Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Modern Feminism-Good for Society?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Mod: CtevenSrowder - don't post in the thread again.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,951 ✭✭✭✭anewme

alexv wrote: »
    Same thing they've always wanted: more, more, more.

More, more, more?

How do you like it?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,961 ✭✭✭spookwoman

joe40 wrote: »
    In fairness though what can I as a man do to make Women feel safe.
    I can make make sure my own behavior isn't harmful, I can try to teach my kids to be respectful etc but apart from that I'm as helpless in all this as anyone.

Exactly what can you do and to be honest it's not your responsibility to tell other men what to do or behave.
    It all starts at home, parents be it men and women need to teach their children how to behave and that in turn leads to how they behave in later years. During their teenage years are the the most import time but with raging hormones etc each trying to be noticed sexual boundaries get crossed which does not help. Both sides need to be able to say no without being bullied or humiliated by their friends and peers
    Reality is there will always be predators out there and they cannot always be spotted and it's why should always keep an eye out and if possible not give them a chance to attack.
    Unfortunately suggesting to some to keep an eye on your drink or be careful is a big no no with a lynch mob. The response is often I should be able to walk down the street naked without being attacked or something similar. Yes we should all be able to walk around and not fear being attacked but it's not a perfect world and to say otherwise is delusional.
    Toxic masculinity, what about toxic feminism, one side of the mouth talks about women need to stick together but soon as someone thinks for themselves the other side of the mouth spews hatred and bile and bullies anyone who might say something like I've never had any problems with men.
    Just log onto twitter and you see #notallmenbutallwomen which suggests all women get harassed. I am a woman and have never been harassed, I take precautions when out and about but not against men, I'd be more worried about getting mugged. I often head off into the wilds on my own and all that time if I have met at man on my travels they have been gentlemen.
    Modern feminism is doing more damage and eroding the rights our mothers, grandmothers and before fought for. Off to bed now if anyone responds and doesn't get an answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,182 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

spookwoman wrote: »
    Modern feminism is doing more damage and eroding the rights our mothers, grandmothers and before fought for. Off to bed now if anyone responds and doesn't get an answer.
    Some grandmothers didn't get the chance. The Magdalene generation really didn't get to stand up for themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭alexv

radical feminists IN those countries defeated Isis for all of us

In fairness, besides the Peshmerga, the Syrian Arab Army, the Russian Air Force, the USAF, the French Air Force and the Iraqi Army played no small part in defeating ISIS (who still fight on). Amusingly, typing "Who Defeated Isis" into Google yields the name of the most unexpected radical feminist of all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭alexv

anewme wrote: »
    More, more, more?

How do you like it?

More or less. I'm a great believer in sharing everything out as equally as possible, especially limited commodities like employment, sympathy, privilege etc.

I am a woman and have never been harassed, I take precautions when out and about but not against men, I'd be more worried about getting mugged. I often head off into the wilds on my own and all that time if I have met at man on my travels they have been gentlemen. .

I too am female, 45 years old, working in a male dominated organisation and more then capable of looking after myself.
    I too go out alone and even lived in other countries, go on holidays alone. Most men are decent, absolutely.
    I am very surprised to hear you have never been subjected to sexual harassment, it's pretty amazing!
    I have, as have many of other females I know, I have seen it in public with women I don't know.
    It is acceptable behaviour as far as I can see. Just because you haven't experienced it, doesn't mean you should lessen the experience of those who have, nor should you downplay the behaviour of the effect it may have on some.

bubblypop wrote: »
    I too am female, 45 years old, working in a male dominated organisation and more then capable of looking after myself.
    I too go out alone and even lived in other countries, go on holidays alone. Most men are decent, absolutely.
    I am very surprised to hear you have never been subjected to sexual harassment, it's pretty amazing!
    I have, as have many of other females I know, I have seen it in public with women I don't know.
    It is acceptable behaviour as far as I can see. Just because you haven't experienced it, doesn't mean you should lessen the experience of those who have, nor should you downplay the behaviour of the effect it may have on some.

I'd say the majority have experienced it. I'm similar age bracket and I've experienced it from the mild to the very serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Ive been asking this since the start of the thread. No one knows. But it gets referred to.

since you said you knew what modern feminism was, I assumed it must be the creedo.

So you're using terms... without knowing what they mean...right

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

How many men in the UK have been physically threatened at some stage in their lives?

Conservative estimate: 99%

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,781 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Bambi wrote: »
    How many men in the UK have been physically threatened at some stage in their lives?

Conservative estimate: 99%

By women?

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

There is a thread at the moment based on the survey in the UK that all young women were sexually harassed in some way.

In it, there are comments blaming victims of harassment, what they they are wearing, the way they look at them. These are the kind of attitudes that result in women not feeling safe.

All you can do is, when you come upon these attitudes in real life, and to a lesser extent online, that you call them out.

Im sure you do anyway, but I'm being more general here.

No there isnt, nobody is blaming women for clothes etc.. in that thread, youve flung some basic tropes at the wall and hope theyll stick because its something you and the same 3-4 posters who agree with you on everything feel like has happened

JJayoo wrote: »
    So you're using terms... without knowing what they mean...right

I've explained my position many times in this thread and as I said to the other rude poster the last time, I'm not doing it again,

So take it at that, or dont..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

By women?

I would say yes.
    Most of of it isn't serious but it does happen a lot.
    A lot of women think it's ok to say that they would hurt men for doing x y or z .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭99nsr125

Not directed at anyone in particular.

But ....

I personally think what you think about feminism says a lot more about you and your own mental health than it does about feminism.

It strikes me that a lot of people seem intent on going to very dark spaces in their own minds. And others not so much.

I hope a lot of these people will be ok.

I'm not racist

But . . .

See what I did there ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭99nsr125

Not directed at anyone in particular.

But ....

I personally think what you think about feminism says a lot more about you and your own mental health than it does about feminism.

It strikes me that a lot of people seem intent on going to very dark spaces in their own minds. And others not so much.

I hope a lot of these people will be ok.

I'm not racist

But . . .

See what I did there ;-)

No there isnt, nobody is blaming women for clothes etc.. in that thread, youve flung some basic tropes at the wall and hope theyll stick because its something you and the same 3-4 posters who agree with you on everything feel like has happened

Ehhhhhhhh, but yes there is.....you dont like being challenged, ah well, such is life. Its not 3 or 4 posters have the measure either, but fire ahead.

This fella has an issue with clothes.

The world is full of males and females. However sophisticated our societies get, this still remains. You think there is no issue females dressing in sexually provocative attire - that this is fair to the males? All it's doing is contributing to objectification, and preying on a male's natural instinct. To say to "try and control yourselves" or whatever is taking no responsibility. We're in this together.

And as for this poor lad.

Dropping the hand used to be so innocent back in my day. Now I'd probably get 10 years in the clink

I mean what is the world coming to if you cant drop the hand anymore? Must be dem feminists.

99nsr125 wrote: »
    I'm not racist

But . . .

See what I did there ;-)

Yeah.

You made up a post and included the word but.

The other poster had used the word but.

All the other words were different.

You then posted it.

Twice.

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

By women?

Very odd comment. Why would it matter?

Why is it so hard to believe that I have never been harassed. I've also worked in male dominated workplaces and even served with the reserves and never been harassed or had issues with men. I don't know maybe it's how I act around them.
    I've seen women make many a man uncomfortable with teasing and "joking" even the odd arse slap on nights out and if the roles reversed those stories would be all over the internet the last few days.

• Advertisement

Why is it so hard to believe that I have never been harassed. I've also worked in male dominated workplaces and even served with the reserves and never been harassed or had issues with men. I don't know maybe it's how I act around them.
    I've seen women make many a man uncomfortable with teasing and "joking" even the odd arse slap on nights out and if the roles reversed those stories would be all over the internet the last few days.

Yep I've seen it too, and I don't have issues with men.
    I'm quite capable of looking after myself and I give as good as I get.
    But just because I don't complain about harassment doesn't mean that it doesn't exist.
    How do you think you act that they men don't say anything to you?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Samsonsmasher

Feminism is not good for women
    Feminism encourages women to feel sexually empowered and the pursue men like a man pursues women.
    The only problem is men are easy.
    A man who gets what he wants too soon from a woman puts no value on her.
    If she can give him sex that easily she can give it to any man.
    Why would he trust her let alone have a relationship or marry and raise a kid that is possibly not even his?
    Would a man sit at home all day raise the kids and do the house work while his partner or wife goes to work and is the breadwinner?
    That would be a dream come true!
    Anyway you cut it men win and women lose.
    Do women want to be conscripted?
    Work on ships oil rigs in mines on construction sites drive trucks fight war police the streets guard prisoners and clean up garbage?
    Some women do most do not

• Registered Users Posts: 16 MadameHussein

Feminism is not good for women
    Feminism encourages women to feel sexually empowered and the pursue men like a man pursues women.
    The only problem is men are easy.
    A man who gets what he wants too soon from a woman puts no value on her.
    If she can give him sex that easily she can give it to any man.
    Why would he trust her let alone have a relationship or marry and raise a kid that is possibly not even his?
    Would a man sit at home all day raise the kids and do the house work while his partner or wife goes to work and is the breadwinner?
    That would be a dream come true!
    Anyway you cut it men win and women lose.
    Do women want to be conscripted?
    Work on ships oil rigs in mines on construction sites drive trucks fight war police the streets guard prisoners and clean up garbage?
    Some women do most do not

"Any man who gets what he wants too soon from a woman puts no value on her."

Lucky escape for the woman so! She can find someone who doesn't feel so sexually inadequate that he's intimidated by other men and whose regard for women is so low that the amount of sexual partners she has is the only metric by which he can measure his respect for her.

