Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Modern Feminism-Good for Society?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,399 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Coybig_ wrote: »
    What a disgusting, blatant misrepresentation of the situation.

The ladies football game had a venue and a date in Semple Stadium which they decided to change due to wanting to accommodate a few dual players.

As a result of wanting to change the date and complications which arose out of this, they went to Limerick GAA and asked could they use the Gaelic Grounds.

Limerick informed the LGFA that they would require the use of the ground for the Senior Hurlers, but if the senior hurlers did not qualify for the All Ireland final, then the women's game could be played there as the mens team would have had no use.

Knowing this, and knowing that Limerick were likely to win the Semi Final (as bookies favourites), the LGFA decided to publically announce the game in the Gaelic Grounds anyway.

So the game wasn't moved because a mens team wanted it for a training session. It was always intended to be used for that purpose, and the women were told they could have it if the men didnt qualify for the final. The men did qualify, the LGFA were spectacularly in the wrong but people like yourself will try to paint this as some horrible disrespect to women.

Fair play. You explained it a lot better than I could. I'm sure there will be a reasoned response of course :rolleyes:.......

The other day I was bringing my car to the mechanic for a small issue. On the way, I could smell that a field was being sprayed with fertiliser and could see the farmer in his tractor at the far end.

Car fixed, I went to the hardware store to pick up some building supplies as I was getting a room plastered that evening.

On the way home from town, didn't I get caught behind a fecking bin lorry, although to be fair the driver did his best to pull in to let me pass when he could.

Later that night, I got my oil tank filled.

And it dawned on me that in those work scenarios, that involve heavy labour, grease, oil, getting your clothes dirty and a foul smell, that you'd never (or very, very rarely) see a woman in those roles.

Yet if I was to apply for a childcare-based job or a lot of clerical officer roles, I would be discounted for having a penis.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,126 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Ah Emmet, you're "over-egging" the pudding now. :pac:

At least you'll have a stonker for the etiquette thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,951 ✭✭✭✭anewme

I wonder will anewme be as outraged with your stereotypes as she was with the blue haired feminist one?

What's the toxic feminine stereotype?

All stereotyping to put others down is wrong and I dont see any value in doing it. It only takes from the argument put forward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭CtevenSrowder

anewme wrote: »
    All stereotyping to put others down is wrong and I dont see any value in doing it. It only takes from the argument put forward.

It's a good example of how misandry is prevalent on boards aswell. I hear one Sorcha O'Dhusigh is always at it aswell:pac:

It's a joke/pisstake account I wouldn't pay much attention.
    By my reckoning there are now accounts into double figures "belonging" to this person and new ones being added all the time.
    Constantly thanking each other's posts and an obsession with scatology are some of the dead-giveaways.

Ahhh stop. There used to be some here last year or the year before and used to drive me mad as I felt it was the same person talking to themselves and answering back in different voices. was postman or pintman or something.

Its wrong to make an extreme caricature person to deliberately wind people up, especially when people are being genuinely open to discussion, irrespective of what side they sit on.

On another note, Scatman is a great tune.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Jeez, when you lot lay into wokies, liberals, feminists, women and whatever else you’re having it’s “fair game” but one post, that might have cut a little close to the bone for some, giving an alternate view is to be mocked and ignored? Some debate.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

I always thought that “toxic masculinity” stemmed from lads being overly, or hyper, masculine but it, nearly, always seems to come from the guys who, in the real world, wouldn’t be seen as very masculine at all.

These types are the same ones who’d complain online about it “not being a real thing”. Overweight lads with ruddy cheeks and strong, negative, views of women or scrawny guys with glasses moaning incessantly about immigrants.

Thankfully these “types” are, mostly, confined to the online world and things seem to moving in the right direction in real life. Do I think modern feminism is good for society? Most certainly but while there has been a lot done there is, still, a lot more to do.

Pure projection. Male feminists match those psychical descriptions far more often than any other group I can think of. I bet if we somehow had a face reveal of all the male feminists on this site that I'd be correct. Saying all that, it's petty to focus on such things, but you brought it to the table, not me.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

I
    It's a good example of how misandry is prevalent on boards aswell. I hear one Sorcha O'Dhusigh is always at it aswell:pac:

Would you think its deliberate misandry or a big spoon stirring?

I also think there are men pretending to be women to push the Men Agenda to make women look bad, which is sad too. I commented on it last week.Not sure if it's the same one or different.

Jeez, when you lot lay into wokies, liberals, feminists, women and whatever else you’re having it’s “fair game” but one post, that might have cut a little close to the bone for some, giving an alternate view is to be mocked and ignored? Some debate.

Come on now, surely you can be more subtle than that?

You forgot "bootcut jeans" btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Don't you dare. You're one of the worst posters on this site for trying to shut down discussions, anyone whose ever been near feedback knows that. It's beyond audacious to try and pretend you care about good faith debates.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭Doctor Roast

TomTomTim wrote: »
    Don't you dare. You're one of the worst posters on this site for trying to shut down discussions, anyone whose ever been near feedback knows that. It's beyond audacious to try and pretend you care about good faith debates.

Same old tactics... So easy to see through

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭CtevenSrowder

I

Would you think its deliberate misandry or a big spoon stirring?

I also think there are men pretending to be women to push the Men Agenda to make women look bad, which is sad too. Not sure if it's the same one or different.

I think he's taking the piss, spoon stirring, joking, **** posting. A bit like the poster who posted boobs and the one who talked about blue-haired feminists. The latter two were misogyny to you according to you however.

So what about you?

