume therefore the Saab is just your standard
    basic RF SAAB - so -

I can recall occasional message “RF connection lost “ on RKP - never any mention of SAAB- as I would have taken note - I had thought low battery message would occur on devices eg window contacts - PIR etc and indeed - warning on SAAB -
    Anyway - I’m presuming the battery pack just needs replacing - and the tamper - alerts - to - Locate - the RF AND enrol in usual fashion -

- for now I’ll just get it going with leds - sound - replace battery pack - and look at getting a kit to power it from mains next week

Pics rkp

No, not connected to main control panel.

• Advertisement

Thanks ! From looking at the RKP - there is no feed to the Aux - none then to strobe/ ext bell -
    I presume therefore the Saab is just your standard
    basic RF SAAB - so -

I can recall occasional message “RF connection lost “ on RKP - never any mention of SAAB- as I would have taken note - I had thought low battery message would occur on devices eg window contacts - PIR etc and indeed - warning on SAAB -
    Anyway - I’m presuming the battery pack just needs replacing - and the tamper - alerts - to - Locate - the RF AND enrol in usual fashion -

- for now I’ll just get it going with leds - sound - replace battery pack - and look at getting a kit to power it from mains next week

If you can post a picture of inside of Sabb then can hopefully help you further.

I would also look around the area any cable that might be coming from Sabb to attic.

The above is to find out what way it has been powered and by what means.

If you can post a picture of inside of Sabb then can hopefully help you further.

I would also look around the area any cable that might be coming from Sabb to attic.

The above is to find out what way it has been powered and by what means.

Ok thanks - will do

Ok thanks - will do

The back up battery is not fitted so I'm hoping he has at lease put a boxed power supply with back up battery on the other end of that cable in your attic.

If not this would explain the issues when mains is off.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Stinky45

The back up battery is not fitted so I'm hoping he has at lease put a boxed power supply with back up battery on the other end of that cable in your attic.

If not this would explain the issues when mains is off.

Hi Altor

I'm joining this thread regards your mention of "boxed power supply" does this mean that the power supply needs to be housed in a box? I have my Quantum connected to the correct power supply and the power supply is simply fixed to the wall in my attic. That said maybe I need to place it in a fire-proof containing box (metal) ???

Very interested in your response...thank you as always for past and present advice

Stinky45 wrote: »
    Hi Altor

I'm joining this thread regards your mention of "boxed power supply" does this mean that the power supply needs to be housed in a box? I have my Quantum connected to the correct power supply and the power supply is simply fixed to the wall in my attic. That said maybe I need to place it in a fire-proof containing box (metal) ???

Very interested in your response...thank you as always for past and present advice

If the External bell is powered off mains then Id recommend adding the boxed power supply with back up battery.

If the External bell is powered off mains then Id recommend adding the boxed power supply with back up battery.

Anyone know of anywhere need leixlip where I could get boxed power supply - also a battery - hkc Quantem? Presumably these suppliers are open during covid - hoping somewhere near enough to where I live - otherwise it’s an online - job !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

OP hope you don't mind me jumping in here.

Just a question on my own saab

It went off the other day and a fault popped up on the control panel. How likely is it the saab is bunched and needs replacing? I have it in engineer mode at the minute and planned to just buy another saab and replace to try fix. I'd rather not waste the money if it's something else. The panel is a wired HKC and nothing has changed with the wiring just a random fault.

Any thoughts would be great.

iwillhtfu wrote: »

It went off the other day and a fault popped up on the control panel. How likely is it the saab is bunched and needs replacing? I have it in engineer mode at the minute and planned to just buy another saab and replace to try fix. I'd rather not waste the money if it's something else. The panel is a wired HKC and nothing has changed with the wiring just a random fault.

I’m an amateur myself !!! The fault on the menu should indicate the issue- I was going to do what your thinking of- ( replace Saab) but a very helpful decent guy here talked me through - how to remove the Saab P.C. board and test it - transpires there is nothing actually wrong with it - the original installer used a transformer that’s usually used for cctv - with no back up battery either - !! I’m in the middle of trying to buy a “ power supply unit “ with back up battery and wire it in myself over next few days - that’s the way it should have been done initially - sorry for long post ! These things are expensive - I’d keep on here and take advice as it comes - keep the faith ! You can remove the Saab from the system for now on devices menu - that will allow the rest - internal bell - GSM - if you have one to work for peace of mind till you get advice here

What is the fault its showing?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

What is the fault its showing?

I got a call back from the engineer I had called originally so all sorted now. Thanks

• Advertisement

I got a call back from the engineer I had called originally so all sorted now. Thanks

Glad you got it sorted.

Advertisement