Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming Drones

Options
  • 04-03-2021 11:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I'm working on a project with a friend regarding existing technologies that can be adapted for better output and safety. We analysed various industries and different technologies and farming along with construction, were the industries we saw some real potential.

My father-in-law is a semi-retired beef farmer and one thing I noticed is that he spends a lot of time walking the fields to inspect the land and his herd. I know he enjoys it to a degree and it keeps him fit, but he also complains about it. I'm not a farmer so being honest, I am looking at this without the affinity to the land or the animals, and I think this is a big part of farming.

I wanted to get an idea of how farmers felt about embracing new technologies. I know a lot of people on this forum would be tech-savvy so the results may be skewed, but I would be interested in seeing what people thought nonetheless.

One of the areas we looked at is the use of drone technology for both precision farming and maximising the working day. I know this is gaining traction in the like of the US, but the farm set up is a lot different to here and some farms are the size of our counties!

Would you guys embrace drones if they made your day to day life easier or do you prefer the outdoor life and connection to the land? I know there is room for a happy mix but some might just like it the way it is. A lot has changed since Covid and people are embracing technology more with the likes of virtual marts, I know my FIL would never have dreamed of using a virtual mart, but needs must.

Would you be interested in getting an aerial view of your holdings to see where needs attention, what needs to be sprayed, are certain areas growing quicker than others etc? Would livestock farmers be interested in drone technology that allowed them to see where their animals were - perhaps integrating tag readers, heat cameras or even herd counting?

I know a lot of this technology exists, but it seems to be targeting large farms and the outlay may not be worth the expense.

If you're interested in drone farming, what benefits would you see in it or what would you like to see?

(Shoveling sh1t and cleaning the pits is not feasible, we have to wait for proper robotic AI until that's attainable!)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,590 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

What'd interest me is a drone that'd have camera technology that detects the nitrogen content of a crop, carbon content of soil, FLIR technology to tell the soil temperature and how well the crop is.
    Oh and one with spraying ability too..:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,139 ✭✭✭emaherx

As a farmer and an engineer, new technology definitely interests me but.....

I don't see a drone being of huge benefit to me in the near future.
    I think a drone for precision farming needs to be a hefty enough piece of kit to mange payloads and our almost constant wind.

The other issue with my farm and many others is that it is very disjointed, so range and flight out of LOS and across other peoples property would probably add add an extra layer of complexity including licensing issues.

There may however be a market for a contractor to use for mapping and crop / soil health monitoring and precision spraying etc, but couldn't see it being used daily here anytime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭Waffletraktor

What'd interest me is a drone that'd have camera technology that detects the nitrogen content of a crop, carbon content of soil, FLIR technology to tell the soil temperature and how well the crop is.
    Oh and one with spraying ability too..:D

Some of that is all ready on the market. N sensor detects different shades of green for n content. Green area index for thickness of crop but it can’t tell if you have a real bushy wheat plant with 2 tillers out needing n to push a 3rd or if you have 3 3 already and wait a while.

The next generation of sprayers will come with pulse width modulation, it allows you to control volume going out each nozzle regardless of speed or pressure, open up vari rate spraying that needs maps creating. Satellite is used atm iirc.

On crop side of things all drones and sensors fail due to not having a constant source of the same level of light.

For a suckler farmer with cows calving outside you could maybe use a drone to take photos of cows and then maybe build a simple machine learning program to train a model on images of cows calving. This might be handy as an alerting system.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Some of that is all ready on the market. N sensor detects different shades of green for n content. Green area index for thickness of crop but it can’t tell if you have a real bushy wheat plant with 2 tillers out needing n to push a 3rd or if you have 3 3 already and wait a while.

The next generation of sprayers will come with pulse width modulation, it allows you to control volume going out each nozzle regardless of speed or pressure, open up vari rate spraying that needs maps creating. Satellite is used atm iirc.

On crop side of things all drones and sensors fail due to not having a constant source of the same level of light.

The light here is going to be a tricky problem to solve alright. Most of the time it’s cloudy. Would IR work on crops?

Definitely heat detection for an animal lost in scrub or woodland would be of interest, but I reckon security might be of interest to some people too. As emaherx already said fragmentation is a big problem here compared to farms abroad. If you have to drive to an out farm and launch a drone what’s the point in having a drone? Most of us prefer to walk I reckon.

