Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€7.00 a kilo how long will it last

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Oh, this might interest you karlitob

https://www.farmersjournal.ie/teagasc-forecasts-3-increase-in-2021-farm-incomes-604577

“Rising lamb prices are expected to give a net margin increase per ha of 9%”

• Registered Users Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭karlitob

The price this year is very good, no doubt about it. It’s great to get a good price - but getting a good price doesn’t necessarily mean all the increase goes into your back pocket.
    For me, a kind winter has more impact on my bottom line than the price of any inputs...

My winter this year hasn’t been great - a fodder crop I put in didn’t come to much, so I had increased ration costs to offset this. My lambs didn’t thrive as well as I would have liked as we had a wet enough winter, so again more ration to finish...
    I also had higher mortality than I’d like.

Now - these things would have happened regardless of price. It’s great the price is good this year to offset my higher costs of production...

Not trying to say a good price isn’t a good thing :)
    Just an increase in sale price doesn’t automatically mean your profit goes up by the same percentage...

Thanks for that. And as you’ll see above I didn’t intimate that all the increase goes into your back pocket. On here to learn about things I don’t know. Appreciate the explanation and I can only imagine that there’s probably very little you can control.

Thanks again.

Oh, this might interest you karlitob

https://www.farmersjournal.ie/teagasc-forecasts-3-increase-in-2021-farm-incomes-604577

“Rising lamb prices are expected to give a net margin increase per ha of 9%”

Thanks - that’s interesting. Hard to know if the other lad thinks I should read something from teagasc or not. All in all, 3% increase is better than nothing but I’m not sure what the trend has been over the last few years. Has it been upwards or fluctuated.

You can say what you like but it is real life facts that matter. Averages and percentages won't pay many bills!

I can say what I like - and I often do. And the data that’s in the cso figures is real life. These are real life facts. Where else did they get them from.

Averages and percentages do pay bills - obviously. If the price you got for a lamb was 27% less than last year - instead of what we’re taking about - you’d be quoting statistics left right and centre. Even stats from teagasc which your friend seems to have issue with.

In that scenario of a price reduction and You sold a lamb for 6€per kilo and I sold mine for €4/k. - you wouldn’t quote your figure as to the reduction. You’d either quote the lowest one (like you’re friend is doing now) or you’d quote the average reduction of 5€/k

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

If you want to find out more around sheep farming, theres plenty of programmes on tv and youtube to see what the reality is like on the ground. Heres a link to a progressive young fellow to see what the economics of sheep farming is like

https://youtu.be/ONzGye9wV6g

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

karlitob wrote: »
    Thanks - that’s interesting. Hard to know if the other lad thinks I should read something from teagasc or not. All in all, 3% increase is better than nothing but I’m not sure what the trend has been over the last few years. Has it been upwards or fluctuated.

Sheep farming isn’t doing too bad if you compare it to beef for instance.
    But, sheep farming is a poor return compared to dairy.
    Sheep farming would be even worse if compared to most of farm jobs I think, as would a lot farming enterprises...

It’s all relative isn’t it?

I think it’s fair to say though, that sheep farming is poor job. Returns might be up this year, but overall it’s been on a downward path for as long as I remember. I remember we sold lambs in the early 90s for 100punts (so 127euro) those lambs this year might sell you 150euro...
    Not much of an increase in 30 years :(

But it must be said as well that subsidies have screwed the market...

A lot of people including myself do it cos they like it. But financially I suspect I would be better off getting a part time job in Lidl or the likes.

As for Teagasc, it’s easy to give advise when the advise you give doesn’t impact you financially...
    They would have a lot of advisors - offering a 9-5 service to farmers. Let’s not forget a lot of farmers now are part time, so 9-5 isn’t very useful... Some of their advisors wouldn’t be great, some would be very good, but they have to follow the company line - regardless of what they might think personally...
    But, am sure others would have different views on Teagasc...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,552 ✭✭✭kk.man

karlitob wrote: »
    I’m not gonna get into explaining what an average is. Clearly you didn’t get to all depots - just the one you went to. Whatever way you cut diesel, oil, petrol is cheaper now and has not increased the 30% that you say it has.

I know nothing about teasasc. Are you trying to intimate that the cso can’t be trusted?
    It was dirt cheap last April/may throughout the country not just in the depot I got it in. Oil collapsed after the Covid-19 went pandemic.

I remember telling a work colleague what I had done purchasing cheap auto diseal. She is not a farmer and the shock on her face I won't forget. It wasn't a shock of the price it was a shock of the type how could you buy all that diseal and pay out a lump sum for it.
    Only last week I saw her in the petrol station putting diseal in her car I had a look at the price and smiled to myself. It learn me a lesson I'll never give advise to another adult as long as I live. You just can't teach ppl to make money or save it.

I will post my receipt later tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

kk.man wrote: »
    It was dirt cheap last April/may throughout the country not just in the depot I got it in. Oil collapsed after the Covid-19 went pandemic.

I remember telling a work colleague what I had done purchasing cheap auto diseal. She is not a farmer and the shock on her face I won't forget. It wasn't a shock of the price it was a shock of the type how could you buy all that diseal and pay out a lump sum for it.
    Only last week I saw her in the petrol station putting diseal in her car I had a look at the price and smiled to myself. It learn me a lesson I'll never give advise to another adult as long as I live. You just can't teach ppl to make money or save it.

I will post my receipt later tonight.

Start a thread. I'm happy to read all money making/ cost saving advice lol.

Advertisement