Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a tree surgeon please

Options
  • 04-03-2021 11:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭

Can anyone recommend a good tree surgeon in the wider Naas catchment area? Looking for a proper job (fully insured etc) to tackle a large number of very overgrown trees. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

Ian Alcock is very good.

Ianalcocktreeservices.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

Royal Tree Services Tree surgery & services

Tel: 087 9577000

He's based just outside Kildare Town

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Look up silver tree services. He cut 15ft off the top of about 15 x 40ft high leylandi trees for us for €600 last year.
    Very happy with the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭bduffy

PM sent

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭NedNew2

I also would recommend Royal Tree Services. They cut 5 metres off 15 metre high Leylandii here like they were cutting grass. Everything was pulped, recycled and cleaned up afterwards. Excellent job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭tcif

Thanks very much to everyone who replied, it was great to get the recommendations.

tcif wrote: »
    Thanks very much to everyone who replied, it was great to get the recommendations.

Just make sure to get plenty of quotes. There are a lot who will chance their arm with a ridiculous price.

JimmyVik wrote: »
    Just make sure to get plenty of quotes. There are a lot who will chance their arm with a ridiculous price.

We got one of those early on - absolutely crazy money, especially when we weren't even looking for stump grinding! When we stopped reeling I thought of asking the good folks on Boards for refs and we have a few guys coming out this week to give quotes and hopefully we'll get ourselves sorted soon.

Just for reference, we got 15ft taken off the top of 15 x 40ft high leylandi trees for €600 last year.
    I wouldnt pay any more than that kind of price.
    We were quoted anything up to €3000 for that job.
    I figure the job is worth about €150 per day per man. For hours there were 1 men there for less than 2 days including cutting and getting rid of the waste.

If i did pay €3000 that would have been €750 per day each for them. That would be a bit over the top, unless they were painting the trees with gold.

Just for reference, we got 15ft taken off the top of 15 x 40ft high leylandi trees for €600 last year.
    I wouldnt pay any more than that kind of price.
    We were quoted anything up to €3000 for that job.
    I figure the job is worth about €150 per day per man. For hours there were 1 men there for less than 2 days including cutting and getting rid of the waste.

If i did pay €3000 that would have been €750 per day each for them. That would be a bit over the top, unless they were painting the trees with gold.

Thanks very much for that, great to have some reference point for cost per tree. From 3k to 600 is a huge difference, hard to understand how the same job can get costed so differently, but we're hoping for something similar in terms of a come down from the massive quote we got.

• Advertisement

tcif wrote: »
    Thanks very much for that, great to have some reference point for cost per tree. From 3k to 600 is a huge difference, hard to understand how the same job can get costed so differently, but we're hoping for something similar in terms of a come down from the massive quote we got.

Just get them to tell you home long it will take, that you need it done quickly (so they dont exaggerate the time).
    Once they tell you a time frame then ask how many will be doing the job.

When you get this info then make them an offer and haggle, with a price of €150 per day per man in your head.

Do the same with a few quotes.

If you think they are making stuff up, drop them off your list.
    Like if one says 2 men, 2 days, use that as your base. Then if another says 2 days, 5 men or 5 days, 2 men. You know who to strike off there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

Just get them to tell you home long it will take, that you need it done quickly (so they dont exaggerate the time).
    Once they tell you a time frame then ask how many will be doing the job.

When you get this info then make them an offer and haggle, with a price of €150 per day per man in your head.

Do the same with a few quotes.

If you think they are making stuff up, drop them off your list.
    Like if one says 2 men, 2 days, use that as your base. Then if another says 2 days, 5 men or 5 days, 2 men. You know who to strike off there :)

€150/day for a fully qualified and insured tree surgeon is very low, you’ll pay that for a skilled labourer but not a proper tree surgeon. Starting point would be around €200/day for someone good unless you want to do it under the table.

We'll be making sure anyone we bring in to quote for the job is fully insured and asking if they have refs from any other local jobs etc. We want it done properly, cleanly and safely. But even just two quotes in the difference is huge - about 40% difference in the costings - and that's a lot. It doesn't seem like there's any set price per tree thing going on, just each operator has their own idea.

Advertisement