Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Modern Feminism-Good for Society?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,018 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Wibbs wrote: »

And again back to the them V us oppressed narrative.

but nope, not good enough for

The Blessed Church of the Most Holy Victimhood.

I know you are the mod of The Gentlemans Club, so I'm surprised you would levy these terms at anyone else given the content there. Im referring to the thread titled mens rights.its just wall to wall victims and poor men. Maybe you havent read that thread.

I'd say them vs us and Victimhood apply more there.

When you have posts using innocent little children kidnapped by Boku Haram in Nigeria to pointscore as a them vs us Agenda, something is seriously amiss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,909 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Err,... how exactly are Irish women being hard done by? Where is all this suffering by Irish women?
    They've all done a runner again...they never answer straight forward questions, or even attempt to answer them, that's about the forth time they have avoided simple questions....I suspect they know deep down this is a racket.

Some one type something like "women love cooking"...they'll be back in numbers!!!

I myself have posted twice in relation to this, and don't think I am the only one and this is the second time Silentcorner that you have said it is hasn't been answered.

You might not agree with the content (I wouldn't expect you to) but you can't suggest that something is not being answered just so your brethren can wholeheartedly clap to agree. It paints a false narrative.

But now, given that you are insistent that questions asked receive answers please respond to this;
    Why do you think we see way more threads on Boards complaining about what feminists/liberals are doing, that threads trying to discuss genuine issues which men collectively face as a group or which society itself is facing and how to explore and resolve such issues?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,523 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

I myself have posted twice in relation to this, and don't think I am the only one and this is the second time Silentcorner that you have said it is hasn't been answered.

You might not agree with the content (I wouldn't expect you to) but you can't suggest that something is not being answered just so your brethren can wholeheartedly clap to agree. It paints a false narrative.

But now, given that you are insistent that questions asked receive answers please respond to this;
    Why do you think we see way more threads on Boards complaining about what feminists/liberals are doing, that threads trying to discuss genuine issues which men collectively face as a group or which society itself is facing and how to explore and resolve such issues?

most of the femanist stuff you hear about is not just positivity towards women it is about positivity towards women by being negitive about men.
    most people would have no problem with talking about how great women are.

most threads about mens rights get locked becasue trolls come in and take them off topic in a very obvious way that is very clearly about shutting down mens voices. there is only one thread that has thankfully survived and that is thanks to the regular posters activly trying to keep it on topic and not biting onto the trolls coments.

In fairness, there is a mens rights thread in The Gentlemans Club. However, in the main, its appears more concerned with them and us and complaining about women than proposing solutions to the genuine issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,425 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

anewme wrote: »
    I know you are the mod of The Gentlemans Club, so I'm surprised you would levy these terms at anyone else given the content there. Im referring to the thread titled mens rights.its just wall to wall victims and poor men. Maybe you havent read that thread.

I'd say them vs us and Victimhood apply more there.

When you have posts using innocent little children kidnapped by Boku Haram in Nigeria to pointscore as a them vs us Agenda, something is seriously amiss.

I had a look at that thread and it's men discussing issues they face or see in the world around them from a male perspective. In the Gentleman's Club that's hardly a surprise.

The reference to kidnapped children was highlighting the difference in the reporting and public reaction to the kidnapping of girls versus boys.

The men posting there are giving examples of how they feel discriminated against. Not everyone will agree with some or even all of them, but they are actually listing scenarios and examples.

None have been given here from the perspective of women, I'm one of several who asked.

I'm a woman, well past the first flush of youth and am aware of how women were oppressed in the past, both from earlier life experiences and stories from parents and grandparents. But now? I just don't see, I have a very privileged life and have full control in all my life choices. I think the last hurdle to full autonomy was the passing of the abortion referendum, Irish women no longer have to face the lonely trek to the UK.

• Advertisement

most of the femanist stuff you hear about is not just positivity towards women it is about positivity towards women by being negitive about men.

most threads about mens rights get locked becasue trolls come in and take them off topic in a very obvious way that is very clearly about shutting down mens voices. there is only one thread that has thankfully survived and that is thanks to the regular posters activly trying to keep it on topic and not biting onto the trolls coments.

I would strongly disagree with this statement in bold, not suggesting that it there aren't examples of it, but that there is an overwhelming focus on being negative about men. Or maybe just advocating for opportunities for women is deemed to be being negative about men.

AS to your second paragraph, I'm on Boards quite a lot (too much over the last year given the situation we are in) and no examples of threads are coming to mind that has been shut down so as to avoid mens voices. Again, I'm sure there are examples, but before you suggested it, I had no sense that that had happened and would be surprised if it had without that itself becoming a conversation piece here.

I directed the question at that poster.

All the same, do you have the post# for your answer?

Because what feminists/liberals have done is to implement their policies/beliefs and embed them within society. It's already in society, and it's presence is there to be felt by most males at some stage in their lives. Men, collectively as a group, are on the receiving end of the accusations of toxicity, abuse, etc. Which is present and promoted within society, and has even, become somewhat accepted enough to be spoken of in the media without any eyebrows being raised. Seems pretty reasonable to bring that up on boards.

As for exploring and resolving such issues... it's not going to happen because feminism is established within society at all levels, and aggressively guards it's influence. Which is why there has been so much pressure within the last decade to diminish the importance of fathers, the attacks on men as role-models, the pushing of toxic masculinity, the... I could go on.. and on.. there's no shortage of examples for how Feminism (and liberal progressives) have sought to alienate men, and make it unreasonable for them to seek any kind of resolution that involves equality.

In any case, the simple truth is that men don't have the community attitude that women do, nor the desire to get together to solve these issues. Most men see themselves as Islands, with their lives being separate from others, along with their problems being for them to solve alone. Women, on the other hand, are far more sociable and interested in social confirmation/sympathy about problems, thus generating more interest/support.

I've spent time with a variety of Male rights groups both online and offline, and they're mostly support groups, for men to talk and get advice. Sometimes there's financial support for struggling fathers in legal problems, but there isn't the network needed to provide any kind of resistance to feminism.. and the unfairness that is present in law or society.. Just as I've encountered feminists protesting these meetings, aggressively both verbally and physically intimidating the people seeking to attend the events, and considering the attitude of forgiving female led violence towards males... it can push a lot of men to stop attending. And there's nothing that can be done to stop it.

If you re accusing me of being a troll for speaking out that people are using kidnapped innocent children in danger to push an Agenda, then mea culpa.

If you honestly believe the world cares less that little boys were kidnapped than girls, then I cant say any more to you.

I would strongly disagree with this statement in bold, not suggesting that it there aren't examples of it, but that there is an overwhelming focus on being negative about men. Or maybe just advocating for opportunities for women is deemed to be being negative about men.

AS to your second paragraph, I'm on Boards quite a lot (too much over the last year given the situation we are in) and no examples of threads are coming to mind that has been shut down so as to avoid mens voices. Again, I'm sure there are examples, but before you suggested it, I had no sense that that had happened and would be surprised if it had without that itself becoming a conversation piece here.

a huge amount of it is negative toward men. toxis masculinity, patriarci , pay gaps,all men are rapists etc. not all obviously but a lot.

threads getting locked for this happens when ever a mens rights thread starts.i remember it happening several times. .

If you re accusing me of being a troll for speaking out that people are using kidnapped innocent children in danger to push an Agenda, then mea culpa.

If you honestly believe the world cares less that little boys were kidnapped than girls, then I cant say any more to you.

im not calling you a troll.
    that was aimed at posters with very low post counts who come into those threads with the sole purpose of derailing them and ruining the debate.

sadly the reporting on that case speaks for itself. my opininion doesnt reall matter when the facts clearly show the bias towards girls over boys in this case

• Advertisement

In fairness, there is a mens rights thread in The Gentlemans Club. However, in the main, its appears more concerned with them and us and complaining about women than proposing solutions to the genuine issues.

I don't see any fairness in your post above.

Its a thread that seeks to highlight the unfairness that men often can receive in western culture. Why highlight it? For the same reason, that feminist websites concentrate on showing women as being victims. It seeks to encourage men to realise that we're all in this together, and eventually, we'll have to deal with it.

There's very little complaining about "women" on the thread. There's a lot of complaining about laws, and policies/initiatives that seek to elevate women over men in society.

You're just encouraging the extension of the double standard. It's fine for women to complain about what "men" do, but when men do anything similar, then it's something negative.

As for solutions, its a very long thread, and there have been various suggestions made, but the simple truth is that there isn't the collective will among men to campaign against it. They'd prefer to knuckle down, and hope someone else will resolve it before it comes knocking on their own door.

I don't see any fairness in your post above.

Its a thread that seeks to highlight the unfairness that men often can receive in western culture. Why highlight it? For the same reason, that feminist websites concentrate on showing women as being victims. It seeks to encourage men to realise that we're all in this together, and eventually, we'll have to deal with it.

There's very little complaining about "women" on the thread. There's a lot of complaining about laws, and policies/initiatives that seek to elevate women over men in society.

You're just encouraging the extension of the double standard. It's fine for women to complain about what "men" do, but when men do anything similar, then it's something negative.

As for solutions, its a very long thread, and there have been various suggestions made, but the simple truth is that there isn't the collective will among men to campaign against it. They'd prefer to knuckle down, and hope someone else will resolve it before it comes knocking on their own door.

sadly there is a lot of truth to this. if we could organise ourselves properly men could start to acheive equality but sadly this wont happen with the way mens rights movements are run.

femanism has done a great job of marketing its self and pulling women together to support it.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭fantaiscool

livia21 wrote: »
    It's nothing short of bizare to hear men tell me what feminism is.I am a Feminist 48 yr old with 3 sons aged 22 -29.

I have no inkling to wipe out my sons...I don't think they want to wipe me out either.. FFs lads Feminazi ??

Most of the really bad posts are coming from the usual suspects. No surprise that they are National Party supporters.

I had a look at that thread and it's men discussing issues they face or see in the world around them from a male perspective. In the Gentleman's Club that's hardly a surprise.

The reference to kidnapped children was highlighting the difference in the reporting and public reaction to the kidnapping of girls versus boys.

Insinuating that anyone would care less about boys or girls kidnapped and in danger is something I find abhorrent.

To most people, they are all children. They should not be used to push an Agenda.

To infer that women are promoting a them vs us and "blessed victimhood" when that thread is doing exactly that is what I'm pointing out.

I don't agree either that women should be grateful because that they had it better than their granny or mother. Thats just progress. Men have it better now as well.

The constant whinging here and putting women down is what I have an issue with.

Feminazi, blue haired lesbians, change the bloody record. It's not just women either.

You dont see a thread every second day bitching about men, fat men, bald men, old men. No one gives a crap.

I know you believe that there are just assholes everywhere, but has to be said there are a lot more asshole men than women.

Its about basic respect.

[/B]

sadly there is a lot of truth to this. if we could organise ourselves properly men could start to acheive equality but sadly this wont happen with the way mens rights movements are run.

It's not just that. Feminism retains the dominant position, and in the eyes of most people, women still need help. While that belief exists, men's rights movements aren't going to gain much traction.
    femanism has done a great job of marketing its self and pulling women together to support it.

Nah. It's the illusion that women have pulled together to support it.. because ask twenty women what feminism means to them, and you'll likely get mostly different answers.

Feminism succeeded in gaining momentum because it started from a righteous position. Women were discriminated against. That was obvious.. and the movement started in a period where social change was becoming more popular, but still quite naive it how it was applied. Modern feminism continues from the momentum gained from that previously justifiable position.

The difference here is that men don't have that same measure of sympathy. Yet. Given another twenty years, with more laws 'protecting' women, a greater drop in the numbers of men having children, etc, then we'll see men receiving more sympathy and an environment where they can ask for equality.

But it's a long way off yet. Society has a blindspot when it comes to feminism. Until the double standards stop being applied.. nothing will improve.

Most of the really bad posts are coming from the usual suspects. No surprise that they are National Party supporters.

