Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

App to show signal strength/coverage of all operators?

Options
  • 03-03-2021 10:03pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭

What app does this live? Want to test on a phone in a basement to see which get's the best signal.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

On android it's in settings>about phone>status>sim status>signal strength

The 'dBm' figure indicates the signal level...the higher, the better eg -70dBm is better than -90dBm

The other thing to do is visit a webpage with lots of images and observe how fast the images load.

Signal level can be good but bandwidth can be low if the network is congested so check both attributes above to judge network performance.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Hi, I can check the signal strength of the sims network, I'm looking for the values of other networks.
    This particular issue is that the phone is being used in a basement so often can't get any signal at all and calls don't come through, so need to check the coverage from other networks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

https://siteviewer.comreg.ie/

It's probably not up to date (might be few months behind) but the networks don't publish live maps so Comregs map is all there is.

Either way, it'll require getting a SIM from other 2 networks to check signal.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Hi, I can check the signal strength of the sims network, I'm looking for the values of other networks.
    This particular issue is that the phone is being used in a basement so often can't get any signal at all and calls don't come through, so need to check the coverage from other networks.

You need to get cheap SIMs to do this.

Or really you need to lay out a few hundred for a cellular repeater.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I suppose you can at least see what coverage is in the area with a scan, if 4g coverage foe a network is there it is a good bet things are looking ok. Though sims is easy to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

just get someones phone in the family etc, if they are on different provider, plus that would rule out phones antenna being weak as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭babelfish1990

Eir offer WiFi calling, which guarantees coverage for both calls and text over WiFi. This is the best solution for coverage in basements and A-rated buildings, as it allows you to control your own coverage. If your home is large, use a mesh WiFi system to ensure seamless WiFi across your home with handover (roaming) between access points. WiFi calling works on iPhones out of the box, but Android requires a model with the Eir Firmware configured.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭jdon72

You can get a sim from 48 that comes with a 1gb data for free which u can use to test for three’s network. You can then swap this number to an post and get a month for free to test Vodafone’s network

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

You could try opensignal, will show you some aggregated user data, and breaks it down to Vodafone / 3 / eir.

That works well thanks, the average user in the area gets much faster speeds on Vodafone.

• Advertisement
Advertisement