Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oldtown Woods, Celbridge

Options
  • 03-03-2021 8:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi!

Anyone looking to buy a property at Oldtown Woods? Myself and my husband and our 1.5 year old son are thinking about moving to Celbridge from Dublin and buying one of the 3-beds.

Has anyone viewed the showhouse or know anything about the next release? I heard the attics can't be converted which isn't ideal!

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭bulmersgal

I'm buying in Oldtown Woods. I've lived in Celbridge half my life and love it there. Have seen the showhouses and they look lovely. They have full video walkthrough on YouTube.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭DubLad69

emsaggs wrote: »
    Hi!

Anyone looking to buy a property at Oldtown Woods? Myself and my husband and our 1.5 year old son are thinking about moving to Celbridge from Dublin and buying one of the 3-beds.

Has anyone viewed the showhouse or know anything about the next release? I heard the attics can't be converted which isn't ideal!

Thanks!

I've viewed the show house. Kitchen is very spacious although the actual cooking/prep area is small enough. The virtual tour on the website shows a double eye level oven, there isn't one. It's under the counter. The living room is small, but cosy. The master bedroom is on the small size to me, but bigger than most new builds. The house seems to be high quality.

For me the main downfall is the tiny nack garden. I'm personally stuck between buying here and buying a 4 bed with a big garden in millerstown, Kilcock.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭bulmersgal

I was looking at both Celbridge and Kilcock but stayed in Celbridge main reason was not just the house but town itself and all the services. We have the train albeit it's on other side of town, the bus services are better in Celbridge, 67,67x and 120 and nightlinks I drive but my daughter will be using the bus to go to town/college in a few years. A lot more primary and secondary schools within walking distance. Castletown is amazing for walks and we spent most of lockdown there. Also the resale value on houses is higher in Celbridge than Kilcock and less of a commute.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 merikahan

anyone purchased in oldtown woods. Someone told me that builder is building the houses in the sinking soil . I am not sure how planning permission gave the permission to build.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 HouseEater

merikahan wrote: »
    anyone purchased in oldtown woods. Someone told me that builder is building the houses in the sinking soil . I am not sure how planning permission gave the permission to build.

I can't imagine that been true at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Coopaloop

That whole area is prone to flooding, I've lived in the area and my parents who still live there had their house flooded about 14 ish years ago at a cost of about €100,000, the river Tony runs along that stretch, and that's what floods. Mow the council have taken steps to clear the river and there hasn't been a flood that bad since down my parents end, but none of the houses in my parents estate can get flood cover to this day. I would hope the builder sorted it out before building....but u never know.

Coopaloop wrote: »
    That whole area is prone to flooding, I've lived in the area and my parents who still live there had their house flooded about 14 ish years ago at a cost of about €100,000, the river Tony runs along that stretch, and that's what floods. Mow the council have taken steps to clear the river and there hasn't been a flood that bad since down my parents end, but none of the houses in my parents estate can get flood cover to this day. I would hope the builder sorted it out before building....but u never know.

All of the houses have flood cover on the insurance, and the builders have installed underground storage containers to collect water in the event that there was a flood.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Coopaloop

DubLad69 wrote: »
    All of the houses have flood cover on the insurance, and the builders have installed underground storage containers to collect water in the event that there was a flood.

Well that's good, sounds like they have it sorted so. The insurance was in relation to my parents and others around them, they haven't been able to get flood cover since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 merikahan

Glad to hear that they have sorted flood issue.

Does anyone know about quality of the houses. I read on FB group that builder is using basic mechanical controlled ventilation with passive vents. All the new builds I have seen use demand controlled ventilation or heat recovery. I guess builder is trying to save some money.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 HouseEater

I visited the show houses last October. They looked OK to me, but I am not an expert. I visited other new builds also, about half had whole house extracts and the other half had DCV.

However, on the other hand, these houses apparently come with an alarm fitted and 1 year of action24. They are also apparently wired for eir (FTTH maybe?) and Virgin Media. I have also viewed other new builds that were not wired for internet/phone, or did not have an alarm per-fitted. These builds in Oldown Woods have cat5e cabling to two rooms from the utility room, where-as others had cat6 to most rooms in the house, while as some other new builds had no data cabling at all. It's hard to get all boxes ticked, while trying to get an ideal location at a reasonable price I have found.

• Advertisement

merikahan wrote: »
    Glad to hear that they have sorted flood issue.

Does anyone know about quality of the houses. I read on FB group that builder is using basic mechanical controlled ventilation with passive vents. All the new builds I have seen use demand controlled ventilation or heat recovery. I guess builder is trying to save some money.

Did you purchase one of these houses? I've seen you on the FB page and here asking a lot of questions and complaining about the houses. Did you decide what to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 conal08

Hi,

Anyone who has already moved into Oldtown Woods; what home media/internet package providers are available there? Estate agent told us months ago that it was only Eir at the time but wondering if there any any others.

Cheers

conal08 wrote: »
    Hi,

Anyone who has already moved into Oldtown Woods; what home media/internet package providers are available there? Estate agent told us months ago that it was only Eir at the time but wondering if there any any others.

Cheers

Eir isn't available, but Virgin is.

Advertisement