Who are these usual suspects, and I assume you have proof that they're national party supporters? (actually I assume you're making **** up)

It's not just that. Feminism retains the dominant position, and in the eyes of most people, women still need help. While that belief exists, men's rights movements aren't going to gain much traction.

Nah. It's the illusion that women have pulled together to support it.. because ask twenty women what feminism means to them, and you'll likely get mostly different answers.

Feminism succeeded in gaining momentum because it started from a righteous position. Women were discriminated against. That was obvious.. and the movement started in a period where social change was becoming more popular, but still quite naive it how it was applied. Modern feminism continues from the momentum gained from that previously justifiable position.

The difference here is that men don't have that same measure of sympathy. Yet. Given another twenty years, with more laws 'protecting' women, a greater drop in the numbers of men having children, etc, then we'll see men receiving more sympathy and an environment where they can ask for equality.

But it's a long way off yet. Society has a blindspot when it comes to feminism. Until the double standards stop being applied.. nothing will improve.

ask 20 femanists and you will get 20 answers on what is femanism but they will all be somewhat in the same area . femasinsm has one a great job of pulling all those view points and opinions under one umbrella so to speak.

it was very easy for feminism to start out. women were treated crap and needed to gain all those rights. . most rational and well rounded people could see that change was needed. its very easy to point out the in equality when it was so blatant.

Sorry you dont think I'm being fair, its genuinely not meant that way. I believe its totally the other esynriund- the terms were levied at women I'm pointing out ut goes both ways.

It reads as if its used to knock women down instead of building men up. It reads as if people are more consumed with looking for wrong, rather than making things right.

Using terms here such as "them v us' and 'the blessed victimhood' when to me anyway, it reads like that thread is full if it seems more like double standards.

Because what feminists/liberals have done is to implement their policies/beliefs and embed them within society. It's already in society, and it's presence is there to be felt by most males at some stage in their lives. Men, collectively as a group, are on the receiving end of the accusations of toxicity, abuse, etc. Which is present and promoted within society, and has even, become somewhat accepted enough to be spoken of in the media without any eyebrows being raised. Seems pretty reasonable to bring that up on boards.
    It is splitting hairs in terms of literal meaning to some degree but they would argue that it is better to be on the receiving end of accusations of toxicity and abuse than to be on the receiving end of toxicity and abuse itself and again, that is not to say that no man suffers in such way, but that generally, it seems that in many fields men still experience a position of natural authority and women seeking to get involved in that field receive pretty harsh judgement when doing so. Take responses to female commentators, referees etc recently which have made the news as an example.
    As for exploring and resolving such issues... it's not going to happen because feminism is established within society at all levels, and aggressively guards it's influence. Which is why there has been so much pressure within the last decade to diminish the importance of fathers, the attacks on men as role-models, the pushing of toxic masculinity, the... I could go on.. and on.. there's no shortage of examples for how Feminism (and liberal progressives) have sought to alienate men, and make it unreasonable for them to seek any kind of resolution that involves equality.
    I think when you look around society and see many of the public figures, commentators, positions of authority with companies, elected officials, members of government etc, they are still predominantly men. So I don't think too many feminists/liberals would even feel they have embedded their beliefs to any great degree yet. Or if so, just what are these beliefs doing?
    In terms of attacks on men as role models, can you be more specific? Are there any examples of this which you are thinking of?
    In any case, the simple truth is that men don't have the community attitude that women do, nor the desire to get together to solve these issues. Most men see themselves as Islands, with their lives being separate from others, along with their problems being for them to solve alone. Women, on the other hand, are far more sociable and interested in social confirmation/sympathy about problems, thus generating more interest/support.
    And this is something which I think men should work on in order to bring about change for their own benefit rather than simply being frustrated that women have been successful in doing so. As I said here already, I suspect that many women would also attend and contribute to such groups and voices if they felt it was a just cause. Think of all the women you know personally, sisters, cousins, colleagues, etc, do they strike you as wanting to have you suffer just for their enjoyment, society is partially made up women who have male people who they are close to who they also want to see being treated fairly and content.
    I've spent time with a variety of Male rights groups both online and offline, and they're mostly support groups, for men to talk and get advice. Sometimes there's financial support for struggling fathers in legal problems, but there isn't the network needed to provide any kind of resistance to feminism.. and the unfairness that is present in law or society.. Just as I've encountered feminists protesting these meetings, aggressively both verbally and physically intimidating the people seeking to attend the events, and considering the attitude of forgiving female led violence towards males... it can push a lot of men to stop attending. And there's nothing that can be done to stop it.
    Firstly, every large movement started with 2 people having a conversation so just because there isn't large network now, doesn't mean there can't be.

As for the bit in bold, where has this happened? I haven't heard any instance of it discussed in Irish media but again, if such a thing has happened, doesn't mean people should give in. Most media commentators in Irish media are still male and I would be surprised if they did not allow a representative to talk about such things happening.
    There are people who still protest outside medical centers where abortions are being carried out but that doesn't stop pro-choice activists making their arguments. If some people don't want you to have a voice, as long as what you are saying is reasonable, then that alone will bring many people to look favorably on you or at least support your right to be heard.

im not calling you a troll.
    that was aimed at posters with very low post counts who come into those threads with the sole purpose of derailing them and ruining the debate.

sadly the reporting on that case speaks for itself. my opininion doesnt reall matter when the facts clearly show the bias towards girls over boys in this case

Point taken, paragraph 1.

Still dont agree with the bias paragraph 2.

• Advertisement

it was very easy for feminism to start out. women were treated crap and needed to gain all those rights. . most rational and well rounded people could see that change was needed. its very easy to point out the in equality when it was so blatant.

I wouldn't say it was easy to start out, although it really depends on whether you're considering the original suffragettes as being feminists.

In any case, feminism (60s/70s) rode along with the civil rights movements in the US and Europe, combined with the union movements for workers rights, racial equality, anti-war, etc It had a following that was a mishmash of agendas, and supporters.. and so, lodged in the minds of people long after the other movements had dissipated.

I wouldn't say it was easy to start out, although it really depends on whether you're considering the original suffragettes as being feminists.

In any case, feminism (60s/70s) rode along with the civil rights movements in the US and Europe, combined with the union movements for workers rights, racial equality, anti-war, etc It had a following that was a mishmash of agendas, and supporters.. and so, lodged in the minds of people long after the other movements had dissipated.

i dont mean that the journey was easy but that it was an easy starting ioint.

Sorry you dont think I'm being fair, its genuinely not meant that way. I believe its totally the other esynriund- the terms were levied at women I'm pointing out ut goes both ways.

What terms were levied at women? Women now.. not the organisations pushing "equality".

[I've no idea what esynriund is]
    It reads as if its used to knock women down instead of building men up. It reads as if people are more consumed with looking for wrong, rather than making things right.

As I said.. double standards. I've read a fair few feminist websites, and what is on the Men's rights thread is tame in comparison.
    Using terms here such as "them v us' and 'the blessed victimhood' when to me anyway, it reads like that thread is full if it seems more like double standards.

Except that it's not. Where is the double standard being applied on the thread?

The blessed victimhood is just something Wibbs said. It's not a common expression, and while Wibbs is pretty awesome, he's not our official representative. All the same, the victim card is extremely common with feminism, which is why he referred to it.

Point taken, paragraph 1.

Still dont agree with the bias paragraph 2.

if there was no bias then why was it reported diferently,. why was there no hash tags from celebrities demanding the boys be released or a media frenzy . but there was when they were girls.

[/B]

I see your point here.

What I will say goes back to your previous point about trolls I suppose.

While I cant comment on mens rights groups, In general here, I find women to be more balanced and aligned in views and on the whole more articulate as a group. Maybe that's because there are less.

The men on the whole are way more diverse from the articulate to the thundering bullies and trolls. So, the genuine issues are getting watered down by the thundering bullies and then there ends up with killings and the thread gets closed. So maybe that was their objective in the first instance? . What I do find, is that men as a whole are a lot less likely to call out other men behaving badly or ignorantly. Then you see men who do disagree with the groupthink being dismissed offhand as white knights etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,425 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Insinuating that anyone would care less about boys or girls kidnapped and in danger is something I find abhorrent.