Margins are getting tighter every year so would a drone pay off?

Where I think it might be useful to me would be monitoring forestry. Spruce is basically inaccessible from year 5 to first thinning. Checking for disease or aphids 10m up would be useful.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Cran

Drones for me are limited when comes to agriculture here.
    I think next big technology jump in Ag will be robot tractors, not r2d2 farming but more like your robot lawnmower or hoover where they go back to station docks to recharge. They can work 24/7 and have other technology attached for targeted farming such as weed control or fert application.
    Sheep farming I'd like high zoom camera in every field tbh above drones

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Sacrolyte

I would love a drone that you could input certain waypoints (GPS) that would cover certain land parcels that are up to 5 miles from base. It would fly its route over these parcels ie fields and then return to base. I don’t know what the implications are of flying over private property and roads etc but I would do the course if required. I’m sure this type of drone is out there already but there so many out there it’s hard to see the wood from the trees. Feel free to offer suggestions.

blue5000 wrote: »
    The light here is going to be a tricky problem to solve alright. Most of the time it’s cloudy. Would IR work on crops?

Definitely heat detection for an animal lost in scrub or woodland would be of interest, but I reckon security might be of interest to some people too. As emaherx already said fragmentation is a big problem here compared to farms abroad. If you have to drive to an out farm and launch a drone what’s the point in having a drone? Most of us prefer to walk I reckon.

Margins are getting tighter every year so would a drone pay off?

Where I think it might be useful to me would be monitoring forestry. Spruce is basically inaccessible from year 5 to first thinning. Checking for disease or aphids 10m up would be useful.

IR works in darkness. In fact night vision cameras use IR.

A drone could travel along roads and go to the out farm. No need for you to get off the couch.

The only reason the right drone for you doesn't exist is because you have not yet given your requirements. Drones wont replace regular farmers but they could assist in a big way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

The only reason the right drone for you doesn't exist is because you have not yet given your requirements. Drones wont replace regular farmers but they could assist in a big way.

That's kind of my sentiments. I feel that farming doesn't get as much attention as other industries because, from my experience, the people involved seem content. Not in an "I absolutely love every aspect of my job" kind of way, but more in an "I'm not too bothered because it's not broken" kind of way... if you get what I'm saying.

I don't think drones could or would ever replace farming, not in this lifetime anyway. I do think they could add something and make it more efficient, and possibly offer better yields. From what I see here, if it did the right things and suited our weather and was at the right price point, then it would be interesting - the means need to justify the ends, and it would need to be proven to do so. And therein lies the conundrum, a lot of the suggestions would cost more which would push the price up to a point where the means don't justify the end.

It's a similar conclusion that we came to because when we looked at the technology that was already there, it seemed quite narrow and targeting a very specific kind of farmer. Large connected holding, good weather, minimal intrusion with a very limited crop variety. I'm sure that's down to where they feel this is where the money lies and involves the least amount of work, so there's better profitability or at least a better chance of a sale.

Thanks for the feedback folks and please add to it. It's been great to get this kind of insight and gives a lot of food for thought!

RoboRat wrote: »
    That's kind of my sentiments. I feel that farming doesn't get as much attention as other industries because, from my experience, the people involved seem content. Not in an "I absolutely love every aspect of my job" kind of way, but more in an "I'm not too bothered because it's not broken" kind of way... if you get what I'm saying.

I don't think drones could or would ever replace farming, not in this lifetime anyway. I do think they could add something and make it more efficient, and possibly offer better yields. From what I see here, if it did the right things and suited our weather and was at the right price point, then it would be interesting - the means need to justify the ends, and it would need to be proven to do so. And therein lies the conundrum, a lot of the suggestions would cost more which would push the price up to a point where the means don't justify the end.

It's a similar conclusion that we came to because when we looked at the technology that was already there, it seemed quite narrow and targeting a very specific kind of farmer. Large connected holding, good weather, minimal intrusion with a very limited crop variety. I'm sure that's down to where they feel this is where the money lies and involves the least amount of work, so there's better profitability or at least a better chance of a sale.

Thanks for the feedback folks and please add to it. It's been great to get this kind of insight and gives a lot of food for thought!