Emmets posts: misandry or spoon stirring?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Pure projection. Male feminists match those psychical descriptions far more often than any other group I can think of. I bet if we somehow had a face reveal of all the male feminists on this site that I'd be correct. Saying all that, it's petty to focus on such things, but you brought it to the table, not me.

I think the stonetoss comic on male feminists always sums it up best : http://stonetoss.com/comic/with-friends-like-these/

Usually there to hide behind their own sins or to try get in to groups laden with women for their own gains.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,891 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Saying all that, it's petty to focus on such things, but you brought it to the table, not me.

Very, very shallow as well. Not sure what someone's appearance has to do with anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Mod: Rein it in. If you're that confident in your point of view, it will stand on its own merit. Argue the content of the commentary and not the person making it.

I think he's taking the piss, spoon stirring, joking, **** posting. A bit like the poster who posted boobs and the one who talked about blue-haired feminists. The latter two were misogyny to you according to you however.

So what about you?

Emmets posts: misandry or spoon stirring?

Not sure where I sit.

The blue haired feminist one, definitely meant it, was not a joke, so yep, misogny defo.

The boobs one seems to be explained ss a joke that harps back to the past, do while appearing outwardly misogynistic, might not be meant that way.

Neither of those people were caricatures.

Three ways of looking at this.

1. Windup
    2. Trying to get men to turn on women.- promoting misogyny
    3. Trying to get women to turn on men- promoting misandry
    It it's just gone off on a tangent that will be hard to recover.

I suppose you can be anyone you want to be on the internet though.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,583 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

The only time I've heard toxic masculinity mentioned or discussed in real life was in respect of some ad Gilette brought out.

Any time Roe McDermott is interviewed its her favourite term to use.

Doubt she will be using it from now on though.

Any time Roe McDermott is interviewed its her favourite term to use.

Doubt she will be using it from now on though.

Anyone want to pm what her brother is alleged to have done?

If you look at every mainstream article about it, the fake shock “ohh he just took a last minute trip to australia” etc.. , the fake surprise is laughable.

Also as per my stonetoss comic earlier... its always the type ,

If you look at every mainstream article about it, the fake shock “ohh he just took a last minute trip to australia” etc.. , the fake surprise is laughable.

Also as per my stonetoss comic earlier... its always the type ,
    I'm not familiar with him at all as I don't listen to 2fm. But yeah, I'd be wary of male feminists.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

As time goes on and more research and awareness is being placed on abuse featuring coercive control, manipulation , financial slavery etc.. its becoming obvious that women have just as much of a place in committing spousal abuse as men.

How many women do you know cant leave the house to see a female friend vs how many men do you know aren't allowed out to see the lads...

Zero and zero.

Be honest. How many men do you know who are expressly forbidden from seeing the lads? Bearing in mind that many men use women as an excuse. How many men do you know where it’s a very definite controlling situation?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

I'm not familiar with him at all as I don't listen to 2fm. But yeah, I'd be wary of male feminists.

My other half is friends with a self proclaimed " male feminist" , harmless fella, Soc Dem voter , the usual degree of smugness

Zero and zero.

Be honest. How many men do you know who are expressly forbidden from seeing the lads? Bearing in mind that many men use women as an excuse. How many men do you know where it’s a very definite controlling situation?

theres a few lads id know that you can only get down the pub a handful of times a year because the missus forbids it, reinforced by every time the missus is away for work or whatever they'd be on the sesh every day till she was back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

Zero and zero.

Actually I know this to be a common enough problem for men. It's not that they are expressly forbidden from seeing the lads, it's that the hassle from the lady isn't worth it. It's never been an issue for me, but then I don't go out on the lash very often and I only occasionally visit people/friends.

I know it was a major issue for a friend of mine whenever he went out. Constant calls from his Wife and nothing but grief. She was a proper control freak. Another friend was whipped by whatever girl he was seeing at the time. I'm sure both genders experience this issue though for different reasons.

Stay Free

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,552 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

A number of posts deleted

It is against site rules to run more than 1 account without specific Admin/Office permission. If you suspect anyone of doing so please report and leave modding to the mods.

Anyone openly accusing other posters of this can expect sanction for backseat modding

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Plus I've known a fair number of men who use their partners as an excuse not to go down to the pub. That's before the guys who seem to seek out a dominant mammy type partner in the first place. I've known a number of them too.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭alexv

Imagine what women and men could achieve if they simply worked together without the necessity of imposing divisive ideologies on each other.

You really don't need to imagine, just look around and see the amazing civilizations we have built together.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,267 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Ndombele threadbanned

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭kravmaga

If you search on Reddit.

• Advertisement

Wibbs wrote: »
    Plus I've known a fair number of men who use their partners as an excuse not to go down to the pub. That's before the guys who seem to seek out a dominant mammy type partner in the first place. I've known a number of them too.

I've done it myself, using my girlfriend as an excuse to avoid what I know will be a night of serious drinking. Or since many of my male friends are bachelors, I might avoid a night because I know the focus will be on chasing women.. which I have no interest in if I'm in a relationship myself.

TBH I'm not so sure about this pressuring of women on men not to go to the pub or go out with the lads. I suspect it's more to put a lid on the wife/girlfriend having her ladies nights out, since they're likely more attractive or have a greater chance of scoring if cheating is on the menu. People in relationships often get quite possessive, and a little paranoid about certain activities.

From my own experience or from seeing friends relationships, people just zone out from doing many of the things they did before they entered a serious relationship. That's not to say that women don't try to manipulate their partners.. cause they do, as do men with their own partners. Guilt trips or 'if you loved me, you'd...' malarkey is just part of the course with some people.

Advertisement