Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Modern Feminism-Good for Society?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

The LGFA is a separate entity to the GAA.

So any issue is at their door, as is that monumental ****-up with the semi-final last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

The GAA doesn't govern the Ladies' games, the LGFA and it's camogie counterpart govern them. Both organisations are a mess, granted.

And interesting the poster called the gaa a ‘lads club’ that marginalises women but heres the lgfa staff : https://ladiesgaelic.ie/the-lgfa/about-us/staff/ not a lot of men there

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Why is it? Is that not the most obvious target by which to measure progress or success. For anyone, male or female. In all walks of life, in all industries, people look at what others have achieved and seek to emulate that.

Now, before you react, I'm not suggesting there should be absolute or mandatory enforcement of quality of outcome through regulation. But, I can see where some regulation around the areas of certain quotas can at least be part of the conversation rather than just assuming that equality will ultimately happen organically, it might, but there is no guarantee and will take much longer than should be accepted by all people.
    It is probable that people have ingrained bias as to expectations of who should be in a particular role because they have grown up always seeing such a person in it.

We saw it in the NFL where it was recognized that Black men were not getting the opportunities to coach and so the Rooney rule was brought in even though, in theory it should not have been required given the number of non-white people who have played the sport.

That requires serious state coercion and social engineering

It's hard to read that and think that would some would take it as meaning that women, after being prejudiced against for so long, should not pretty much immediately, start to take up the battles for women and devote less of their time to issues which they still see needing to be addressed within their own sphere.

One thing I would feel pretty certain about is, if men start advocating for something which is for the genuine benefit of men, not just an attempt to take something from women, many of the people who would come on board with this would be women in the same way as many supporters for women's rights are men.

regular people would support it but the vocal minority of feminists who are so prevelant in the media would oppose , most of those are driven by revenge and a desire to punish men for perceived sins of the past

im thinking of career man haters like " Doctor " Mary McAuliffe

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    regular people would support it but the vocal minority of feminists who are so prevelant in the media would oppose , most of those are driven by revenge and a desire to punish men for perceived sins of the past

Even Una Mullally, has a weekly platform in the paper of record to channel her personal anger with one man in her life into an all out hate festival blaming all men for every ill in society

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

I never heard of her, but why is the word "doctor" in quotation marks.

joe40 wrote: »

Presumably like “doctor” ebun joseph where their doctorate is in complete waffle

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

TomTomTim wrote: »
    Feminist says something ridiculous, man responds questioning the soundness of their reason, people like you scream oppression.

This tweet ticks the first two of those boxes anyway :D:D:D

pgTKzLfm.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Presumably like “doctor” ebun joseph where their doctorate is in complete waffle

So how is her doctorate complete waffle. If it was achieved in an Irish institution or any reputable institution then minimum academic standards would apply.

I have no problem disagreeing with someone but see no reason to denigrate their qualifications without causes. ( Bought from the states for example)

So how is her doctorate complete waffle. If it was achieved in an Irish institution or any reputable institution then minimum academic standards would apply.

I have no problem disagreeing with someone but see no reason to denigrate their qualifications without causes. ( Bought from the states for example)

A phd in equality studies is complete waffle, it doesnt deserve the term ‘doctor’

May aswell get a doctorate in whinging

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Yakov P. Golyadkin

A phd in equality studies is complete waffle, it doesnt deserve the term ‘doctor’

May aswell get a doctorate in whinging

So, both women are in fact doctors, despite your feelings?

I do like your reference to whinging though, it seems to be the one thing regular posters here know a lot about.

illustrates my contempt for grievance studies doctorates

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 415 ✭✭johnmck

Rodin wrote: »
    Feminists are not looking for genuine equality.

Yup

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭livia21

It's nothing short of bizare to hear men tell me what feminism is.I am a Feminist 48 yr old with 3 sons aged 22 -29.

I have no inkling to wipe out my sons...I don't think they want to wipe me out either.. FFs lads Feminazi ??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭99nsr125

livia21 wrote: »
    It's nothing short of bizare to hear men tell me what feminism is.I am a Feminist 48 yr old with 3 sons aged 22 -29.

I have no inkling to wipe out my sons...I don't think they want to wipe me out either.. FFs lads Feminazi ??

So how does feminism view sex disparity in the dominance of women in education

• Registered Users Posts: 16,640 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

McAuliffe has a PhD in history from Trinity. Her thesis was on the tower houses of County Kerry. I just did a search through it and the words 'feminism' and 'gender' appear a combined total of 0 times.

osarusan wrote: »
    McAuliffe has a PhD in history from Trinity. Her thesis was on the tower houses of County Kerry. I just did a search through it and the words 'feminism' and 'gender' appear a combined total of 0 times.

anyone who is familiar with mary mc cauliffe knows she lives and breathes feminist and identity politics , that she is also a historian is beside the point , she is currently a gender studies professor in maynoth or was until quite recently

• Registered Users Posts: 21,692 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

You're not named after Tony Sopranos mother by any chance before we accept your word on this?

99nsr125 wrote: »
    So how does feminism view sex disparity in the dominance of women in education

we don't tend to get our knickers in a twist..you might think that women are more dominate..You think women come out the better of education ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

anyone who is familiar with mary mc cauliffe knows she lives and breathes feminist and identity politics , that she is also a historian is beside the point , she is currently a gender studies professor in maynoth or was until quite recently

Ah gender studies, the classroom full of girls where they all learn that the reason they didn't choose Engineering was sexism!!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

we don't tend to get our knickers in a twist..you might think that women are more dominate..You think women come out the better of education ?
    Going by the growing education gap, yes.

Link

Link

Both UK, this one's Irish:

Link

Now when the gap was going the other way there was all sorts of questions raised, now, not nearly so much and it's usually blamed on a) boys essentially couldn't be arsed and don't see higher education as valuable, b) boys leaving education early to go into trades and c) the majority of teachers being women, so men don't have enough inspiration.

It doesn't paint the full picture mind you as men are significantly more likely to go into the "hard" degrees like STEM, whereas women more likely to do arts degrees. Where this is different is around medicine.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote: »
    Going by the growing education gap, yes.

Link

Link

Both UK, this one's Irish:

Link

Now when the gap was going the other way there was all sorts of questions raised, now, not nearly so much and it's usually blamed on a) boys essentially couldn't be arsed and don't see higher education as valuable, b) boys leaving education early to go into trades and c) the majority of teachers being women, so men don't have enough inspiration.

It doesn't paint the full picture mind you as men are significantly more likely to go into the "hard" degrees like STEM, whereas women more likely to do arts degrees. Where this is different is around medicine.
    Sure.. let's do stats..There is not a fool amongst us ,.We as Irish know wht it is like for Irish women ..but sure it it is the Irish men that are suffering

Well completely avoiding a question is a very telling answer in itself.

But how about giving it a go.

Sure.. let's do stats..There is not a fool amongst us ,.We as Irish know wht it is like for Irish women ..but sure it it is the Irish men that are suffering

Can you tell us what rights, as provided by the state, your sons have that women don't have even?

How about trying to use a logical or even you know facts and statistics in your answer.

Err,... how exactly are Irish women being hard done by? Where is all this suffering by Irish women?

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Mike Murdock

More women in Law, Medicine and Pharmacology than men. Those three professions were dominated by men.

More women going to University than men.

But yeah..."Patriarchy" (tm)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Sure.. let's do stats.
    Indeed, they're called reflections on realities as opposed to feelings on some matter or other. .
    There is not a fool amongst us ,.We as Irish know wht it is like for Irish women ..but sure it it is the Irish men that are suffering
    And again back to the them V us, oppressed narrative. It's like night follows day. Provided with a cogent argument backed up by government statistics, even then I pointed out and acknowledged there are subtleties in the figures, but nope, not good enough for the Blessed Church of the Most Holy Victimhood. All politics these days especially identity politics runs to it by default, but feminism takes the biscuit on this score.
    among average everyday people, which gender is more likely to die younger, be killed at work, be physically assaulted, be homeless, be addicts, be more suicidal and carry that to its unfortunate end, be unemployed, have lower educational outcomes, fewer social and financial resources, be treated less favourably in law, including in the event of divorce? I'll give ye a hint, it's not women. The only metric where women figure higher in the stats is in sexual assault.

Now I know the itch is there to go "poor men" and go to the above described tactic. Let me be clear: I am not "blaming" women. Blame is best left in the schoolyard when grown up topics are in play. I am merely pointing out actual demonstrable facts. Facts that demonstrate that on many many metrics in modern Irish society women are "suffering" not nearly as much as is claimed by "feminists". Indeed it can be quite easily argued that one of the single most protected demographics in the Western world is women.

Put it another way as a thought experiment: You see a crisis in people living on the street, or people living in extreme poverty and you want to raise awareness and try and raise funds. Who and in what order do you put on your posters and frontpages to get the most sympathy and attention? A man. A woman. A Child. Exactly.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Err,... how exactly are Irish women being hard done by? Where is all this suffering by Irish women?

They've all done a runner again...they never answer straight forward questions, or even attempt to answer them, that's about the forth time they have avoided simple questions....I suspect they know deep down this is a racket.

Some one type something like "women love cooking"...they'll be back in numbers!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

They've all done a runner again...they never answer straight forward questions, or even attempt to answer them, that's about the forth time they have avoided simple questions....I suspect they know deep down this is a racket.

Some one type something like "women love cooking"...they'll be back in numbers!!!

this is the most anoying thing about all this. if you beleived what the feminists and media tell you you expect to be inundated with ways women are being discriminated or disadvantaged in this country but when you ask for examples all you get is silence or deflection onto some other topic to try to twist the narritive.

ask any men rights activist or someone into genuine equality and you will get 20 responses about genuine issues facing men right now here in this contry.

Advertisement