Not sure I'd agree with all of that, farmers have since the beginning of time embraced and often pioneered new technologies, even the smallest farmers on this little green island.

If farmers see a need for a drone and it's proves to be economically viable then they will become common place, otherwise they'll never take off. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

emaherx wrote: »
    Not sure I'd agree with all of that, farmers have since the beginning of time embraced and often pioneered new technologies, even the smallest farmers on this little green island.

If farmers see a need for a drone and it's proves to be economically viable then they will become common place, otherwise they'll never take off. :D

Fair point, I phrased that wrong. I was trying to say that farmers are more considered when dealing with new trends. They don't just adopt because it's new.

Just had another thought.

A drone that scans soil for moisture content before a machine enters the field and relays any soft spots back to the software system on the tractor.

Just so you'd know..

A drone that scans soil for moisture content before a machine enters the field and relays any soft spots back to the software system on the tractor.

Just so you'd know..

Possible with cheap components. Great idea. Keep them coming!

BTW, I used to work for a company that designed drones. So, I am experienced in this area.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Have one that we use to check shed roofs and gutters. Saves a lot of ladderclimbing and helps improves health and safety around the yard. Now if I could only get it to use a scrapper ... ;)

gozunda wrote: »
    Have one that we use to check shed roofs and gutters. Saves a lot of ladderclimbing and helps improves health and safety around the yard. Now if I could only get it to use a scrapper ... ;)

Part one of that is easy. Second part, might be difficult....

Just so you'd know..

It will be made obsolete by the hover tractors though.

It will be made obsolete by the hover tractors though.

Well pagers were made obsolete by SMS(although lots of pagers are still in use)
    Faxes were made obsolete by e-mail.
    The Argos catalogue was made obsolete by the Argos website(though its not as good)

Not doing something because it will be made obsolete by something else isn't a good enough reason to not do it.

Well pagers were made obsolete by SMS(although lots of pagers are still in use)
    Faxes were made obsolete by e-mail.
    The Argos catalogue was made obsolete by the Argos website(though its not as good)

Not doing something because it will be made obsolete by something else isn't a good enough reason to not do it.

You may have taken my last reply a little too seriously.

But of course how soon something becomes obsolete would be an important consideration in the development phase of any product. To be fair most of the products you mentioned had a good run before they were made obsolete.

I'd imagine tyres or tracks which can dynamically change their shape to reduce ground pressure when moving from hard to soft ground would prove more popular than an aerial servey every time you consider driving into a field.

I'd imagine tyres or tracks which can dynamically change their shape to reduce ground pressure when moving from hard to soft ground would prove more popular than an aerial servey every time you consider driving into a field.

https://www.factsmagazine.co.uk/workshop/wheels-and-tyres/tyre-pressure-control-systems-protect-vehicles-and-roads/

• Advertisement

In it's simplest form ability to change tyre pressure from the cab to suit the ground conditions will probably become more popular alright.

But I like these ones too!
    https://www.google.com/search?q=wheels+that+change+to+tracks&oq=wheels+that+change+to+tracks&aqs=chrome..69i57.10989j0j4&client=ms-android-lenovo&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8#fpstate=ive&vld=cid:13a44e66,vid:8iqODh0Czls,st:0

Could use them on the quad!

In it's simplest form ability to change tyre pressure from the cab to suit the ground conditions will probably become more popular alright.

https://www.google.com/search?q=wheels+that+change+to+tracks&oq=wheels+that+change+to+tracks&aqs=chrome..69i57.10989j0j4&client=ms-android-lenovo&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8#fpstate=ive&vld=cid:13a44e66,vid:8iqODh0Czls,st:0

I thought of the moisture idea today when out dung spreading.

Went into the field and it was perfect for the wheels tyres and air pressure. No visible clue when driving that there was soft ground ahead. No water on the surface, all grass growth the same, no real obvious surface contour that'd tell you I was going into a situation of trafficable to nearly needing a tow out in matter of feet.

I had the 4wd on anyway so was able to back out and turn and keep going.

If the technology was there on screen in the tractor, colour coded on a map of the field to show where you could and couldn't travel it'd be nice.

But then to use such a technology you'd nearly want the drone in a case with you in the tractor.

