Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dog very nervous after neutering

• 04-03-2021 12:29am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭

I hope someone can advise me. My 2 year LD collie was neutered last week. Since then he has become increasingly nervous and on edge. He was a rescue dog, I know he was badly treated previously. Could his current behaviour be down to hormones and general upset? He is becoming unpredictable. I don't want to part with him. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,779 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Can you give some examples of when and how he's acting on edge?
    Is he wearing a buster collar still?
    Are his stitches out yet?
    How long have you had him?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

Some animals take time to get over having any work done, anaesthesia etc. Confidence built to date can take a hit. Just reality.

Give it time. Maintain consistency and the dog should come round.

Is it doing anything worrying?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

Thanks for the replies. I have him 4 months. He still has the buster collar and getting stitches out at the weekend.
    He can be fine 99 per cent of time, but suddenly gives me the hard stare, then runs at me, snapping. He wasn't like that pre surgery.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,779 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Okay, I've seen this happen before... I think some dogs feel a bit weird in themselves after neutering, he might just be feeling a bit tender, and it's panicking him. Does everything look OK at the surgery site?
    He might also be feeling a bit panicked by the collar.
    It might be no harm to talk to the vet about getting some painkillers for him, if nothing else other than to see does it help.
    It has always resolved in the dogs I've seen it happen to. For now, don't crowd him... give him space, and if he wants to come to you, let him, and comfort him then. Otherwise, leave him be... just for now.

DBB, thank you so much! I spoke to the vet, she upped his painkillers, but it is continuing. She said put him somewhere quiet.
    You have given me hope. I feared I would have a permanently aggressive dog.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

madmaggie wrote: »
    DBB, thank you so much! I spoke to the vet, she upped his painkillers, but it is continuing. She said put him somewhere quiet.
    You have given me hope. I feared I would have a permanently aggressive dog.

Give it time, maintaining your confidence is very important.

Dogs react well to strength (not aggression)

Great news, thank you both.

Advertisement