To most people, they are all children. They should not be used to push an Agenda.

To infer that women are promoting a them vs us and "blessed victimhood" when that thread is doing exactly that is what I'm pointing out.

I don't agree either that women should be grateful because that they had it better than their granny or mother. Thats just progress. Men have it better now as well.

The constant whinging here and putting women down is what I have an issue with.

Feminazi, blue haired lesbians, change the bloody record. It's not just women either.

You dont see a thread every second day bitching about men, fat men, bald men, old men. No one gives a crap.

I know you believe that there are just assholes everywhere, but has to be said there are a lot more asshole men than women.

Its about basic respect.

That poster highlighted that when girls were kidnapped their gender was referenced and high profile figures spoke out for their release. The kidnapped boys were just "students", no reference to their gender.

I never said women should be grateful that things are better now so I'm not sure where that came from. All I said was that women were oppressed in the past but I don't see it now.

The "blue haired lesbian" trope has been mentioned more by you than anyone else. One poster said it when the thread was in AH. Threads and generalisations about women on an Irish forum are not examples of women being oppressed.

There will always be misogyny and misandry among a minority of the population, but neither are endemic.

Can you give any real world examples of how women are oppressed in Ireland today? Not references to posts and throw away comments here, but things that negatively affect our day to day lives.

As I said.. double standards. I've read a fair few feminist websites, and what is on the Men's rights thread is tame in comparison.

Link please.

Is this where you are getting your perception that feminist ideals are embedded in society. Would you take a subreddit on MGTOW as evidence that men are collectively rising up and pushing back against this?
    All the same, the victim card is extremely common with feminism, which is why he referred to it.

It's frequently common in undermining a womans argument before it has even been heard. No doubt some use it up front, but some men have ready made excuses they turn to also. Neither gender can be 100% absolved of this.

There will always be misogyny and misandry among a minority of the population, but neither are endemic.

Neither should be tolerated. Full stop.
    Can you give any real world examples of how women are oppressed in Ireland today? Not references to posts and throw away comments here, but things that negatively affect our day to day lives.

That is a leading question. What do you define as oppressed? That they have zero control over something? Thankfully, since the 8th was repealed I'm not thinking of any outright examples of oppression.

Is there a notable body or person saying that all women in Ireland are oppressed?

Can you only advocate for improvement when you are completely oppressed?

if there was no bias then why was it reported diferently,. why was there no hash tags from celebrities demanding the boys be released or a media frenzy . but there was when they were girls.

I believe its nothing to do with them being boys or girls.

All I can say us maybe because the girls were taken first, so it was new, so more shocking. Not sure if that makes sense what I'm trying to say. Not that it makes it right.

Same as Gordon Elliott got lambasted for the photo, but the other lad in the video did not receive the same negativity.

I was in Chaing Mai when the kids were in the Cave. Everyone around the world was behind getting those kids out. If it happened again, it might not receive the same focus.

• Advertisement

I see your point here.

What I will say goes back to your previous point about trolls I suppose.

While I cant comment on mens rights groups, In general here, I find women to be more balanced and aligned in views and on the whole more articulate as a group. Maybe that's because there are less.

The men on the whole are way more diverse from the articulate to the thundering bullies and trolls. So, the genuine issues are getting watered down by the thundering bullies and then there ends up with killings and the thread gets closed. So maybe that was their objective in the first instance? . What I do find, is that men as a whole are a lot less likely to call out other men behaving badly or ignorantly. Then you see men who do disagree with the groupthink being dismissed offhand as white knights etc.

thats a fairly accurate assesment i think.

men are a lot lees likely to speek up generally in society anyway. a lot of men just keep their heads down and plod along and hope for the best.
    a lot of mens jobs and hobbies etc revolve around dealing with other men and keeping the peace is one of the best ways to get along and advance yourself in these situations . so roacking the boat by complaining about such bad behaviour doesnt help the person complaining it only alienates them and leads to less opertunities for them.
    women tend to work in a lot more oficial jobs with hr and proper ways to deal with complaints wth no comback on the complaier largely. women also back each otehr up a lot more so that helps

Advertisement