Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Halfords Batteries

Options
  • 04-03-2021 3:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 31

A word of warning.

I picked up a battery 3 days ago.

The battery did not fit my car.
    The terminals were on the opposite side ... so could not be used.
    I had a receipt etc and went back 3 days later to exchange.
    Upon exchange they used a battery tester and said that the battery had been used.

Utter nonsense!

They did not test the battery upon sale.
    Yet they tested upon return and tried to contest the return!

Beware folks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,354 ✭✭✭greasepalm

A used battery might show fitting marks where clamps go.

Sometimes you get a dead battery as got one installed it and was dead and had to get another.

Did you have your car there to show battery was wrong and did receipt have a reg on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 wanderwhithme

greasepalm wrote: »
    A used battery might show fitting marks where clamps go.

Sometimes you get a dead battery as got one installed it and was dead and had to get another.

Did you have your car there to show battery was wrong and did receipt have a reg on it.

Could not have my car there as the original battery was DEAD!
    So no driving possible.

Receipt did not have a reg on it, they don't ask for that.

They sold me the incorrect battery to begin with for the car.

Battery still had terminal caps on - i could not connect terminals due to being located on opposite side to what it should be.
    So there were no marks UNTIL young man brings out a battery tester and proceeds to clamp the jaws onto the unused terminals.

Said that they test all the batteries on a regular basis.

I find it difficult to accept that they don't test upon sale, but do test upon return.
    By that logic they can sell you a complete dud and contest it upon return as your problem.

As mentioned, just warning others should they have need to buy or return a battery.

Did they swap it for you?

Did they swap it for you?
    Only after an argument, a call to a manager, and a bad taste in my mouth.

Yes! They did swap it!

Happy days!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Only after an argument, a call to a manager, and a bad taste in my mouth.

They made you taste the battery??? :D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

They made you taste the battery??? :D:D:D

How did he get his tongue on the two terminals at the same time?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,578 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Wrong side for car, right side for a lick.

Joking aside, I’m not sure why the op is complaining, seems like she bought the wrong battery and it’s a change of mind.

It does happen car lists battery A and when you go to fit it and open up the bonnet its battery B.

It does happen car lists battery A and when you go to fit it and open up the bonnet its battery B.

Have a look at it before you buy?

Dav010 wrote: »

In these times, not so handy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,455 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I bought a pair of wiper blades in Halfords once. I double checked the shelf catalogue and was 100% certain that I had the correct blades for the make, model and year of my car.

When I brought them home, they wouldn't fit so I brought them back. I first want back to the wipers display and consulted the catalogue to see where the blame lay - was I going to have to admit my mistake and ask them to swap, or would I be returning unsuitable goods and asking for a refund or replacement?

I went back to the display and checked the catalogue and there was no mistake on my part. So I went to the counter and explained the situation. I was referred to a specific employee who at the time was half way up a ladder stocking a shelf. I stood at the bottom of his ladder and explained the problem. I told him that I had parked right outside and invited him to come out and verify that the wipers were not the right fit for my car.

His attitude was totally 'couldn't give a XXXX'. He told me to go back to the counter, ask for a refund and that was it. Basically a polite PFO. I've since then bought four set of blades from Mick's Garage.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,012 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I really should be taking part in this but... There are cars where both terminals are on the same side of the battery, definitely within reach of Gene Simmons tongue if not the more normally equipped

L1011 wrote: »
    I really should be taking part in this but... There are cars where both terminals are on the same side of the battery, definitely within reach of Gene Simmons tongue if not the more normally equipped

Isn’t Gene Simmons the ugly guy with the long tongue, and beautiful wife?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

Isn’t Gene Simmons the ugly guy with the long tongue, and beautiful wife?

I think that’s “Long Dong Baldry” your thinking about!

Can’t understand why the OP has become such a joke from this, especially when it wouldn’t be tolerated in other threads and even more so to have moderators piling on too. They seem to have had a genuine complaint.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

Can’t understand why the OP has become such a joke from this, especially when it wouldn’t be tolerated in other threads and even more so to have moderators piling on too. They seem to have had a genuine complaint.

Lighten up Reggie!

You appear to have completely missed that there is an entire separate joke about the concept of the "bad taste in the mouth" being from the battery (rather than service); which has nothing to do with the OPs issue in any way, negative or positive.

The OP is not being made a joke of here, at all.

L1011 wrote: »
    You appear to have completely missed that there is an entire separate joke about the concept of the "bad taste in the mouth" being from the battery (rather than service); which has nothing to do with the OPs issue in any way, negative or positive.

The OP is not being made a joke of here, at all.

Negative or positive. I see what you did there 😁

I provided a warning for the benefit of others and on a consumer issues thread.

This is not "After Hours" and trolling should not be allowed.

Moderator: go moderate yourself and while at it please delete the other irrelevant comments.

I provided a warning for the benefit of others and on a consumer issues thread.

This is not "After Hours" and trolling should not be allowed.

Moderator: go moderate yourself and while at it please delete the other irrelevant comments.

No one was trolling anyone. A light hearted joke keeps us all sane.. you got the answer to your query also. Take a deep breath and relax.

• Advertisement

You aren't a mod here. However, not a single post here is trolling except possibly the one I'm quoting.

Thread has run its course.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement