Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A great little country!

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,545 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

beerguts wrote: »
    It's a bit of a stretch to say there is no evidence. Black Africans have high level of unemployment and are quite insular as a group. I do think that it can be broken down further as it seems to be specifically west Africans that are more difficult to integrate.
    Don't just label these views you find uncomfortable as derived from a position of ignorance or hate, I like many others have well founded fears that we are building up social problems that will be expensive to solve. If we can avoid that by having a restrictive immigration policy that would be good. You could also argue that it would help eliminate anti immigrant views as anyone who successfully completed a stricter process would be shown to be a good fit for our society.

So please give me the evidence of this black African unemployment problem.

I'm not labelling views I find uncomfortable I'm calling them out for being untrue.

Social problems in ireland are caused by Irish people.

Most unemployed people in Ireland are Irish
    Most people in prisons are Irish
    Most homeless people are Irish.

This country has had social problems for years but now it's all down to the immigrants.

The truth is that Ireland has a very strict immigration controls. It's not an easy country to get in to for non EU people.
    Also, we need foreigners here for many reasons, to run our health service as one example.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭BnB

John Doe1 wrote: »
    Yada yada yada....... We have only been a first world country for maybe 30 years.......blah blah blah

Ya ****in' wha....?????

I'm nearly 45. Are you telling me I grew up in the 1980's and early 90's in a 2nd or 3rd world country....????

Jaysus.... If only I'd known at the time I wouldn't have let the Mammy guilt me into puttin' all me coppers into the Trocaire box every Lent.

BnB wrote: »
    Ya ****in' wha....?????

I'm nearly 45. Are you telling me I grew up in the 1980's and early 90's in a 2nd or 3rd world country....????

Jaysus.... If only I'd known at the time I wouldn't have let the Mammy guilt me into puttin' all me coppers into the Trocaire box every Lent.

Yes I grew up in the 70 and 80s in Ireland and the Trocaire box had my picture on it. Tough times.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭beerguts

murpho999 wrote: »
    So please give me the evidence of this black African unemployment problem.

I'm not labelling views I find uncomfortable I'm calling them out for being untrue.

Social problems in ireland are caused by Irish people.

Most unemployed people in Ireland are Irish
    Most people in prisons are Irish
    Most homeless people are Irish.

This country has had social problems for years but now it's all down to the immigrants.

The truth is that Ireland has a very strict immigration controls. It's not an easy country to get in to for non EU people.
    Also, we need foreigners here for many reasons, to run our health service as one example.

Yes most unemployed people are Irish there is no doubting that. But there is a problem with African unemployment from 2018
    Please see this link from our state broadcaster.
    https://www.rte.ie/news/2018/1107/1009164-esri_migrants/

Most people in prisons are Irish, again there is no doubting that. Here is the link to prison service data. It shows quiet clearly most are Irish.
    https://www.irishprisons.ie/information-centre/statistics-information/yearly-statistics/

What I am trying to say is we already have large irish population that are a burden to the state, why should we accept more people regardless of race or creed that will take up more resources. We have a great country but we have to be careful with how we structure our society going forward. There is no need to create problems we can avoid.

Most people that are homeless are Irish but I don't know why you are bringing that up.

beerguts wrote: »
    Yes most unemployed people are Irish there is no doubting that. But there is a problem with African unemployment from 2018
    Please see this link from our state broadcaster.
    https://www.rte.ie/news/2018/1107/1009164-esri_migrants/

Most people in prisons are Irish, again there is no doubting that. Here is the link to prison service data. It shows quiet clearly most are Irish.
    https://www.irishprisons.ie/information-centre/statistics-information/yearly-statistics/

What I am trying to say is we already have large irish population that are a burden to the state, why should we accept more people regardless of race or creed that will take up more resources. We have a great country but we have to be careful with how we structure our society going forward. There is no need to create problems we can avoid.

Most people that are homeless are Irish but I don't know why you are bringing that up.

I brought up the homelessness as it's an example of a social problem that exists in this country alongside other social problems that are not caused by foreigners.

You are arguing about people being a burden but the truth is that the majority of immigrants contribute to the state and are not a burden and are actually required

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

Aegir wrote:
    Its one place I would really like to visit, can you recommend any good places to stay or things to do?

Aegir wrote:
    what was Barbados like?

Lived there for 3 years. If you ever plan to go DM me for tips.

We need to stop the online bullying.

Boards would be quieter for sure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,975 ✭✭✭enricoh

murpho999 wrote: »
    I brought up the homelessness as it's an example of a social problem that exists in this country alongside other social problems that are not caused by foreigners.

You are arguing about people being a burden but the truth is that the majority of immigrants contribute to the state and are not a burden and are actually required

Immigrants are twice as likely to require the Irish taxpayer to pay the rent as native Irish. Doesn't quite fit the hardworking narrative, does it?

https://m.independent.ie/opinion/columnists/david-quinn/huge-scale-of-immigration-is-making-our-housing-crisis-worse-35498057.html

Last year, I decided to ask the Department of Social Protection what percentage of rent supplement was paid out to non-Irish EU nationals, and non-EU nationals.

As at February of last year, the figure was 35pc. This is a remarkable total. Remember, 17pc of the population is "foreign-born", so immigrants are over-represented in the figures by two to one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

^^our housing issues have little or nothing to do with immigrants and another common complaint, welfare classes, it's ultimately linked with allowing the fire (finance, insurance and real estate) sectors dictate our markets, and us continually electing governments that promote, encourage and facilitate it

Oh and we are a great little country!

• Advertisement

Depends what you want from life? I've always thought of Ireland as a nice, safe place to retire to.

If you have an adventurous spirit, Ireland is boring and banal in the extreme, simply as a factor of size.

At the same time, Ireland is an oasis compared to the chaotic realities of some other countries.

And I'd probably give a different answer tomorrow :D

enricoh wrote: »
    Remember, 17pc of the population is "foreign-born", so immigrants are over-represented in the figures by two to one.

'foreign born' does not equal immigrants, you know that of course.

If you have an adventurous spirit, Ireland is boring and banal in the extreme, simply as a factor of size.

You maybe doing adventures wrong, Ireland's fecken great for them

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    You maybe doing adventures wrong, Ireland's fecken great for them

Entirely possible Wanderer78! But then we all have a different sense of what adventure is. I'd also add as a disclaimer to my previous post that if you have an adventurous/exploratory spirit, then your home country will probably bore you no matter where you are born, with exceptions being made for giant, truly diverse countries like China, Russia, the U.S., Mexico etc.

Entirely possible Wanderer78! But then we all have a different sense of what adventure is. I'd also add as a disclaimer to my previous post that if you have an adventurous/exploratory spirit, then your home country will probably bore you no matter where you are born, with exceptions being made for giant, truly diverse countries like China, Russia, the U.S., Mexico etc.

Ah very true, if only we could move the whole country, tiernan has a point

Advertisement