Why does it have to be that it's either (a) the woman stays at home or (b) the man does? Maybe they divide it equally - work equal hours and enjoy equal time with their children. Sounds good to me. Or maybe it suits them to have a stay at home parent and one working - also good. Maybe it's the man who is the stay at home parent. Also great.

Do you not think fathers are good primary caregivers or something?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Samsonsmasher

"Any man who gets what he wants too soon from a woman puts no value on her."

Lucky escape for the woman so! She can find someone who doesn't feel so sexually inadequate that he's intimidated by other men and whose regard for women is so low that the amount of sexual partners she has is the only metric by which he can measure his respect for her.

Why does it have to be that it's either (a) the woman stays at home or (b) the man does? Maybe they divide it equally - work equal hours and enjoy equal time with their children. Sounds good to me. Or maybe it suits them to have a stay at home parent and one working - also good. Maybe it's the man who is the stay at home parent. Also great.

Do you not think fathers are good primacy caregivers or something?

Women care about men's futures and men care about women's pasts.
    A man who wants judge what kind of woman he is getting involved in just has took at her parents and her sexual history.
    That's what Harry didn't do to his cost.

Women judge a man first and foremost on whether he can provide for her and their future children and women always marry up not down.

College educated wealthy women are competing wirh each other for men with higher incomes and the more successful women are the less and less suitable men there are.

Men don't care how wealthy or successful women are.

They just want to know she isn't a psycho she hasn't already been pumped and dumped by the crew of a battleship and she is giving birth to their kids and not a guy on the side.

That's it

Women care about men's futures and men care about women's pasts.
    A man who wants judge what kind of woman he is getting involved in just has took at her parents and her sexual history.
    That's what Harry didn't do to his cost.

Women judge a man first and foremost on whether he can provide for her and their future children and women always marry up not down.

College educated wealthy women are competing wirh each other for men with higher incomes and the more successful women are the less and less suitable men there are.

Men don't care how wealthy or successful women are.

They just want to know she isn't a psycho she hasn't already been pumped and dumped by the crew of a battleship and she is giving birth to their kids and not a guy on the side.

That's it

Who hurt you?

Who hurt you?

That's such a tone deaf response.

Yep I've seen it too, and I don't have issues with men.
    I'm quite capable of looking after myself and I give as good as I get.
    But just because I don't complain about harassment doesn't mean that it doesn't exist.
    How do you think you act that they men don't say anything to you?
    I'd be the same able to look after myself but I don't see how that makes a difference and I don't think harassment doesn't exists, I never said I did.
    I would be regarded as introverted and I wouldn't tease or wind up people or try to make things sound like they have a sexual connotation. The complete opposite behavior is usually associated with the harassments I have witnessed. That's just an observation not a judgement.
    Culture needs to change to allow more women into management rolls, that will spread the power because harassment is often associated with power. Nurture and culture also needs to change to change the stereotypical male and how real men's should behave. Basically as I said in the other post it all starts at home.

I'd be the same able to look after myself but I don't see how that makes a difference and I don't think harassment doesn't exists, I never said I did.
    I would be regarded as introverted and I wouldn't tease or wind up people or try to make things sound like they have a sexual connotation. The complete opposite behavior is usually associated with the harassments I have witnessed. That's just an observation not a judgement.
    Culture needs to change to allow more women into management rolls, that will spread the power because harassment is often associated with power. Nurture and culture also needs to change to change the stereotypical male and how real men's should behave. Basically as I said in the other post it all starts at home.

How should "real men" behave?

That's such a tone deaf response.

How should I have replied? I mean that genuinely. It's hard for me to give a respectful reply to someone who just copy and pasted reams of red pill generalisations about women, including that women that who sleep with a man too soon have "no value" and that was also fairly derisory towards men who were the primary caregivers for their children. The latter view, that men are unsuitable caregivers, is one reason for why men have been treated unfairly in family law. If it was a well intentioned complaint about feminism then I either would have respectfully replied or not replied at all. I'm sorry I didn't exert more energy towards a comment that can basically be summed up as "feminism has made women sluts that don't have value as human beings".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭dontmindme

Ehhhhhhhh, but yes there is.....you dont like being challenged, ah well, such is life. Its not 3 or 4 posters have the measure either, but fire ahead.

This fella has an issue with clothes.

The world is full of males and females. However sophisticated our societies get, this still remains. You think there is no issue females dressing in sexually provocative attire - that this is fair to the males? All it's doing is contributing to objectification, and preying on a male's natural instinct. To say to "try and control yourselves" or whatever is taking no responsibility. We're in this together.

And as for this poor lad.

Dropping the hand used to be so innocent back in my day. Now I'd probably get 10 years in the clink

I mean what is the world coming to if you cant drop the hand anymore? Must be dem feminists.

There ya are now...the woman that has a problem with the word 'female' in describing females.

Advertisement