Although I have seen bigger things travelling with tractors. An umbilical slurry spreading crew have a place where they park a quad bike on their towing unit behind the tractor going from farmer to farmer.

I thought of the moisture idea today when out dung spreading.

Went into the field and it was perfect for the wheels tyres and air pressure. No visible clue when driving that there was soft ground ahead. No water on the surface, all grass growth the same, no real obvious surface contour that'd tell you I was going into a situation of trafficable to nearly needing a tow out in matter of feet.

I had the 4wd on anyway so was able to back out and turn and keep going.

If the technology was there on screen in the tractor, colour coded on a map of the field to show where you could and couldn't travel it'd be nice.

But then to use such a technology you'd nearly want the drone in a case with you in the tractor.

Although I have seen bigger things travelling with tractors. An umbilical slurry spreading crew have a place where they park a quad bike on their towing unit behind the tractor going from farmer to farmer.

No not a drone in a case, you'd get fed up mapping fields out regularly once the novelty wares off. You need a fully autonomous drone (or a swarm of drones) with a docking station in the roof of the tractor that provide live data.

No not a drone in a case, you'd get fed up mapping fields out regularly once the novelty wares off. You need a fully autonomous drone (or a swarm of drones) with a docking station in the roof of the tractor that provide live data.

I'm barely able to get in a shed as is without rising the tractor cab. :p

You can get moisture soil readings from the sentinel satellite but that can be a few days old and not very detailed.

I've seen a documentary with Gerard Butler involving swarms of drones... didn't end well.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

IR works in darkness. In fact night vision cameras use IR.

A drone could travel along roads and go to the out farm. No need for you to get off the couch.

How would the drone go along the roads when it can't be more than 300m from the operator, you'd still have to drive to the out farm.

https://www.iaa.ie/general-aviation/drones/drones-regulations-and-guidance-details-page
    18. Up to what distance and height can I operate my drone?
    You must not operate your drone beyond a distance of 300m or a height of 400ft (120m) above ground level in uncontrolled airspace. You must not operate your drone beyond a distance of 300mor a height of 50ft (15m) in certain parts of controlled airspace, see aeronautical notice U04.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭49801

Daft thoughts time... A drone that can recognize sick or lame animals would be handy for early intervention. Rock up to field and launch it and it does it’s flight pattern. hovers over sickly animal. Finds a particular tag# and applies paint marking. Be handy if you get it to count animals in a field or help track down one if your searching for a missing one.

Del2005 wrote: »
    How would the drone go along the roads when it can't be more than 300m from the operator, you'd still have to drive to the out farm.

https://www.iaa.ie/general-aviation/drones/drones-regulations-and-guidance-details-page

Much of what has been discussed here is hypothetical or possible future use of drones in agriculture. Many industries have planed use for autonomous drones, which I'd imagine would require special licensing beyond that of standard drone users.
    6. What if I want to fly my drone outside the limits prescribed in the regulations?
    If you wish to fly your drone outside the limits prescribed in the regulations you must apply for a
    Specific Operating Permission (SOP) from the IAA following training with one of the IAA
    approved drone training facilities.

49801 wrote: »
    Daft thoughts time... A drone that can recognize sick or lame animals would be handy for early intervention. Rock up to field and launch it and it does it’s flight pattern. hovers over sickly animal. Finds a particular tag# and applies paint marking. Be handy if you get it to count animals in a field or help track down one if your searching for a missing one.

Not that daft, there is already an Irish company working on that sort of AI Vision technology.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭Waffletraktor

Onboard tyre pressure inflation set ups should be mandatory for kit doing field work. Had it on a tractor here for a few days last autumn and it was eye opening, something that wasn't really thought about before.
    Being able to deflate tractors or trailers and have them air up before ging down the road, tyre tec these days goes along way to competing with tracks until you get to raw heavy draught work. Have seen a muck spreader on tracks and yanks are putting tracks on big grain chasers now all the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Last 2 years we have installed lots of security cameras..over 30 infact.

Smart lighting etc

We live miles from the farm but the cameras have reduced need to travel multiple times per day when cows are due to calve.

What I have thought would be if there was a drone that could be launched and flown remotely to look at cattle down the farm or fly a pre programmed route and then back to a charge base..kind of like a robot lawnmower

That would be pretty useful..

..and expensive no doubt

Advertisement